• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Colorado Fan's take on [Redacted] at Wake

Ultrabuff, thanks for your posts. I apologize for you being called a troll and worse. I wonder if any of the Buzzouters are possibly trolls?

Since this is the way it is going to be, apparently, I appreciate the words of hope. Thanks for posting. As you can tell, positive words about Bz are not appreciated here.

I wanted a change too. But since that isn't going to happen soon, I do hope we don't have to tolerate a board filled with hate for Bz and for everyone who doesn't hate Bz for the next year!

When Buzz moves on I will be glad to visit his new team's board and share uplifting words about how Buzz will tank their program and bring them back to mediocrity within 5 years. I'm sure they will be equally thrilled as we were.

If you end your rosy sentence about everybody singing kumbaya together with an exclamation point it makes you look like a really nice person! Seriously, you guys should try it! Hugs!

One thing you fail to mention is that in the year prior to [Redacted]'s hiring at Colorado, CU went 7-20 (3-13). In the year prior to his hiring at Wake, Wake was 20-11 (9-7) with a win in the NCAAT. He may have been rebuilding at Colorado, but at Wake he's the one that destroyed the program.

yeah kinda a big detail to miss

When Buzz moves on I will be glad to visit his new team's board and share uplifting words about how Buzz will tank their program and bring them back to mediocrity within 5 years. I'm sure they will be equally thrilled as we were.

When [Redacted] moves on, it will be to his coastal NC beach house. Not a snowball's chance he will helm another relevant program. There hasn't even been any moderately substantiated resignation talk considereing his performance here, has there?

Last edited:
Hello again - I am amazed at how many responses this thread got in less than 12 hours. The Colorado message boards pale in comparison!

To begin with, I work in import/export and am currently on business in Japan. That's the reason for my IP address.

And, I'm certainly a Colorado fan. Ask me anything you want about the Buffs!

Clearly, the expectations and passion at an ACC school like Wake Forest - especially with your storied history - mean that "normal" expectations for a coach don't apply.

I'm just saying that looked at from afar, it seems like [Redacted] is slowly but surely bringing the Wake Forest program back.

One poster wrote in response that "waiting 2 more years" for an NCAA bid is not acceptable. I would argue that it's better to look long-term. If [Redacted] performs as I expect, which is to say an NIT bid next year and then a string of NCAA bids after that, won't the wait have been worth it?

NO DOUBT, "the rubber hits the road" next year. If [Redacted] doesn't have the Deacons in the NIT or better, then he should be gone.

My gut feeling is your administration is thinking along the same lines.

I am enjoying the healthy back-and-forth with all you Wake fans!

Hang in there! I truly believe a year from now you will be singing a happier tune!

If you expect us to make the NIT next year then you aren't very informed about our program and how we've performed under [Redacted]. We lose our best player and the incoming recruiting class is unlikely to have an immediate impact. Any substantial improvement would be a result of players radically improving between the seasons, something that hasn't happened during [Redacted]'s tenure except in the case of one exceptional player (brought in by the previous coach).

Hello Everybody

I just wanted to share a few thoughts on the desire of many Wake Forest fans to see Jeff [Redacted] fired.

As you know, [Redacted] was at Colorado for 3 seasons before suddenly leaving us for the greener pastures of the ACC.

His record at CU (Big 12 conference) was as follows:

2007–08 Colorado 12–20 3–13 12th
2008–09 Colorado 9–22 1–15 12th
2009–10 Colorado 15–16 6–10 8th

His record at Wake (ACC conference) is as follows:

2010–11 Wake Forest 8–24 1–15 12th
2011–12 Wake Forest 13–18 4–12 T-12th
2012–13 Wake Forest 13–18 6-12 10th

The first three years at each school are pretty similar. Furthermore, [Redacted] "cleaned house" at Colorado the same way he did at Wake. He ran off at least half the team and replaced them with his own recruits. He has done pretty much the same thing at Wake Forest.

The year after [Redacted] left Colorado, the team's record in the Big 12 was as follows:

2010–11 Colorado 24–14 8–8 T–5th NIT Semifinals

Granted, we had a new coach in Tad Boyle. But the entire team consisted of [Redacted] recruits. Furthermore, two of the kids he brought in after "cleaning house" ended up playing in the NBA. One of them, Alec Burks, was a lottery pick after just his sophomore season. The other was Cory Higgins, a 4-year starter for us. Neither one of these kids was "highly regarded" out of high school.

Watching [Redacted] and the Wake program from afar, it seems to me that he is following a very similar "rebuilding" plan at Wake. He has recruited well, and it's only natural that a young team will struggle on the road as it grows and matures. The fact that [Redacted] beat two Top-25 teams in his third season tells me he's pretty close now to turning the corner in Year 4. I mean, he brought in something like 7 freshman last year, did he not? Wake must be one of the youngest teams in the country!

