• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Zuckerberg throws $100M at Newark public ed

33 said we need to increase taxes to allocate more funds to education. I would like to see proof that would actually help. Serious reform is need WAY more than more money. More money alone would just be throwing good money after bad.

Some places we would need to increase taxes. Some we wouldn't. The point is we shouldn't hamstring good reforms by mandating that it has to be done on the cheap.

I mean, he also said all of this stuff:

You could also just make rich people pay their fair share in taxes, standardize a national education policy, cut the charter public\private crap and put all of the federal dollars in public education, and cut local education administrative salaries... Then, you wouldn't have to rely on benevolent billionaires and corrupt pols to the same degree.

That's more than just throwing money at the problem

100% agree and I think teachers need to be paid FAR more. But the debate about increased spending on education hardly ever results in more money for teachers.

And why is that?

Because conservatives want to kill teachers unions and overregulate education to drive them away.

And why is that?

Because conservatives want to kill teachers unions and overregulate education to drive them away.

Has that stopped spending to increase on education? I would like to see a line on education spending and teachers salaries. I bet the spending line is much steeper.

Has that stopped spending to increase on education? I would like to see a line on education spending and teachers salaries. I bet the spending line is much steeper.

lol

LSRn5bh.png

Look at this spending skyrocket!

Teacher salaries are absurdly low - http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d13/tables/dt13_211.50.asp

enrollment should continue to grow, so class sizes aren't going to shrink either

figure-cga-1.gif

moar graphs

figure-cmb-1.gif

figure-cmb-2.gif

figure-cmb-3.gif

look at us just throwing $ everywhere!

Hard to see from my phone but it looks like spending has gone up close to 35% since 2006. I would bet teachers pay has not gone up anywhere near that (but could be wrong).

you are correct in all your assumptions about salary not staying commensurate with increases in spending

but my point is to further illustrate that we "spend plenty" on education

comparing the numbers with revenues, and looking at how we incentivize education to both students and teachers is just appalling

dropout rates are steadily declining too, even among lazy nonwhites and poors

figure-coj-2.gif

figure-coj-3.gif

I would bet that has more to do with the decreasing options of high school drop outs. Dropping out of high school has to be as bad of a decision now as it has ever been in out history.

I would bet that has more to do with the decreasing options of high school drop outs. Dropping out of high school has to be as bad of a decision now as it has ever been in out history.

Thanks, Obama

Hey Townie, are those spending graphs adjusted for inflation?

Edit: nevermind, I followed the link, it looks like they are. But I'm getting a 15% increase, not 35%.

Last edited:
Some places we would need to increase taxes. Some we wouldn't. The point is we shouldn't hamstring good reforms by mandating that it has to be done on the cheap.

This for sure. Not all school districts are created equally. I should have been more clear.

The spending increases have primarily gone to conservative accountability BS instead of teachers and students.

Than what?

The spending increases have primarily gone to conservative accountability BS instead of teachers and students.

I'd add too that the go-to conservative rhetoric about administrative costs being too high is demonstrably wrong. Tiny, tiny portion of expenditures.

And what makes you think if we spend more on education that this will not happen? Again... It's not a money problem. It might be an allocation problem but we spend plenty on education. I have no reason to believe that increased funds would mean that politicians and bearcats would do a better job spending the money.

Walk into some public schools in poorer locations and see if you agree.

Walk into some public schools in poorer locations and see if you agree.

Or better yet, walk in to a poor urban school that is split between public and charter schools. The resource divide is stunning, even if you're a cynic.

Back