• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ Calls on Trump to Liquidate His Holdings (Ongoing Conflict of Interest Thread)

I think you guys are conflating different things: campaign contributions and money borrowed earlier by his businesses. They are not the same.

Its amazing that the same people who claimed Clinton was the most corrupt person in the world for supposed pay for play donations to a charitable foundation are now totally comfortable with Trump pushing his private business interests in official calls with heads of state.

who said they were comfortable?

I think you guys are conflating different things: campaign contributions and money borrowed earlier by his businesses. They are not the same.

How one is indebted to people or entities is irrelevant. That you are is relevant.

You bitch about Hillary owing GS for paying her $225,000 for a speech but lending Trump $200,00,000 is OK. That is bizarre.

Then there is Putin's hacking for Trump. But that's OK too and I bet you think Putin did it out of the goodness of his heart and doesn't expect anything in return.

I don't have the numbers for his campaign finances but I'm pretty certain that he is less, probably far less, beholden to big money special interests than any other president of recent times. And that will probably be an interesting factor in his presidency.

He's less beholden politically but much more beholden business-wise and personally.

Also there are family entanglements. He's the first president with adult kids since HW Bush. Who are his kids beholden to in their business interests?

If given the choice between the US or the Trump brand, which do folks predict the Donald chooses?

He's less beholden politically but much more beholden business-wise and personally.

Also there are family entanglements. He's the first president with adult kids since HW Bush. Who are his kids beholden to in their business interests?

I agree with this, save perhaps the personal beholden part. The whole situation is pretty complicated, and I have no idea how they will try to clarify it and resolve it. We are in uncharted waters.

Last edited:
I agree with this, save perhaps the personal beholden part. The whole situation is pretty complicated, and I have no idea how they will try to clarify it and resolve it. We are in uncharted waters.

Perhaps we as a country should have spent some time charting those waters over the last 18 months.

Trump has contributed $8 million to his campaign since the primaries ended. His campaign has spent $176 million since the beginning of July. You can argue that he largely financed his own primary campaign, but not the general.

Trump has contributed $8 million to his campaign since the primaries ended. His campaign has spent $176 million since the beginning of July. You can argue that he largely financed his own primary campaign, but not the general.

Not to mention how much $ went back to Trump owned businesses.

One of Trump's greatest strengths for his voters was that he appeared to be beholden to no one and seemed to finance his campaign mostly from his own pocket. If Trump places his businesses in a blind trust, then will he be able to self finance again or will he become beholden to rich donors?

#feelings

It's amazing how nuanced your takes are on Trump's conflict of interest and self-dealing as compared to Clinton's when you posted an endless barage of new york post and breitbart articles like they were gospel.

We are in uncharted waters. Never in US history has a POTUS owed so much to a foreign, adversarial leader as Trump owes Putin. If you don't think Putin will call in this debt, you live in a dream world.

All the experts have said the Russians were responsible for the hacks and Wilileaks..all the millions he has received from Russian banks..the millions people around him have made from Putin and his associates.

I am somewhat informed and I don't recall anything about the millions he received from russian banks

Trump said today the POTUS can't have "conflicts of interest:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...an-t-have-a-conflict-of-interest-as-president

Here's one article that speaks about some of Trump's ties to Russia:

http://time.com/4433880/donald-trump-ties-to-russia/

And another:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../the-trump-russia-money-question-in-24-steps/

Are you also among those who think they know more than the US intelligence community that says Putin was behind the hacks? By the way many other world intelligence agencies also have said Putin is behind the hacks.

Do you think Putin wants nothing in return?

Cause if there's one thing rich people hate it's more money.

Hillary supporters afraid trump is going to make money in office is just amazing

Back