I'm telling you guys, you need to give [Redacted] one more year. The man knows how to evaluate talent, he knows the game. He was not well-liked at CU because he ran the Princeton offense that he brought from Air Force (BORING!). He also has a vanilla personality and comes off very poorly on television. [Redacted] is definitely not a "people person." But the man can coach.

At Colorado we don't miss [Redacted] much and are obviously thrilled with the job Tad Boyle is doing, but we cannot ignore the fact that [Redacted] laid the foundation for Boyle's success.

As a neutral observer with no skin in the game, I think [Redacted] will have Wake at .500 in conference next season and the team will play in the NIT. The Deacons will challenge for the ACC title the following season and once again become an annual participant in the NCAA tournament. You guys need to take a deep breath and let [Redacted] coach the team.

He will get the job done if you simply let him.

Yours Truly,

A Colorado Buffalo Fan

Good Post. Excellent Points.

I do not believe for one second that this guy is a CU fan, or even from anywhere near Colorado for that matter.

Did any Wake fans go tell SC fans on their boards, "hey you've got a great coach there! Hang on to him!" after Odom left?

And I do think Odom actually was a great coach.

I do not believe for one second that this guy is a CU fan, or even from anywhere near Colorado for that matter.

Did any Wake fans go tell SC fans on their boards, "hey you've got a great coach there! Hang on to him!" after Odom left?

Probably. "Let it go" was the board meme during that offseason.

I'm a Buff fan through and through. Saw my first CU game when I was 7 years old. Go ahead, ask me any question you want about Colorado hoops (or football, for that matter).

The only reason I came over here to post was that I think the Wake fan base is being unreasonable in its demands. I've observed dozens of programs over the years when they change coaches. Barring a total meltdown, the new guy deserves 4 years to turn things around. [Redacted] knocked off the #2 team in the country this year, and also beat the #18 team. He has recruited well. He deserves one more year.

I don't necessary like the guy, but he knows the game and in retrospect did a lot for Colorado in the 3 seasons he was our coach.

I don't think many Wake fans realize how unreasonable their demands look from an outsider's perspective. Wellman told [Redacted] when he hired him to not make any decisions based on short-term considerations. Anyone out there who has succeeded in business knows that a turnaround takes time. I AGREE that [Redacted] has more work to do, and I also AGREE that if he doesn't get the team into at least the NIT next year he should be gone.

But these "Fire BZ" ads and all the rest reveal a completely unrealistic understanding of how organizations are built and long-term, sustainable success is achieved . You can't tear something down and then rebuild it in just 3 seasons.

PATIENCE, PEOPLE!!

Do you think Boyle is a better coach than Bz?

The program didn't need to be torn down.

This is the ACC. New coaches are expected to win and keep winning.

I'm a Buff fan through and through. Saw my first CU game when I was 7 years old. Go ahead, ask me any question you want about Colorado hoops (or football, for that matter).

The only reason I came over here to post was that I think the Wake fan base is being unreasonable in its demands. I've observed dozens of programs over the years when they change coaches. Barring a total meltdown, the new guy deserves 4 years to turn things around. [Redacted] knocked off the #2 team in the country this year, and also beat the #18 team. He has recruited well. He deserves one more year.

I don't necessary like the guy, but he knows the game and in retrospect did a lot for Colorado in the 3 seasons he was our coach.

I don't think many Wake fans realize how unreasonable their demands look from an outsider's perspective. Wellman told [Redacted] when he hired him to not make any decisions based on short-term considerations. Anyone out there who has succeeded in business knows that a turnaround takes time. I AGREE that [Redacted] has more work to do, and I also AGREE that if he doesn't get the team into at least the NIT next year he should be gone.

But these "Fire BZ" ads and all the rest reveal a completely unrealistic understanding of how organizations are built and long-term, sustainable success is achieved . You can't tear something down and then rebuild it in just 3 seasons.

PATIENCE, PEOPLE!!

Yep. You're a clown troll. All clown trolls AGREE. All caps.

We are unlikely to make the NIT in year 4 after going to the postseason 18 of 20 previous years and those are unrealistic expectations?

Also, what is the basis for concluding our recruiting is "going well"?

PATIENCE, PEOPLE!!

Again, you're preaching patience to us in the same breath that you're stating how glad you are that he left CU. Would you have still preached patience to yourself had he stayed?

Wake fans, if anything, are too patient.

(I still think the poster isn't serious so I don't know why I keep entering the fray.)

2013 State of Wake Forest:

A coach that was drummed out of Colorado, to much cheering of the CU basketball fanbase, save one apparently, has finished his third season at an astonishing 33-59 overall record with a whopping 10 ACC wins in that timeframe.

Haven't sunked low enough yet?

Now a Buffaloes fan is giving us advice about basketball and coaching. Facepalm

Wake Forest Basketball: today will be better than tomorrow.

Also lol at telling us if we had business sense we would get it. Bz, is that you?

Back