• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford

There is great uncertainty that you will ever make an NFL roster even if you make a practice squad and many times that might mean just a few week stint.

If an NFL team wants to provide you with a roster spot, you damn sure take it. It might last a few weeks and it might last 1-2 years, but one thing is for sure, you are actually on an NFL roster, which is a better position than the practice squad.

There is nothing guaranteed in the NFL and no way to say you’d ever recoup that lost money

Missed this thread yesterday. What in the living fuck is jaybone talking about?

This is why I am likely so much more interesting than you - I make seemingly counter-intuitive (to the collective "you") choices;-) I don't consider them so though. If I were him, it would suck if some fucked up organization (e.g. Raiders) picked me up and kept me on their roster for a few weeks while in the meantime I lost my spot on the Rams practice squad. Then, you are back to square 1.

Nobody has convinced me that giving up $350,000 would be a poor long-term career move. The belittling, while very sports board and Trump-esque, isn't doing it. Not effective.

I guess the land of make believe is pretty interesting. You're still proposing something that violates the CBA and isn't feasible or possible.

Tangentially related to Wolford and all of the other Deacs that may get cut this weekend: there are so many injuries during an NFL season that tons of practice squad spots open up as the season goes on when rostered players get injured and practice squad players get moved up to the active roster, thus opening spots for players cut during camp. So, just via attrition, there is some chance for guys like Bachman, Colburn, Anderson and others to get practice squad spots during the season. Also, with XFL starting up (at least for one season), there will be more football job openings this winter.

See: defense of [Redacted] and Manning.

Guilty of first; not really on second. But if group think is your thing, then you go on about it. Bay of Pigs, baby. Bay of pigs. Look it up, group think at its worst.

The Rams have seen plenty of what Wolford can do. If they waive him for whatever reason (Bortles contract, most likely) and another team picks him for their53 man roster, that is where he will be. If the other team cuts him later and the Rams want him back, they can always make a spot on the practice squad for him.

John would be making NFL rookie salary, which is a lot more than PS money.

I guess the land of make believe is pretty interesting. You're still proposing something that violates the CBA and isn't feasible or possible.

Look, I would hazard a guess you can tell your agent you love your current situation and aren't interested in a tryout, say, with the Chiefs for a few weeks (they just lost their #2 Henne, but have two youngsters in camp that have been there all preseason), and then the Chiefs may choose to pass on a waiver decision. That kind of shit happens in the NBA all the time, obviously I have no idea on NFL. All that being said, I went thru some interviews last night and Wolf's been quoted as he sees this opportunity in LA as a job interview for "31 other teams" if he doesn't get a roster spot on the Rams, so he seems to be thinking what y'all are thinking.

I wouldn't if I were in his spot. If I wanted to get into coaching, I'd do everything I could to stay in LA on the Rams in some capacity. I suppose he's thinking he can develop into some sort of Matt Moore veteran QBs that bounces around the league for 10-13 years earning good money. A poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick if you will, maybe even Ryan Fitzpatrick himself. I personally don't see it. And I'm not sure I'd want to be Ryan Fitzpatrick at 40. Some QBs are prone to getting hit pretty hard. Fitzpatrick is one of them. I am not sure how limber and cognitive he's going to be at 55. On the flipside, Clawson seems pretty well put together cognitively and physical health wise. I would rather be Clawson at 55 than what I expect Ryan Fitzpatrick to be at 55. But maybe I am simply underestimating the endorphine buzz of the following:

I'd still rather spend a year on the Rams practice squad knowing I could get called up to their 53-man roster if one of the QBs goes down than any other situation, including an immediate 53-man roster spot anywhere other than perhaps the Chiefs or the Seahawks.

Wolford has a much better chance of making the Rams as a #3 than getting picked up for the 53 by another team

both are non-rj longshots

either way, no way he turns down a waiver pick-up if it ever would happen -- in addition to the extra cash and exposure, you also get better playing with the backups than on the practice squad

I suppose he's thinking he can develop into some sort of Matt Moore veteran QBs that bounces around the league for 10-13 years earning good money. A poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick if you will, maybe even Ryan Fitzpatrick himself.

Matt Moore has made 23.5 million and Fitz has made 51 million over their respective careers. Matt was undrafted and Fitz was a 7th round draft choice. Probably worth a shot since you can always go back to the Rams or whatever coaching staff is considered one of the best at the time to try your hand at coaching.

Look it up, group think at its worst.

