• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Group F Discussion (ARG, BOS, IRA, NIG)

i've gotta admit guys, i hear all this hype about messi and the 5-7 times i've seen him play he hasn't done shit

ronaldo on the other hand rips it up every single time i've seen him play

pure anecdotal, but for a soccer noob i do wonder when i'll get to see the messi hype

Messi for Barcelona is just sex. He does have the OMG speed or power of Ronaldo, but he's lightning quick and insanely skilled and he just drifts in and out of space so effortlessly. Oh, and he scores approximately 1,000,000 goals for them.

Messi for Argentina just hasn't ever really worked to the same level - they have secretly been kind of a disaster (not Messi's fault, but hard for a forward to shine with a trainwreck of a team / manager).

Messi for Barcelona is just sex. He does have the OMG speed or power of Ronaldo, but he's lightning quick and insanely skilled and he just drifts in and out of space so effortlessly. Oh, and he scores approximately 1,000,000 goals for them.

Messi for Argentina just hasn't ever really worked to the same level - they have secretly been kind of a disaster (not Messi's fault, but hard for a forward to shine with a trainwreck of a team / manager).

i think i've unfortunately seen his maybe 2 quiet games for barcelona
i keep trying though, i figure the whole world can't be wrong!

Solari pretty much nailed it with his analysis save for the fact Bosnia still isn't committing numbers forward. That's the only way this game will open up.

Argentina could still open them up. But they aren't playing well

Messi has won 1 Gold Medal, 3 Champions League Titles, 6 La Liga Titles and the Ballon d'Or 4 times - and he's only 26. He's the best footballer since Maradona and one of the five or so greatest players of all time. The crowd that seems to always want to find a way to somehow minimize him cracks me up. DO YOU EVEN WATCH THIS SPORT BRO?

He has 38 goals in 86 games. That is hardly chicken feed. He had 10 in 18 qualifiers this go round - which is damn good.

Tonight they are playing not to lose - presumably because they expect to score 50 against Iran and to beat Nigeria. Regardless it sucks to watch.

Messi at Barca: 354 goals in 425 games
Messi w/ Argentina: 38 goals in 86 caps
Total -- 392 goals in 511 games. Or about 3 goals every 4 games.

C Ronaldo at Real Madrid: 252 goals in 246 games
C Ronaldo for Portugal: 49 goals in 111 caps
Total: 301 goals in 357 games. Or about 5 goals every 6 games.

Messi has won 1 Gold Medal, 3 Champions League Titles, 6 La Liga Titles and the Ballon d'Or 4 times - and he's only 26. He's the best footballer since Maradona and one of the five or so greatest players of all time. The crowd that seems to always want to find a way to somehow minimize him cracks me up. DO YOU EVEN WATCH THIS SPORT BRO?

Didn't realize he was only 26. Impressive.

Last edited:
Ronaldo also the front runner to win the 2014 FIFA Ballon d'Or after winning the same individual trophy in 2013.

i think i've unfortunately seen his maybe 2 quiet games for barcelona
i keep trying though, i figure the whole world can't be wrong!

It's also different watching Messi for Argentina and Messi for Barca.

First off - Messi is a far better distributor and playmaker than Ronaldo, while being equally dominant as a goal scorer.

Secondly - way to cherry pick stats like a champion. Messi has been at Barcelona since he was a kid - so you're counting seasons where he was a youngster being used as a sub, etc (i.e - '05-'06 where he made 25 apps and scored only 8 goals at the age of 18). By choosing to pick only Ronaldo's stats at Madrid, you're skipping all his development period at Sporting and United (like his first season where he made 31 apps and scored 5 times).

That's some seriously horseshit usage of statistics you just pulled.

First off - Messi is a far better distributor and playmaker than Ronaldo, while being equally dominant as a goal scorer.

Secondly - way to cherry pick stats like a champion. Messi has been at Barcelona since he was a kid - so you're counting seasons where he was a youngster being used as a sub, etc (i.e - '05-'06 where he made 25 apps and scored only 8 goals at the age of 18). By choosing to pick only Ronaldo's stats at Madrid, you're skipping all his development period at Sporting and United (like his first season where he made 31 apps and scored 5 times).

That's some seriously horseshit usage of statistics you just pulled.

Ok, I'll do since age 20 for both players after this match is over.

You conveniently omitted the 5 in 31 for Porto and the 118 in 292 for ManU. So that makes it about 3 in 5 instead of 5 in 6. But good work.

Ronaldo ('04-'05 to current) 498 apps, 359 goals

Messi ('06-'07 to current) - 399 apps, 345 goals

That's club level only. The national stats are relatively even. Ronaldo is a great goal scorer, Messi is just fucking otherworldly. And again, Messi is also a substantially better playmaker and distributor.

Back