• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your encounters with wildlife

She and her husband both came over and apologized later that evening. I think she's genuinely remorseful and that this was obviously something she did not expect (to my knowledge, this dog has not previously been violent). At the same time, if I see her trying to run by herself with both those dogs again, I'm going to be really pissed.

That is so scary. At least they had the kahunas to come to you and apologize. I assume they took care of any vet bills if they were necessary? Between the snakes and the dog menace I think I would walk to the dogs around your driveway only!

She and her husband both came over and apologized later that evening. I think she's genuinely remorseful and that this was obviously something she did not expect (to my knowledge, this dog has not previously been violent). At the same time, if I see her trying to run by herself with both those dogs again, I'm going to be really pissed.

That dog should be destroyed.

In our case, this lady was trying to walk her 2 pit bull mixes by herself. The lady is ludicrously skinny and probably weighs 110 lbs. So, when her dog went nuts passing me and my dogs on the street, I think she just lost control of one of them (my back was turned, so I didn't see exactly what happened).

All of a sudden this dog comes rushing at my bigger dog (who is a pretty chill, pacifist dog) and latches onto his shoulder. My dog is freaking out trying to fight it off. I'm freaking out trying to break it up without getting my arm bitten off. The dogs separate briefly and I am able to pull my dog away a bit, then her dog comes back and latches onto my dog's leg. My dog is howling at that point -- pretty much the worst sound I've ever heard. I end up sitting on the ground with my dog laying on his back pretty much on top of me while I'm trying to kick this dog off my dog.

Not sure how, but at some point that dog lets go and its owner is able to get control of it. Meanwhile, a bunch of neighbors have come out and are trying to help. Not sure how, but my dog came away with a couple of pretty minor wounds, but nothing major. Amazing considering the grip this dog had on my dog's leg. We were very lucky.

It was messed up. This lady walks her dogs pretty much at the same time I do every night, so I'm not exactly sure what happens next time we run into those dogs. She seemed pretty shaken up by it (and the neighbors that were helping me were giving her a lot of shit about not being able to control her dog), so I think she'll probably go out of her way to avoid us. That said, in walking the dogs last night, I was basically completely stressed the entire time that around every turn we would come up on that lady and her evil dog.

Add that stress to my general concern about copperheads all over the place, and you have some good times, let me tell you.

I had the exact same experience with a dog we had about fifteen or so years ago. My dog was about two years old at the time and the attack changed her forever. After the attack, she would cower any time another dog got close to her. She had never been like that previously.

I hope your dog does not experience that.

So far, so good. He seems totally untraumatized. Even had a different dog run up and surprise us the other night (a friendly dog this time). Temporarily scared the crap out of me until I realized it was a friendly dog, but my dog acted normally.

Lady invited us to a neighborhood party at her house this weekend. I think we're going to go, just to get to know them a little better, reduce the awkwardness, and maybe chat about how we'll handle this going forward. I haven't seen her running/walking that dog the past few nights....I imagine she's trying to figure out what to do.

So far, so good. He seems totally untraumatized. Even had a different dog run up and surprise us the other night (a friendly dog this time). Temporarily scared the crap out of me until I realized it was a friendly dog, but my dog acted normally.

Lady invited us to a neighborhood party at her house this weekend. I think we're going to go, just to get to know them a little better, reduce the awkwardness, and maybe chat about how we'll handle this going forward. I haven't seen her running/walking that dog the past few nights....I imagine she's trying to figure out what to do.

Sounds like she's trying to handle it correctly. I feel bad for her too, especially if there had never been an incident before.

Our oldest Weimaraner is a rescue and he has some barrier and leash aggression issues. We never walk him in the neighborhood just to be safe but a friend was at the house several weeks back and just reached over the fence and he bit her. She ended up having to get three stitches. It is a woeful feeling for the dog owner too, especially if you feel like you could have prevented it somehow.

Say Hey - Are you sure it was a "pit bull mix" or is this a typical case of every dog that ever attacks anyone being labeled as a "pit bull mix?"

Sounds like she's trying to handle it correctly. I feel bad for her too, especially if there had never been an incident before.

Our oldest Weimaraner is a rescue and he has some barrier and leash aggression issues. We never walk him in the neighborhood just to be safe but a friend was at the house several weeks back and just reached over the fence and he bit her. She ended up having to get three stitches. It is a woeful feeling for the dog owner too, especially if you feel like you could have prevented it somehow.

My old yellow lab was a great dog, but had some weird phobias. She was scared of large men in hats, any kind of cast, long beards, basically anything that made you look "different." One of my roommates high school buddies was a huge dude and a total clown. When he would come over, she would bark at him because he was tall, bearded, and always wore a hat (a triple threat so to speak). Well, on day she was doing her barking when he got there and he ran at her barking back. She bit the shit out of his nose. I felt bad, but he kinda had it comin.

my neighbors had a crazy rescued pit bull mix. it got into our fenced yard one day and was totally freaked out running around with her two little kids trying to catch it, my two little kids running around, and me going WTF. Finally it rammed its head under the gate and got stuck. All the kids are jumping around freaking out, i am afraid the dog is going to maul one of them (of course I'm yelling at all of them to GTF inside but they are not listening). So i try to pin the crazy bitch down, get her unstuck, and get her leash back on and get bit for my trouble. Very minor bite but not fun. Neighbors made me a casserole which I thought was a stand up move.

