• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winter/Spring Sports (2/12 Update)

This is not TOB. Take this glass half full crap over there. They will lap it up.

This is stupid. You can be sure if the non-revenue sports were doing poorly, there would be plenty of support for a thread bashing Wellman for it.

At least we can all go back to agreeing that nobody really gives a shit about Wake's President's Cup ranking.

I will say the women's soccer team is off to a very good start. I've been to three games so far this season and they are a lot of fun. It's refreshing to watch a very good/well-coached Wake team play. They take on #2 FSU on Thursday at 7 and I would encourage local Deacs to come out and support the team if possible. The men's team also plays Virginia on Friday night.

Someone was not happy about beating Portland.

1233535_10151899397069238_1407727557_n.jpg

Reactions: TBR
Interesting. You learn something new every day I guess. Is that standard practice for most athletics departments? I've honestly never heard of Barbara Walker before.

I don't think it's unusual for the women's sports to be kind of a separate department. Wasn't too long ago that it was fairly common for them to be completely separate. I think Arkansas just integrated their departments under one AD, and Tennessee's might still be separate.

I would think (likely incorrectly), that women's basketball would be viewed as one of the top women's sports so that hiring process would seem like the most likely one to get AD attention.

I don't know how Hoover is as a coach (Petersen's teams were fun to watch though), but she is doing quite well on the recruiting trail.

Unfortunately or fortunately, whichever side your on, the national media is only concerned with football and basketball and to a lesser extent, baseball. We are at or near rock bottom with these three sports. We have and will always be judged on mainly these sports. I am thrilled that our other sports in the fall are off to great starts, but the national populace could care less unless they are alumni or Wake fans.

Unfortunately or fortunately, whichever side your on, the national media is only concerned with football and basketball and to a lesser extent, baseball. We are at or near rock bottom with these three sports. We have and will always be judged on mainly these sports. I am thrilled that our other sports in the fall are off to great starts, but the national populace could care less unless they are alumni or Wake fans.

most of us could not care less as well

Volleyball has always recruited top flight talent. Just not necessarily from a volleyball standpoint.

Another impressive day for the Deacs. Field hockey and men's soccer win, volleyball wins twice, and men's tennis goes 7-1 at a tournament at Duke. Romain Bogaerts, wake's #1 tennis player, looks like a potential national champ (he's currently ranked #5 in the country).

Besides football, Wake sports are on fire and they had another great weekend. Volleyball went 3-0 and won the umkc tourney, w soccer went 2-0, field hockey went 2-0, m soccer went 1-0 and beat uva, and m tennis did really well at the tourney at duke.

Everything else cubed doesn't equal football and hoops. IMHO

Besides football, Wake sports are on fire and they had another great weekend. Volleyball went 3-0 and won the umkc tourney, w soccer went 2-0, field hockey went 2-0, m soccer went 1-0 and beat uva, and m tennis did really well at the tourney at duke.

HaHa!

Everything else cubed doesn't equal football and hoops. IMHO

Hoops and fball are king for me too, but I really do enjoy seeing the other teams do well. One of my all-time favorite wake forest sports memories was the men's soccer national championship in Cary.

Bobstackfan - what's funny?

Hoops and fball are king for me too, but I really do enjoy seeing the other teams do well. One of my all-time favorite wake forest sports memories was the men's soccer national championship in Cary.

Bobstackfan - what's funny?

They're non-revenue sports for a simple reason; most fans don't care about them. It's great that the volleyball team is on fire- how many Wake fans regularly show up to watch them?

Back