• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wolford

Because I think I'll be making $500 mil a year as a college or NFL assistant pretty soon after that experience when I want it.

Kind of hard to turn down $500,000,000.00 per year without the pressure of being a head coach.

That's a pretty good job.

you uh know Zach Taylor's not there anymore right

Sorry, Zac Robinson not Zac Taylor.

I wouldn't take it. Obviously, you all think you jump at the first job promotion offered. I don't think that is always wise. If he considers himself a future coach, there are a handful of places you'd want to be absorbing information and experience. Rams are one. Chiefs are another. Colts not so sure. According to the Athletic, he's been told my Rams organization that they like him a lot as their #3 with the potential to be their #2 next year rather than Bortles. That's an intriguing offer, I think. Plus, you are in LA and not Indianapolis or KC. I suppose a Florida kid might jump at Jax or Miami, but that's not happening.

Stay in LA would be my advice. You can make up the $350,000 lost this year across a year or two of coaching.

I wouldn't take it. Obviously, you all think you jump at the first job promotion offered. I don't think that is always wise. If he considers himself a future coach, there are a handful of places you'd want to be absorbing information and experience. Rams are one. Chiefs are another. Colts not so sure. According to the Athletic, he's been told my Rams organization that they like him a lot as their #3 with the potential to be their #2 next year rather than Bortles. That's an intriguing offer, I think. Plus, you are in LA and not Indianapolis or KC. I suppose a Florida kid might jump at Jax or Miami, but that's not happening.

Stay in LA would be my advice. You can make up the $350,000 lost this year across a year or two of coaching.

How do you know he wants to coach? Has he said this anywhere? Last I heard, he was still all set to be a Wall Street finance bro once his playing days are over.

He definitely sounded like a future coach or broadcaster in his interviews.

So you know that any player that is waived and subject to the waiver wire and then claimed doesn’t have the option to “turn it down” the team that claims them now owns their player rights. So if Wolford wants to play football he plays for the team that claims him. I suppose he could refuse but would be a horrible look and definitely a CBA violation.

You can turn down a waiver claim and go back to the team that put you through waivers?

How do you know he wants to coach? Has he said this anywhere? Last I heard, he was still all set to be a Wall Street finance bro once his playing days are over.

Just read what I wrote, yo. I said IF. If he wants to trade stocks, great.

Is jaybone seriously suggesting that Wofford turn down a spot on an NFL roster to stay on the practice squad with the Rams?

By the way I don't think that's an option for a player to turn down a waivers claim. Not that I think that the NFL has even contemplated that a player would be dumb enough to do that.

Wolford is from Jacksonville and his high school field is literally across the river from the stadium.

However, Jacksonville drafted their backup to Foles so all he would see there is the practice squad.

Of course the practice squad money in Jacksonville goes a lot further with cost of living and no state income tax.

Colts were on my radar because of Luck's retirement. Experienced decent QBs aren't easy to find. See Eagles "finding" one on the retired list.

My main point was that waived then signed to Rams practice squad wasn't the only likely future for Wolford. As well as he had played both last spring and now this summer, some team may think he is a better option than the guys they have.
He can make all the throws.
He is accurate.
He is a good (well above average) runner as an NFL QB.

To your point. Last year the giants cut their back up and the jets picked him up and cut Wolford.

By the way I don't think that's an option for a player to turn down a waivers claim. Not that I think that the NFL has even contemplated that a player would be dumb enough to do that.

5d1a8f4f03f4945468eb874e116d0a02.jpg

I think you are on to something. This is like how Tim Duncan opted to stay with the Spurs all those years because he was really just focused on his future in coaching. As an aside, I think Leonard really missed an opportunity for a long term coaching career.

I think you are on to something. This is like how Tim Duncan opted to stay with the Spurs all those years because he was really just focused on his future in coaching. As an aside, I think Leonard really missed an opportunity for a long term coaching career.

This is why I am likely so much more interesting than you - I make seemingly counter-intuitive (to the collective "you") choices;-) I don't consider them so though. If I were him, it would suck if some fucked up organization (e.g. Raiders) picked me up and kept me on their roster for a few weeks while in the meantime I lost my spot on the Rams practice squad. Then, you are back to square 1.

Nobody has convinced me that giving up $350,000 would be a poor long-term career move. The belittling, while very sports board and Trump-esque, isn't doing it. Not effective.

This is why I am likely so much more interesting than you - I make seemingly counter-intuitive (to the collective "you") choices;-).

See: defense of [Redacted] and Manning.

Back