I don't know shit about breeds of dogs, but when I first saw it several months ago when they got it, I thought it was a pit bull. After the incident, I asked my wife (who is the dog person) what type of dog it was and she confirmed it is definitely at least part pit bull. Little bastard is pure muscle.

Agreed. The dog thing just got tacked onto my post about snakes. But, hey, they're animals. I'll allow it.

Back to the snake thread. Make sure you always have Benadryl on hand at your house. If your dog is bitten you can give them Benadryl at 1mg per pound of body weight, although it is REALLY hard to OD on Benadryl, so you don't have to be exact. We give the big dogs two full 25 mg caplets when they are bitten and leave it at that, even though they weigh a little more than that.

You can dose them every 6 hours or so and it helps keep them calm and prevent an allergic reaction to the bite. It won't do anything for the pain, which is extreme, but it will calm them and maybe get them to sleep a little.

Copperhead bites are rarely fatal for dogs or humans, but they do allegedly hurt exquisitely. Most danger comes if they are bitten somewhere that the swelling will cut off their air supply, or if they are bitten on the torso, closer to their organs.

Copperheads are pit vipers, so their venom is necrotizing, causing tissue damage. that is why you don't want a bite close to an organ. Bites on the face, lips, paws, legs, etc. are much better, although they will swell a lot, look really gross and there will be a lot of pain.

Also, because the venom causes tissue damage, it is not uncommon for the wound to "weep" and then have the flesh around it slough off as it is healing. It will leave an open wound you need to keep clean while it heals.

Obviously going to the vet is the safest thing to do, but they usually won't be able to do much except put them on an IV to minimize the tissue damage. They usually won't use the anti-venon unless the dog is in dire straits. They won't use it at all if you can't prove it was actually a copperhead. (as in you will need the dead snake for proof or they are unlikely to use the anti-venon.)

Anyway, I have plenty of snake bite aftermath stories if you have any questions!

Saw a coyote tonight in my neighborhood while walking the dogs. At first I thought it was a fox, but realized it was much bigger than the typical foxes we see and didn't have the long bushy tail. It was very curious, but did not approach us. I'd heard that people have been spotting coyotes in Raleigh, even near downtown, but this was the first I've seen.

Had another run-in with the unfriendly neighborhood pit bull last night while walking my dogs. This time, apparently the owner had let it out unleashed in his backyard, which has no fence. At some point the dog took off, and rather than immediately go after it, the owner hung back thinking it would be fine. I was about a block from my house walking my dogs by myself when suddenly this dog came out of nowhere and attacked the smaller of my 2 dogs (last time it went after the bigger male).

I immediately started kicking the shit out of this dog and yelling for help. Like last time, this dog would just not let go. It's fucking amazing how they clamp down. There was a point for a second where I just sort of stopped and thought "there's nothing I can do except watch this dog kill my dog." I got this super loud whistle after the last incident, and blew that as well and it did no good.

Fortunately, after a couple of minutes (that seemed like an eternity), another neighbor heard me, came out, and started wailing on the dog with a big flashlight. At some point the dog detached from my little dog and then immediately latched onto my other dog. Finally, after more kicking, the dog let go and I was able to get home. I looked back and this dog's entire face was literally covered in my dogs' blood.

Didn't realize for sure until later that it was the same dog as last time. I ended up taking both my dogs to the emergency vet, as they were bleeding everywhere. Big dog ended up with a bite through his ear, which was treated and he was released. Little dog had to stay to be sedated and get her wounds treated. Ended up having half her face and neck shaved so she looks like Harvey Two-Faced Dent. Has a couple of drains put in and stitches, so she looks like total hell. I ended up picking her back up at 4 am because I couldn't sleep.

While I was at vet, the owners came to our house and my wife absolutely laid into them. The neighbor who helped me called Animal Control, who took a report, but there's nothing they can do at this point -- it takes a certain number of incidents before a dog can be deemed "dangerous" and action can be taken. The moral of the story is that I should have called after the first incident back in August. My wife told the owners the dog needed to go and they seemed to acknowledge that, although who knows. They agreed to pay the vet bill, which will probably end up around $1k.

I am obviously very interested to see what the owners do next. Again, this is a normal couple with a little boy about 6 years old. They have another dog that is older and hasn't been a part of either incident. I'm sure it's hard to get rid of a dog (even one they've only had for about 6 months), but I'm hoping they'll do the right thing. Dogs are weird animals and obviously accidents happen and dogs get loose, but when this dog gets loose, it is a legitimate threat. In both cases, if I hadn't had help in the form of a good Samaritan coming outside with a blunt object, I really think this dog would have killed both of my dogs.

Anyway, it's totally fucked up. Again, not wildlife, but because it's a follow-up to an earlier post, I'll allow it.

holy shit dude. wow. sorry to hear that, and I'm glad the dogs survived. hope those people get it figured out and that they realize how lucky they are that you and mrs. say hey are good people.

Back