• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your favorite bid/boogity/Rico Suave contribution to the boards?

?

• Goth chick

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • "Pokies"

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • People you know named "Jody"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • What's the blackest thing you've ever done?

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Proliferation of bbd tags

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Weird music threads

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Thinking Brad Stevens is a bad coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Nothing

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
IT'S AN EASTER MIRACLE!

topshelf.jpg

How Much Would You Trust a Stranger?

As a business owner, I run into several people asking for help or asking for work opportunities. Last week a guy came by asking for landscaping work, but he didn't have any equipment of his own. I go out of my way to make work for people who are willing to look for it, so I hired him to help me clear some of my land. On Saturday, we went out to the property and worked for 6 hours, after which I was exhausted although the guy worked harder than I did. He offered to do the harder manual work rather than running the chainsaw and mower because he said he didn't want to be responsible if something happened to my equipment. He was grateful for the work and the money.

Now I need some trash hauled off from one of my rentals, but this guy doesn't have a truck and the landfill is closed on Saturdays. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I'm reluctant to just turn my Jeep over to him to haul the stuff, and I don't have time during the week to go with him. He doesn't appear to be on drugs. However, hes only lived here for about a month, he doesn't have a cell phone or vehicle, and he claims to have a NC drivers license but he lost it (he says his DL status is good). I asked about his background, and he admitted to having served time in NC for robbery. Also, he told me he lived in a local mobile home park, but when I was going to pick him up Saturday morning, he called me from WalMart and asked me to pick him up there, and after work he asked me to drop him off at another location (a used car lot). Hes always wearing the same clothes the 3 times I've seen him, which makes me suspect he may be homeless.

I always support and encourage people who want to work, but should I let this guy have my Jeep alone for about 4 hours to haul stuff off? The vehicle is an old beater that I only use when working on my property, but I'd still hate for it to be stolen. This guy works hard and charges reasonable rates, so its a win-win if hes actually honest and not a thief. What would you guys do?

oh man that was a good one

bid really is the gift that keeps on giving

Where do you go if you have to drop out of sight?

Assuming that you had to practically disappear and leave the US, where would you choose to live, and why? Would your answer be different if you had steady income (witness protection funds, personal savings, etc.) and didn't have to work?

If I had steady income, I'd choose a small city in Brazil. Large enough that I could remain anonymous, but small enough that I would be able to live confortably on a modest income. I love the laid back culture of Brazil and the ready supply of cheap household workers there.

If I was forced to get some kind of job, I'd choose a small city in Australia or Canada, since their language and cultures are more in line with the U.S. and I could more easily adjust to the work culture there.

Your Craziest Ex

You haven't lived if you haven't had a totally batshit crazy ex. Who was your craziest ex?

I'll call mine "Melissa". She was beautiful. I first met her when she was a teller at a local bank. We had a mutual friend who set us up by inviting her to gatherings where he know that I would be. It turns out that she was very shy at first, and then she started drinking heavily every night and starting fights over the craziest stuff after she got to know me. She then told me the story of her dropping out of college to go work at ski resorts in Colorado with her ex-BF who was a drug dealer. She claimed that they were busted for selling illegal narcotics and she had to turn state's evidence in order to avoid prison time herself. When things started going crazy, I tried to end the relationship so she threatened to kill herself and took several various pills one night (her roommate was an ER nurse and was apparently stockpiling any pills she could get her hands on), so I called 911 and she was rushed to the hospital for treatment. She soon left the state to live with other family, thankfully.

Who was your craziest?

Woah how did I miss the Blackest Thing thread?

I voted Goth Chick and assumed it wasn't even close, but now I kinda wanna think about it for a while.

