• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford

Barca and I posted this yesterday on the NFL Preason thread:
Wolford passed for the only TD in the game against the Broncos
6/12 for 64 yrs, 5 rushes for 8 yrs keeping them honest. The TD was a great touch over the front line to the Wr crossing the back line of the endzone. JW showing he can be dependable with results.

With Wake not playing on final preseason Thursday for the first time in forever, might be a good time to check out John, imagine he'll get a ton of PT. Big night for him for sure

Unfortunately, following the positive comments by the coach, the article says that Wolford will likely be cut later this week.
Rams are likely to keep him on the practice squad though.

Unfortunately, following the positive comments by the coach, the article says that Wolford will likely be cut later this week.

That was always the best case scenario. I have read an article that basically said they are paying Bortles too much money this year to even consider changing their minds. Plus, he's played well - he's a pro, and a good QB, just one prone to brain-fart TOs.

The hope is that Wolford spends a year in the QB room and develops into a dependable #2 next year and they can save cap space by essentially having a cheap #2 compared to most teams. I think this is more than ideal for Wolford for a number of reasons. The fact (assuming the above happens) that he gets to absorb from one of the most respected coaching staffs in the league right now for the next few years puts him in a great spot to be a well paid college of NFL assistant by the age of 30. He's on the cusp of being a well paid football lifer regardless of whether he throws 10 or 300 NFL regular season passes.

On top of that, it is quite possible he gets to do that without sustaining half a dozen NFL concussions - a nice bonus. I think he took more than his fair share of hits when he was 18-21. It would be nice if he can go 23-30 with a fraction of those he took 18-21. Thank you, btw, Tommy fucking Elrod. Dick.

Last edited:
If Wolford makes the practice squad, he will get paid $8K a week. If he stays on the practice squad for the 17 week season, Wolford with make $136K (Wolford also received a weekly amount during training camp), and if the Rams make the playoffs and Wolford stays on the practice squad, he will get $8K a week until the Rams lose or make it to the SB.

FWIW, if Dortch makes the Jets, the rookie minimum salary is $495K or $29,117.64 per week. Next year, the NFL minimum jumps to $585K.

He may not make it through waivers to be on the practice squad. There are a few teams who don't have a backup QB ad good as Wolford looks to be. Especially for the rookie minimum salary he would make.

He may not make it through waivers to be on the practice squad. There are a few teams who don't have a backup QB ad good as Wolford looks to be. Especially for the rookie minimum salary he would make.

Really ? Which teams ?

Colts for one. Andrew Luck retired. Jacoby Brissett now #1. Phil Walker, Brian Kelly or Wolford?

I think they'd probably go with one of the borderline guys who knows their playbook rather than a borderline guy who knows the Rams playbook.

I'm pretty sure Brian Kelly is busy coaching Notre Dame this season.

How has Walker looked in practices and preseason games ?

I also think the Colts will probably bring in somebody else with some experience, which wouldn't be an awful idea for the Panthers either.

John is just wasting time until he becomes the MVP of the new XFL

Last edited:
I think they'd probably go with one of the borderline guys who knows their playbook rather than a borderline guy who knows the Rams playbook.

I'm pretty sure Brian Kelly is busy coaching Notre Dame this season.

How has Walker looked in practices and preseason games ?

I also think the Colts will probably bring in somebody else with some experience, which wouldn't be an awful idea for the Panthers either.

Colts were on my radar because of Luck's retirement. Experienced decent QBs aren't easy to find. See Eagles "finding" one on the retired list.

My main point was that waived then signed to Rams practice squad wasn't the only likely future for Wolford. As well as he had played both last spring and now this summer, some team may think he is a better option than the guys they have.
He can make all the throws.
He is accurate.
He is a good (well above average) runner as an NFL QB.

Colts were on my radar because of Luck's retirement. Experienced decent QBs aren't easy to find. See Eagles "finding" one on the retired list.

My main point was that waived then signed to Rams practice squad wasn't the only likely future for Wolford. As well as he had played both last spring and now this summer, some team may think he is a better option than the guys they have.
He can make all the throws.
He is accurate.
He is a good (well above average) runner as an NFL QB.

I agree, but it would be an interesting dilemma for Wolford. Typically, when QBs are picked up off waivers, they often get a few weeks tryout and then a second decision is made (at least I think that is accurate). In other words, a team may choose to keep 3 Qbs for the first few weeks and figure out what they have in #2 and #3 Wolford. If they end up liking the guy they had through all of training camp better, then Wolford is cut again. Something similar happened to him last year but it was the opposite - the Jets decided to give a dumbass with size (Webb) an opportunity and thus cut Wolford late. I believe they later cut Webb as well.

Anyway, I think if I was Wolford, I would turn down almost any other opportunity unless it is just exquisite (e.g., the Colts mgmt is also well respected) simply for the safer opportunity to absorb from the Rams staff. He'll be better serve long term career wise if he has in the back of his mind a coaching career after his playing career.

I'm not sure what Wolford's options would be if he were cut by the Rams and then claimed from waivers by another team and offered a spot on their 53 man roster. Particularly if the team who claims him is one of the less functional and competent ones in the NFL.

I know he would have his choice of teams for practice squad spots and Rams would make sense from that perspective.

I agree, but it would be an interesting dilemma for Wolford. Typically, when QBs are picked up off waivers, they often get a few weeks tryout and then a second decision is made (at least I think that is accurate). In other words, a team may choose to keep 3 Qbs for the first few weeks and figure out what they have in #2 and #3 Wolford. If they end up liking the guy they had through all of training camp better, then Wolford is cut again. Something similar happened to him last year but it was the opposite - the Jets decided to give a dumbass with size (Webb) an opportunity and thus cut Wolford late. I believe they later cut Webb as well.

Anyway, I think if I was Wolford, I would turn down almost any other opportunity unless it is just exquisite (e.g., the Colts mgmt is also well respected) simply for the safer opportunity to absorb from the Rams staff. He'll be better serve long term career wise if he has in the back of his mind a coaching career after his playing career.

He is not going to turn down a spot on the 53 and triple what he would make as a practice squad player on the rams. No matter what team it is if he gets that offer he is taking it.

He is not going to turn down a spot on the 53 and triple what he would make as a practice squad player on the rams. No matter what team it is if he gets that offer he is taking it.

Okay. Not sure why you are so definitive but okay. Maybe you are a better Wolford whisperer than me. I wouldn't take a spot on a 53 roster elsewhere unless the opportunity was with a really exciting organization - that on the assumption that Sean McCay has told me some things that indicate I will stay on the practice squad all year and be there in the QB room with Zach Taylor (QB coach) and the other 2 QBs with the opportunity to compete for the #2 QB role next year. I'd choose 40+ year career advantages over an extra $20,000 a week for 17 weeks. Because I think I'll be making $500 mil a year as a college or NFL assistant pretty soon after that experience when I want it.

Okay. Not sure why you are so definitive but okay. Maybe you are a better Wolford whisperer than me. I wouldn't take a spot on a 53 roster elsewhere unless the opportunity was with a really exciting organization - that on the assumption that Sean McCay has told me some things that indicate I will stay on the practice squad all year and be there in the QB room with Zach Taylor (QB coach) and the other 2 QBs with the opportunity to compete for the #2 QB role next year. I'd choose 40+ year career advantages over an extra $20,000 a week for 17 weeks. Because I think I'll be making $500 mil a year as a college or NFL assistant pretty soon after that experience when I want it.

you uh know Zach Taylor's not there anymore right

also, not a goddamn thing is guaranteed in the NFL. take the money and don't look back.

Back