Lol, just because damn near everyone agrees that it's the logical answer doesn't make it groupthink. Damn near everyone agrees that the earth is round. Groupthink, by definition, requires an irrational or dysfunctional decision to be made. You just make those irrational decisions for the sake of being different...I'm not sure there's a "word" for that other than dumb.

You're the flat earth guy in these conversations, The tin-foil hat guy who thinks he's the only one special enough to have the right answers.

This is why I am likely so much more interesting than you - I make seemingly counter-intuitive (to the collective "you") choices;-) I don't consider them so though. If I were him, it would suck if some fucked up organization (e.g. Raiders) picked me up and kept me on their roster for a few weeks while in the meantime I lost my spot on the Rams practice squad. Then, you are back to square 1.

Nobody has convinced me that giving up $350,000 would be a poor long-term career move. The belittling, while very sports board and Trump-esque, isn't doing it. Not effective.

Cool how you draw the conclusion that you are "much more interesting" than a person based on a single anonymous message board post. This leads me to think that I am likely a much better person that you overall, though perhaps boring.

Matt Moore has made 23.5 million and Fitz has made 51 million over their respective careers. Matt was undrafted and Fitz was a 7th round draft choice. Probably worth a shot since you can always go back to the Rams or whatever coaching staff is considered one of the best at the time to try your hand at coaching.

I get that. And thanks for a normal counterargument post without dripping sarcasm or cyberhate content. Really.

Agreed that is amazing money to bank before you're 35. But do you think Wolford is likely to make anything even approaching 23.5 million as a QB between now and age 35? And assuming he wants to coach, how much more likely is he to make well over $30 million from age 30 to 65 coaching?

And again, I love Fitzpatrick - I really do. But I truly worry what he will be like in 20 years cognitively. He has taken some significant shots to the head. Maybe he's Dan Fouts and will be fine as an old man, but I honestly don't really understand why he's still playing. I more understand why Andrew Luck walked away than Fitz keeps playing.

Lol, just because damn near everyone agrees that it's the logical answer doesn't make it groupthink. Damn near everyone agrees that the earth is round. Groupthink, by definition, requires an irrational or dysfunctional decision to be made. You just make those irrational decisions for the sake of being different...I'm not sure there's a "word" for that other than dumb.

You're the flat earth guy in these conversations, The tin-foil hat guy who thinks he's the only one special enough to have the right answers.

Fair argument. I just don't think anyone is taking into account the brutality of football in their calculus. I would think Wolford WOULD take that into account as he was basically brutalized his first two years at Wake. It is a conversation that is happening all over, certainly with parents with kids who want to play football. Simply put, it is not irrational to include life after football opportunities in your life while playing football choices/decisions. You guys are making it sound like I am suggesting he go live a year at a Budhist retreat center in northern California and reflect on his life post football. It is weird. I'm saying, right now he is sucking at the teet of THE coach of the moment. A coach super young, wildly successful, and pretty much admired by most. Not a bad place AT ALL to be if you want to coach after your playing days.

Instead, it is half bile on here. It's reflective of the moment. I disagree with jaybone, therefore he's a fucking idiot. Add content (which you did, btw)

And again, I love Fitzpatrick - I really do. But I truly worry what he will be like in 20 years cognitively. He has taken some significant shots to the head. Maybe he's Dan Fouts and will be fine as an old man, but I honestly don't really understand why he's still playing. I more understand why Andrew Luck walked away than Fitz keeps playing.

Love of the game? When you are as smart as Fitz (48 Wonderlic score in 9 minutes) maybe you can afford to lose some IQ points and still do well/enjoy life. ;)

Excluding the name calling and strong generalizations, this has been a very interesting debate about our own Johnny Football! jaybone, maybe you’re onto some new and better financial logic and a little early in forecasting it. It may become more of the approach for a Wolford situation except when you factor in love for the game which he clearly has. Although possibly illogical for Wolford to continue to play, he is more likely to try to play somewhere than not even to his “detriment.”
It is pretty illogical to fly to the moon the first time.

Love of the game? When you are as smart as Fitz (48 Wonderlic score in 9 minutes) maybe you can afford to lose some IQ points and still do well/enjoy life. ;)

haha. Maybe that is what is happening. You would know better than most, I'd assume from your handle, on the Hits + head = damage calculus.

haha. Maybe that is what is happening. You would know better than most, I'd assume from your handle, on the Hits + head = damage calculus.

When Del Negro dunked on you, did he bounce it off your noggin?

Back