• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your encounters with wildlife

While camping at Big Bend National Park (TX) a tarantula crawled to our campsite and perched itself on my friend's hat. Luckily we saw it before he put it on his head.
Same place, different time, have some javelinas and roadrunners waltz through the campground.

While camping at Big Bend National Park (TX) a tarantula crawled to our campsite and perched itself on my friend's hat. Luckily we saw it before he put it on his head.
Same place, different time, have some javelinas and roadrunners waltz through the campground.

Was there a coyote nearby with ACME supplies?

Found a dead coyote on the golf course last week. Lying next to the fairway, hadn't been dead too long. I guess it was poisoned or hit by a golf ball.

City-slicker.

The bear and the road/cars clashed, especially when he climbed over the jersey barrier. It was probably a cub but even while camping, hiking, driving across canada/alaska etc I don't think I've ever seen a bear in the wild. :noidea:

Last time I was driving through WV a baby bear walked across the road.

it's cool to live in a place where you can see wild turkey inside the city limits (and i don't mean at the abc sotre)...

I once lived in a place like that in upstate NY. Didn't like the weather too much but seeing the wild turkeys in the yard inside the town was cool. Only place I ever saw turkeys in the wild by the way.

Coolest of all though was near the Chesapeake Bay seeing a huge bald eagle in the wild and up close. An unforgetable experience. Those birds are big!

I once lived in a place like that in upstate NY. Didn't like the weather too much but seeing the wild turkeys in the yard inside the town was cool. Only place I ever saw turkeys in the wild by the way.

Coolest of all though was near the Chesapeake Bay seeing a huge bald eagle in the wild and up close. An unforgetable experience. Those birds are big!

we don't seem to encounter the bald eagle here in WNC as much as down east...hope to, though! being located where the pisgah national forest comprises mile after mile of 'backyard' makes for lots of wildlife sightings. i am thankful for it!

while shooting an outdoor's segment a few years ago on falconry...the hawk we were hunting with landed on my head and camera for about a second before she figured out that I wasn't a tree branch. Luckily it was raining that day, so I had on a rain hood with my hat, and a big rain cover on the camera. Scared the shit out of me, but the reporter and falconner thought it was funny.

Saw some bald eagles when I lived in WA. Very cool. On a friends boat deep into Puget sound, he said watch the trees and look for a white handkerchief. That's how to spot em.

I LIKE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME BIG..............POPPA!!!!

I have a couple encounters where I thought I was going to die

First, I went a couple of summers ago with some guys to hike in Denali National Park. We woke up one morning with a mother moose and baby moose standing in the middle of our camp site. We had to lay still for 3.5 hours until it moved off.

Another time, we were in Colorado fishing when we looked up above us and saw a mountain lion. It looked at us, made this screeching howl, and then booked it the other way

This summer I was at one of our construction sites here in Lusaka Zambia. Turn a corner and see a 3-4 meter python slithering around. One of our construction guys tried to kill it with some stones and it and it slithered off into our rock/debris pile. Havent gone near that pile since

Finally on another site, we ran into a black mamba. Probably 3 feet long. It reared back and struck at us. Luckily we were far enough away it didnt get near us. We did kill that one with stones.

I've seen both wild turkeys and bald eagles several times in NJ. Wild turkeys walk through my grandparent's property quite a bit and bald eagles nest along the river that my parents take their boat out on. Pretty cool to see bald eagles overhead as you coast by.

The wild horses on Chincoteague Island are pretty incredible

I was fishing in Wyoming and was pulling in a nice trout. As soon as I reached in the water to bring it in the boat, out of nowhere a hawk swooped right behind my head and snatched it out of my hands. It must have clipped the line with its wing too. Before I knew it, the thing just flew away with my fish. It really surprised me because it happened so quick, the thing was just dead silent on approach, I had no idea it was coming.

Another time we found a behemouth snapping turtle stuck belly-up in the drainage pipe at our pond. This thing was a freaking dinosaur. It had been there so long, clearly dead, and the drain had pulled its intestines right out of its stomach. My dad pulled it out and put it on the bank. About 45 minutes later I see it pick its head up and move it from side to side. This scared the crap out of me and my dad was saying no, no its just a muscle reflex. A couple minutes later the thing stands up and starts marching toward the water. My dad and I just looked at each other shocked. We just watched it go right back in, intestines hanging out and all, and wished it good luck.

So I was just strolling around Cincinnati and saw a couple dogs running around w/ baby squirrels in their mouths. Very strange.

Remembered one

When i was 16 I went hunting in Africa with my Dad, older brother and granddad.

baboon story...

When I got back the PH asked if I saw anything and I calmly said, "yeah, I saw some baboons" to which he replied, yeah, those fuckers are mean as shit"

I fucking hate baboons. i would have started firing on the spot

Python Update

Today I met with out security guys out at the land with the 4 meter python. They said it has still been hanging around the rock/debris pile. So they decided instead of pulling away debris and chancing a bite, they would tie 2 chickens on rope to the pile and wait for the python to swallow it.

Once swallowed they say they will pull the damn snake out of the pile with the rope and kill it

Only in Africa.....

Back