• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you rather pay Manning $2M or pay a top assistant $900K to coach at Wake?

Would you rather?

• Total voters
I'd pay Battle $1M to coach a year as interim coach, fire Wellman, hire a new AD and start all over next year. That's my plan. The new coach would come into a situation where he has seven seniors and an assload of scholarships to fill with his own players. There would be no pressure because nobody would expect him to be worth a damn for a couple years.

We have to disagree here. Having an interim would kill our chances at getting Giles. He can turn the program around.

Pick your gamble. Spending a few bucks on Manning doesn't necessarily make our team better either. If Manning hasn't said "yes" yet, then I'm not happy with if we hire him. Wake needs someone who is passionate about being here. Bzdickhead never was - you could see it in everything he did. Clawson is - you see it. Skip was - you saw it. If some top assistant has the balls to go up to Wellman and say "I want this job. We are going to create an energetic, positive winning environment" then at this point, maybe it makes sense.

He has been with Ryan 20 years - the results of making Wisconsin one of the best jobs in the conference that can't count is unquestionable. Every year in the NCAA.

2001–02 Wisconsin 19–13 11–5 T–1st NCAA Second Round
2002–03 Wisconsin 24–8 12–4 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2003–04 Wisconsin 25–7 12–4 T–2nd NCAA Second Round
2004–05 Wisconsin 25–9 11–5 3rd NCAA Elite Eight
2005–06 Wisconsin 19–12 9–7 T–4th NCAA First Round
2006–07 Wisconsin 30–6 13–3 2nd NCAA Second Round
2007–08 Wisconsin 31–5 16–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2008–09 Wisconsin 20–13 10–8 T–4th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Wisconsin 24–9 13–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2010–11 Wisconsin 25–9 13–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Wisconsin 26–10 12–6 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Wisconsin 23–12 12–6 T–4th NCAA Second Round
2013–14 Wisconsin 30–7 12–6 T–2nd TBD

Danny Mannings resume would look similar if you looked at his years as an assistant with KU. If you couple that with this 2 year head coaching experience, it is a better resume than this.

Whether we spend $1.8M or $500K or $2.3M on a coach, we have all the money we need to recruit. It's total BS to think otherwise.

I'd much rather take my chances with Danny Manning coming into a recruits house than some no name assistant. If you don't see how much better this is for our program, you are blinded by ignorant hate.

This is overkill. Even for you.

Orlando Antigua is going to recruit better in his first year at USF than Danny Manning will at Wake Forest.

hire the assistant. fire him after next season. have the new AD bring in a long term coach next year

Do you realize how foolish this sounds? If we hire an assistant and fire him after 1 year? Our athletic department would be on their 4th bball coach in 7 years. Does that seem like a place you can go to further your career?

If we are considering any coach because of the particular impact he would have on a single recruit, then that is next-level stupid.

You are off the deep end if you recognize that Danny is an extremely high risk proposition as his current head coaching experience consists of two years with another coach's recruits? [Redacted] had a stint where he put up pretty good results over two years with another coach's recruits.

Not that it is exactly comparable but look at 1 of the remaining 4 teams left in the tourney right now. UConn gave their job to a guy that had 0 head coaching experience. And guess what? The risk they took has worked out well. Just because it is a high risk doesn't mean it cannot ever work out.

Someone gives you concrete facts what do you spout off? Bull shit.

I do know that Jim Boheim talked (In that Recent Big East 30 for 30) that he was making more money from endorsements than he was from Syracuse. These guys make insane money through other avenues.

Do you realize how foolish this sounds? If we hire an assistant and fire him after 1 year? Our athletic department would be on their 4th bball coach in 7 years. Does that seem like a place you can go to further your career?

meh - All I can say is that, barring a last minute ShakaIn, our reputation amongst people that matter in the college basketball world is fucking destroyed. The Dino firing + sustained [name redacted] nonsense torpedoed our rep, if people even still give a shit. Outside of a few moralizing msm and the AD talking points that were picked up by broadcasting mercenaries, there is a lot of (deserved) skepticism amongst basketball people and media insiders around our program right now. The mediocrity of Winston-Salem money and limited national media coverage of our sports outside of basketball has insulated Wellman from much in the way of criticism, but if I had to guess, then Wellman's time here is just about over.

meh - All I can say is that, barring a last minute ShakaIn, our reputation amongst people that matter in the college basketball world is fucking destroyed. The Dino firing + sustained [name redacted] nonsense torpedoed our rep, if people even still give a shit. Outside of a few moralizing msm and the AD talking points that were picked up by broadcasting mercenaries, there is a lot of (deserved) skepticism amongst basketball people and media insiders around our program right now. The mediocrity of Winston-Salem money and limited national media coverage of our sports outside of basketball has insulated Wellman from much in the way of criticism, but if I had to guess, then Wellman's time here is just about over.

