• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Zuckerberg throws $100M at Newark public ed

mort-zuckerman.jpg

MORT Zuckerman?

[h=1]“Everybody got paid but Raheem still can’t read”[/h]...and awaken can't spell.

andrew-zuckerman-5.jpg

He's probably talking about Andrew Zuckerman the photographer/filmmaker.

Holy crap, I really messed that up. Thread title fixed. Digs and tag deserved and well done. "neward-a cidy in dacline" out yourself or pm me for posrep.

They initially should have used a small portion of the money as an opportunity to try out several different ideas in a handful of the existing schools. They could then have looked at what, if anything, had the largest positive effect. Might have given them a clue as to what would be effective for the rest of the money and future system dollars.

Goes to show you that we don't have a funding problem when it comes to education. We spend more than enough on public education but the bang for our dollar is severely lacking.

Yeah, we've definitely got a random tech billionaire for every bad school district in the country ready to flush away $100 million.

Goes to show you that we don't have a funding problem when it comes to education. We spend more than enough on public education but the bang for our dollar is severely lacking.

Meh. There are different kinds of funding problems. Politicians love to spend money on administration and accountability but refuse to spend it on quality teachers and (perhaps more importantly) competent management and coaching for the teachers and social support for the baggage that kids bring to school.

Meh. There are different kinds of funding problems. Politicians love to spend money on administration and accountability but refuse to spend it on quality teachers and (perhaps more importantly) competent management and coaching for the teachers and social support for the baggage that kids bring to school.

Exactly. Spend $100M just on teachers, material, and support and watch the magic happen.

From that very brief write-up (I did not read the full NY Times story), it looks to me like Cory Booker did exactly what most politicians do with public education money - lavished it on all kinds of politically-connected "consultants" and blew it developing "initiatives" which cost a lot of money, make teachers spend a lot of time in meetings instead of teaching kids, and then ended up with nothing to show for it. Totally unsurprising.

Back