• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

But wouldn't they then just send messages with the trainers or whomever?
I'm thinking the "no coaching during water breaks" thing is pretty close to unenforcable.

Have the stadium staff bring the water/towels to the opposite sideline. A 3 minute break at your bench is unneccesary to address the health aspect.

Played most of my life. Watch a lot. Problem is how harsh that call is. A very minor foul with a major flop. I would like to see the ref have discretion on fouls in the box. PK or a corner kick.

Herrera could have obtained a pk in the first half if he flops rather than tries to head the ball.
"Discretion" is the operative word here.

Question for those who know more about soccer. What effect would moving the penalty kick spot back have on penalties and the game?

To me it seems like the punishment for fouling in the box and the reward for getting fouled is way to large. The likelihood that Robben and the Netherlands turn that possession into a goal if he hadn't been fouled or if it wasn't called is WAY lower than the likelihood that they can convert a PK. It seems pretty disproportionate to me. When I think about basketball, getting fouled, you jump from about 50% to 65% (player with 50% FG and 80% FT, who has to make two free throws in a row) if it's a shooting foul, depending on the player, etc.

In a game as low scoring as soccer, a penalty gives one team a huge advantage. I know there should be a big disincentive for fouling in the box and a big incentive for getting into the box (note: not getting fouled in the box, not flopping), but this seems out of balance. Would moving the spot back make any difference? Would it change the game way too much?

Is anyone really sure the foul wouldn't have been called without Robben selling it? It happened right in front of the ref. The defender was late and it's a foul. Or am I missing something?

"Discretion" is the operative word here.[/

Agreed. Just think it should be an option to give pk for clear scoring chance prevented by a foul and a corner for a foul like Marquez on robben.

KLM with no regard for human life

BrUZ1aOCMAAhyL2.jpg

Is Marquez known as a dirty player? Just from reading other comments, people seem to be really happy that he was the person who gave away the penalty.

Is Marquez known as a dirty player? Just from reading other comments, people seem to be really happy that he was the person who gave away the penalty.

he got sent off against us in 02 for trying to concuss Cobi Jones.... got sent off again in Columbus in 09 (i think) when he slid into Tim Howard studs up.

You could find about two dozen of these around. Marquez is a really dirty player.

I honestly don't know what rule is against embellishment. Do you know the exact language of it? Can you not give a yellow if there was a foul for embellishment?

"If a player attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (Simulation)"

True, but is it a foul you call in extra time in the elimination round of a tie game in the WC knowing it will probably decide the game without the embellishment?

If it is a foul at one point, then it is a foul at any point.

And I don't think I'm saying, anymore, that it shouldn't have been a foul. I just want flops penalized, in every sport, whenever they happen. Robben dove a couple other times too late, that went unpunished and weren't fouls.

I actually think I made a post about that happening in the 1st half with Robben. He was going towards the penalty area, but heading to his right (so weaker side) and right as he got to the penalty area he threw himself to the ground. The referee brought the whistle to his mouth, but did not blow it, and then he signalled "play on" by raising both of his arms parallel to the ground with his palms facing upwards once Mexico recovered the ball.

I think he bottled the call and was going to book Robben for simulation (diving) there, but decided against it for some reason. I've never seen "advantage" called after a dive before!

@Elko_B: Louis van Gaal: 'We had a bit of luck with the cooling break, so that I could implement plan B. That saved us.' (via NOS)

Thoughts? That's a major side effect of the water break.

Yeah, it shouldn't be allowed, but it isn't like Herrera wasn't issuing instructions to his players as well.

Marquez is still at fault. There was no reason to make that challenge. He was late and has to know that Robben will try to put it in the referee's hands.

Haha USA vs Mexico is a top 5 soccer rivalry in the world, possibly top 3, and people are questioning why we hate them

Germany - Holland
Italy - France
England - Scotland
Brazil - Argentina
Argentina - England
Greece - attractive football
Holland - penalty shootouts

First vid the dude needed stitches on his nuts, second one broke his clavicle. He has dozens of incidents like that.

Not a gimme, but conversion rate is like ~75%. What's the success rate for any plays inside the box?

A top notch striker has a conversion rate of around 30-35%, but that accounts for all shots taken regardless of area on the pitch.

Back