I agree our reputation is in the shitter but man it could definitely get worse by hiring a guy for 1 season and firing him immediately after 1 season. This program would become an utter wasteland (this would be absolute rock bottom).

Not that it is exactly comparable but look at 1 of the remaining 4 teams left in the tourney right now. UConn gave their job to a guy that had 0 head coaching experience. And guess what? The risk they took has worked out well. Just because it is a high risk doesn't mean it cannot ever work out.

Not sure why you would think I'm opposed to risk. I'm actually supporting a riskier approach (albeit, imo, not that much riskier). What I am opposed to is pretending that this is not a high risk hire because of his playing experience and / or his 2 years as a head coach.

i wasn't clear, but what i meant was if we're hiring assistants at this point, lookin' for an up and comer, then we should do that from within, even if it's inadvisable for several reasons. let's show some love to those who have shown it to WFU. they won't jump ship regardless of AD and they'll likely do it at a discount. battle is a great option at this juncture also.

so yeah hire masiello at like 250k or give chill a chance, or battle.. can't believe i typed those things.

Listen, I am sick of hearing about Howland. I wanted the guy to be given a chance but the reality seems to be that we didn't even make an offer (you can debate whether or not we should have and you def have an argument that he should have been offered). His credentials speak for themselves but the reality is that he isn't being locked up by anyone out there. After our job is filled, he will still be without a job. Do I think he could possibly do very well here? You bet I do but when no one else is scooping him up, something stinks about the situation.

At this point I am willing to support Manning. Yes there is risk involved with hiring him, but it's a risk I think we need to be willing to take. Some of the suggestions on this thread and this board right now are utterly insane.

I agree our reputation is in the shitter but man it could definitely get worse by hiring a guy for 1 season and firing him immediately after 1 season. This program would become an utter wasteland (this would be absolute rock bottom).

Based on what I've heard (and my sources are not connected with our program, but of the same variety as awakegirl's) and as absurd as it sounds, I really don't think it can get any worse as long as Ron Wellman is at the helm. The guy should have been gone yesterday, and he would be if he hadn't surrounded himself exclusively with a bunch of yes men in an athletic department that lacks anything in terms of accountability and a big donor base that, at worst, literally could care less and, at best, knows absolutely nothing about collegiate athletics.

Based on what I've heard (and my sources are not connected with our program, but of the same variety as awakegirl's) and as absurd as it sounds, I really don't think it can get any worse as long as Ron Wellman is at the helm. The guy should have been gone yesterday, and he would be if he hadn't surrounded himself exclusively with a bunch of yes men in an athletic department that lacks anything in terms of accountability and a big donor base that, at worst, literally could care less and, at best, knows absolutely nothing about collegiate athletics.

I will never argue that Wellman shouldn't be gone. I have said it for the past couple years the root of this problem is Ron Wellman and he needs to be removed. Would I want him to be removed? You bet your ass I do, I despise the crater faced prick. I think he is a smug asshole that thinks he is the smartest man in the room at all times. He is like fucking Jerry Jones in Dallas. Guy is proven time and time again to be a moron. Just like Jerry Jones though, I do not see how he will be removed. I want it to happen so badly but it just seems like that isn't happening.

If I were to find out Wellman resigned or was fired, I would probably be just as excited as I was when Bzdick was canned. I don't have any sources within the program or hell in the school. I didn't even go to Wake. I just as a young kid growing up in Pennsylvania became enamored with Tim Duncan after seeing him play while on a family trip. Id love to see him gone more than anything, it just appears that wont happen anytime soon.

We have to disagree here. Having an interim would kill our chances at getting Giles. He can turn the program around.

Giles isn't going anywhere that doesn't have a shade of blue on the jersey.

Wellman's shortcomings are independent of our need to hire the best coach we can land now to restore our program to relevance.
Manning seems like a good choice and his 2 year stint as a head coach of a winning team can easily be spun into a good recruiting pitch. As can his stories from Kansas and a long NBA career. He learned from HOF college coaches for years. He made NBA players out of most of the big men he coached at KU. High school kids and their families- and us as fans- should eat this shit up.

My post is tongue in cheek. This is all just board nonsense. If we can get Manning we need to get him. If not Manning we are going to have to roll the dice. I just hope we aren't balking at Howland's salary demand. If that ever came out I would be seriously pissed.

As I have posted for over two years, Wellman should have been fired within 24 hours of not firing the bozo last year.

Back