• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Colorado Fan's take on [Redacted] at Wake

Two years after Mike Shula was fired from Alabama, Nick Saban went to the SEC Championship game. The following year (i.e., three years after Mike Shula was fired), Saban won the National Championship.

What's the takeaway from all this? Mike Shula is a great coach. Alabama fans should have been more patient and stuck with him instead of hiring Saban.

Last edited:
A hallmark of good coaches is the ability to win with the previous coach's players. The fact that Bz couldn't do it means he's not a good coach. The fact that the best two players on his 3rd team were recruited by the previous coach means he's a pathetic coach and poor recruiter.

Another thing, we are suppose to endure 5 years of Bzz before we compete for an NCAA bid? I bet the Cuse, ND, Pitt and L'ville will have some impact on that rosy prediction.

Two years after Mike Shula was fired from Alabama, Nick Saban went to the SEC Championship game. The following year (i.e., three years after Mike Shula was fired), Saban won the National Championship.

What's the takeaway from all this? Mike Shula is a great coach. Alabama fans should have been more patient and stuck with him instead of hiring Saban.

Mike Shula has finished in the Top 10 before and has a career winning record. [Redacted] can't claim anything of the sort.

Don't overlook that while Bz had a bad roster his first year, they should never have been as bad as they were. We should have still been around a top 100 team (meaning historically one of the worst teams in ACC history), not the absolute worst major conference team of all time. An average coach would have kept us around the top 100. A good coach would have made us relevant, Bz rolled out the worst season of basketball ever seen in the ACC.

A hallmark of good coaches is the ability to win with the previous coach's players. The fact that Bz couldn't do it means he's not a good coach. The fact that the best two players on his 3rd team were recruited by the previous coach means he's a pathetic coach and poor recruiter.

This.

He does have Air Force. That is like the one positive thing he has going for him.

This would be a great analogy if we had two NBA first round picks going into next year.

Must be using a vpn/proxy

Hide_My_Ass.png

I appreciate the passion of Wake fans

Hello again - I am amazed at how many responses this thread got in less than 12 hours. The Colorado message boards pale in comparison!

To begin with, I work in import/export and am currently on business in Japan. That's the reason for my IP address.

And, I'm certainly a Colorado fan. Ask me anything you want about the Buffs!

Clearly, the expectations and passion at an ACC school like Wake Forest - especially with your storied history - mean that "normal" expectations for a coach don't apply.

I'm just saying that looked at from afar, it seems like [Redacted] is slowly but surely bringing the Wake Forest program back.

One poster wrote in response that "waiting 2 more years" for an NCAA bid is not acceptable. I would argue that it's better to look long-term. If [Redacted] performs as I expect, which is to say an NIT bid next year and then a string of NCAA bids after that, won't the wait have been worth it?

NO DOUBT, "the rubber hits the road" next year. If [Redacted] doesn't have the Deacons in the NIT or better, then he should be gone.

My gut feeling is your administration is thinking along the same lines.

I am enjoying the healthy back-and-forth with all you Wake fans!

Hang in there! I truly believe a year from now you will be singing a happier tune!

We ain't making the NIT next year. Not even close.

We don't like the guy and the AD who keeps propping him up at all costs. If you think an NIT bid is a worthy goal after four years guess again. What Bcs HC besides Bz would have performed this poorly so far?

Import/Export, huh? Vandelay industries I bet? I hear they are the best company in the business.

:)

This thread is about a guy/troll telling us to be patient with a coach he's glad his team was not patient with. Mkay thanks. Next thread.

Ultrabuff, thanks for your posts. I apologize for you being called a troll and worse. I wonder if any of the Buzzouters are possibly trolls?

if wake makes the NIT next year its because the top 8 or 9 teams in the conference had plane crashes and they had to pick wake out of necessity... i just want to break .500 to call the year any kind of success.. i understand colorado doesnt have much basketball history at their school so hovering around .500 is probably the norm for most years.. but wake fans are use to being top 3 or 4 in a usually great conference.. so this below mediocre 3 years have been a shock to us all

If the expectations for next year are the same ones given to us for this year, and the results are the same, are we going to get the same bullshit that we're being fed now?

Hello again - I am amazed at how many responses this thread got in less than 12 hours. The Colorado message boards pale in comparison!

To begin with, I work in import/export and am currently on business in Japan. That's the reason for my IP address.

And, I'm certainly a Colorado fan. Ask me anything you want about the Buffs!

Clearly, the expectations and passion at an ACC school like Wake Forest - especially with your storied history - mean that "normal" expectations for a coach don't apply.

I'm just saying that looked at from afar, it seems like [Redacted] is slowly but surely bringing the Wake Forest program back.

One poster wrote in response that "waiting 2 more years" for an NCAA bid is not acceptable. I would argue that it's better to look long-term. If [Redacted] performs as I expect, which is to say an NIT bid next year and then a string of NCAA bids after that, won't the wait have been worth it?

NO DOUBT, "the rubber hits the road" next year. If [Redacted] doesn't have the Deacons in the NIT or better, then he should be gone.

My gut feeling is your administration is thinking along the same lines.

I am enjoying the healthy back-and-forth with all you Wake fans!

Hang in there! I truly believe a year from now you will be singing a happier tune!

Since this is the way it is going to be, apparently, I appreciate the words of hope. Thanks for posting. As you can tell, positive words about Bz are not appreciated here.

I wanted a change too. But since that isn't going to happen soon, I do hope we don't have to tolerate a board filled with hate for Bz and for everyone who doesn't hate Bz for the next year!

Back