Cute Accountants

I just thought of this as I was leaving my accountant's office this morning: why are all young female accountants very cute, while all old female accountants are a little overweight? I understand older females in that line of work being somewhat seditary and not active, but whats up with all the cute ones? I admittedly prefer the cute look over the hot look, so is it that I personally am attacted to the conservative business attire, fashionable hair, modest makeup, and big smile? When hot realtors come to my office (with revealing clothing, high hair, heavy makeup, stripper shoes) theres just no allure at all for me. Or could it be that I'm just stereotyping based on limited experience, and that my accountant simply prefers to hire the cute ones out of college? Has anybody else noticed this?

Hiring a secretary: hottie, old lady, or nerd?

So I am in need of a secretary / receptionist, and just through word of mouth a lot of people have expressed interest in the past day. They tend to fall in 3 categories: hotties (normally home from college for the summer and their parents are making them get jobs), old ladies (recently retired and bored, or moved home to care for elderly parents and bored), and nerds (extremely bright over-qualifed college graduates who have limited social skills).

I've hired quite a few kids home from college over the years, and about half have been extremely bright and helpful, and the other half have been permanently attached to their cell phones, showing up hung-over with glazed eyes every morning and texting all day long. Based on past experience, there is a 50% chance that this would work well and a 50% chance it would not work out.

I've never hired an old lady, but I can't imagine that old ladies would be addicted to their cell phones. But I'm sure they'd probably think too highly of themselves, especially if they retired from some corporate middle-manager job in Atlanta before moving here (which is common for local retirees). I really don't know what to expect. My very first secretary 20 years ago was an absolutely wonderful old lady who I love and adore to this day, although she passed away about 3 years ago. If I could find someone else like her, it would be great.

I got one resume from a computer nerd with advanced degrees in library science. I knew her parents when she was growing up and the whole family was just a little too smart. I've never hired a nerd. I can imagine that she could save me a lot of money on my computer servicing by doing the work herself. I can imagine that it also might hurt my business to have a nerd as my front-desk secretary, rather than a hottie.

Assuming they're all willing to work for the same hourly rates, which would you hire?

Dogs and Nicotine

I quit smoking several weeks ago, and I occasionally use the Nicorette gum and Commit lozenges. I also have a 60-70 lb. labrador retriever whos 1 1/2 years old. My dog has a bad habit of eating whatever is on the end table in the den (usually partially-eaten snack foods) or night table in my bedroom (usually cough drops or breath mints). Here lately I've noticed that my chewed Nicorette or unused Commit lozenges have been disappearing, and I finally caught my dog eating a Commit lozenge -- and they are surprisingly tasty. My dog is so quick and sneaky that theres no way I can catch her everytime, but I suspect shes done this several times. She has not exhibited any symptoms of sickness so far. Is this unhealthy for her? Can she become addicted just by eating Nicorette or Commit?

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/4611-Dogs-and-Nicotine

Bid1966 had some classic posts on the old board about his secretary, who was apparently a hot mess.

This is from way back (6-7 years ago) but there used to be a red headed member of the dance team and it seemed like every week he'd ask BobHWS to post some pics of her. Combining that with his fascination with Michelle Wie, it was pretty easy to pin that ol' bid was a creeper.

Tell me someone else remembers this.

Just spent far too long reading through this. Boogity/Bid is the best poster we've ever had. We would be lost without him.

Wow. I'm honored. I'd totally forgotten about some of that stuff. Its almost like being on your deathbed and seeing your life flash before your eyes they way they do it in the movies, if thats what its really like.

I was hoping "pokies" would get more votes because I had the most time invested in it. Not only did I type it, but I had to search the internet for photos to illustrate my point. The "worthless without pics" tag certainly didn't apply to that post.

Boogity has had a really interesting boards career. Definitely a top-5 poster in terms of providing amusement to the rest of us. He also has the voice of an angel:

Christmas2010.jpg

God, Townie, this picture of you is seriously like the best picture of anyone in the history of pictures. I will never believe you don't look like this all the time.

townie.jpg

Townje looks like a late 60's high school art teacher who draft dodged

Back