• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winter/Spring Sports (2/12 Update)

I saw an article on the men's tennis team (they're ranked 19 preseason) on the Wake Forest Sports website, so I thought I would try to wrap up the fall season and transition this thread to winter/spring Wake Forest sports.

The fall season went well, with the Deacs currently ranked 19 in the Director's Cup.

The field hockey team lost in the round of 8 to UNC. 3 of the final 4 teams were from the ACC (UNC, MD, Duke).

The men's soccer team lost in the round of 16 to eventual national champ Notre Dame. 3 of the final 4 teams were from the ACC (ND, UMD, UVA).

The women's soccer team lost in the round of 16 to UVA. 3 of the final 4 teams were from the ACC (UVA, VT, FSU).

The ACC obviously had a great fall sports season, and 5 of the top 10 Director's Cup teams are from the ACC (UVA, UNC, ND, FSU, Duke). The Wake soccer teams had pretty tough draws, and all the Wake teams lost to ACC schools in their respective tournaments.

The women's basketball season is off to a decent start. The good news is that they have won 5 straight, and Chelsea Douglass and Dearica Hamby are playing lights out. They are 1 and 2 in the ACC in scoring and Hamby is 2nd in rebounding (barely behind Devin's sister), 2nd in steals, 7th in shooting percentage, and 10th in blocked shots.

Spring sports will actually be starting soon, with the men's tennis team playing their first matches one week from Saturday.

Does anyone know how our baseball team is supposed to be this year? I've never really followed them before and would like to start.

Eh you gotta wait to the end of the year. With the lack of decent spring sports Wake will still probably end up in the 50s.

I suspect spring sports will also improve from last year. Men's Tennis should generate points and might make the sweet 16.

Women's tennis has been terrible, but the recruiting shows it on the upswing. might make the NCAAs this year.

Both golf teams should generate some points.

I suspect spring sports will also improve from last year. Men's Tennis should generate points and might make the sweet 16.

Women's tennis has been terrible, but the recruiting shows it on the upswing. might make the NCAAs this year.

Both golf teams should generate some points.

I agree that we should get more points this year, specifically for the reasons you cite. Last year we received points in men's tennis, and men's and women's golf. I think this year we will score in those sports (even higher in men's tennis) and will score in women's tennis, too. I agree with cumberland and would like to hear some opinions on the baseball team this year.

Too bad for Wake regarding Jalen Robinson, but good for him. Jay V brings some serious talent into his program. There was an article on Colin Martin, who also left Wake for DC United, about 6 months ago, and in it he sounded a little conflicted about having left college soccer. I just searched for it and couldn't find it. Anyone have a link to it?

Men's tennis with their first two matches tomorrow, Saturday Jan 11th. They play Coastal Carolina at 10 AM and UNCC at 6 PM at the Wake indoor courts. Wake is ranked 19th, and their opponents are not ranked.

Men's tennis won their first two matches of the season yesterday beating Coastal Carolina and UNCC. A new format was used in which they played 4 doubles and 8 singles matches, with the doubles worth 1 point. I think it's just an early season thing, but if that format keeps up it will benefit the Deacs because the team is very deep. Wake won both matches 9-0 and rested their #1 player for the second match against uncc.

Women's Basketball: This is an interesting team. They are 13-11, with an RPI of 101, so pretty mediocre numbers overall. But they have been playing a lot better lately, beating #23 FSU by 24 points (the largest Wake women's bball victory over a ranked team ever), close loss at NC State (ranked #10), and then a comeback from 17 down to win at Pitt (without Chelsea Douglas). Junior Dearica Hamby is awesome. She is #1 in the conference in points and rebounds, 4th in steals, 4th in FG%, and 11th in blocked shots. Senior Chelsea Douglas is 4th in conference in scoring and 1st in 3 pointers made.

Women's Tennis: They are off to the best start in school history at 7-0. This is the second Wake sport this year to get off to the best in school history, the other being volleyball. The women's team has not been good recently (they were 3-18 last year), so this has been a huge turn around for them. They have beaten #43 William and Mary, #44 VCU, and #50 Mizzou. Wake is currently ranked 61, but I think they will continue to move up as the year goes on. They are playing all freshmen and sophomores and have another highly ranked recruiting class coming next year, so their future is very bright.

Men's Tennis: This is a really good team. They're currently 6-2 and ranked #19. Their losses are close ones to #10 Texas and #14 Tennessee. They have wins over a couple of ranked teams, including #21 S Carolina. This team was in the finals of the ACC tourney last year and lost to eventual national champ UVA, and I expect they'll have another good run at the end of this year.

Baseball: They start play with the Wake Forest tournament this Saturday, and they were picked to finish 6th in the Atlantic Division.

Men's Golf: Ranked 30th and they start play next week.

Women's Golf: Ranked 28th. They finished 9th in a tough tournament this past weekend and were led by freshman Sierra Sims.

I'm missing something here. How is an undefeated team ranked below three teams they beat and only ranked 61.

I'm missing something here. How is an undefeated team ranked below three teams they beat and only ranked 61.

Good question, especially since two of those wins were on the road. Wake started the year unranked, and the ITA rankings up to this point are based on voting. I guess the voters are just slow to make changes? Starting on 2/25 the ITA weekly rankings will switch to a computer formula, so there is usually a look of movement in the rankings once that happens.

Got me. We go on the road and beat both VCU and W&M, are undefeated, and ranked behind both of them in the new poll.

Back