• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Talks Culture & Predictions for Next Season

“I’m forever grateful for what coach has done. It’s kind of unfair to ask that question and put that pressure on coach because the situation he was brought here with, before we were even here,” said Thomas, referring to [Redacted] being tasked with cleaning up the program and restoring the university’s integrity.

You know, this whole "culture" thing has been phrased a lot of different ways over the past 4 years, but I think this is the most offensive. Shit like this makes it sound like we had a Baylor thing going on with players murdering each other and coaches covering it up. It's especially egregious when we have a university RIGHT DOWN THE STREET that is embroiled in an actual honest-to-God athletic scandal that has indeed tarnished that university's integrity. Talk about culture all you wish, but don't talk about Wake Forest University's injured "integrity" as a result of the basketball program. That is ridiculous.

More evidence of #nosat.

Pretty sure the answer to this SAT question isn't C.

Fill in the blank:
8, 13, 13, 17, _____

A. 17
B. 20
C. 25
D. Who cares? End this.

A. Pattern is +5, +0, +4, +0... in two years we could expect +3 and end up with 20 wins.

You know, this whole "culture" thing has been phrased a lot of different ways over the past 4 years, but I think this is the most offensive. Shit like this makes it sound like we had a Baylor thing going on with players murdering each other and coaches covering it up. It's especially egregious when we have a university RIGHT DOWN THE STREET that is embroiled in an actual honest-to-God athletic scandal that has indeed tarnished that university's integrity. Talk about culture all you wish, but don't talk about Wake Forest University's injured "integrity" as a result of the basketball program. That is ridiculous.

this.

i was disappointed in Dino's post-season performance, but I never felt that anything about his program impugned the university's integrity. And neither did anyone else, until a year after he was fired and the AD started leaking vague rumors about #culture to justify the bzaster.

THIS. And ironically, the brainwashing, censorship (i.e. radio show) and revisionist history drivel that this AD has fed the players and fans is in some ways just as toxic to our University's "culture" as the poor decisions of a few 18 - 21 year old future lottery picks who attended WFU under Dino.

THIS. And ironically, the brainwashing, censorship (i.e. radio show) and revisionist history drivel that this AD has fed the players and fans is in some ways just as toxic to our University's "culture" as the poor decisions of a few 18 - 21 year old future lottery picks who attended WFU under Dino.

This.

I never met a successful pessimist.
If Devin's goal next year is 25 wins.......go for it!
Start working on things now that are necessary to make it happen.

Honestly, I never quite got over that mobster suit he sported at that first home game.

I understand it's easy to rag on the way someone dresses, but did Dino's suits honestly make you think less of him? Bzz dresses like a cult leader and while it's embarrassing his demeanor and coaching ability are far more offensive. Pitino, Calipari, Jamie Dixon, Lavin, Maseillo...they all dress like alike. NY Italians. I'm not arguing that Dino was a great coach, but when I hear comments like that I can't help but wonder if it's our own fanbases hypocrisy that has led us to the place we currently are. Not everyone is a cutout from a Brooks Brothers catalog. If we really want to become a national university then we have to lose the southern conservative sheen. Fact is, we are no longer a local school. Much of our alumni base resides outside of the southeast.

Not picking on you and I'm probably making too much of this, but I just think it's comments like those that end up adding to this elitist "culture" conversation that the school has created. As a graduate, I think it's embarrassing to see your alma mater trotting out the integrity card every week as if Wake Forest athletes are somehow more evolved than those at any number of great schools. The more you have to try and explain how special you are, the less attractive you become. You'd think an "elite" school like Wake would understand that.

I understand it's easy to rag on the way someone dresses, but did Dino's suits honestly make you think less of him?

Yes, you are making more out of it than I intended, but I do understand your point. It was not meant as a slam on Italians in general (I am a Casa Artom veteran and I like Italy and Italians and Italian-Americans), any more than comments about those ties are an indictment of whatever culture (double entendre intended) Bz comes out of.

No, that attire did not influence my opinion of Dino, but it did make me think of him as a little out of his element. As I recall he was "less formally attired" at the very next game. But it was a little much, that three piece double-breasted suit, and all I could think about when I saw it was the good people at Norman Stockton (or whoever outfitted him) gasping when Dino said "that's the one I want." He had not been like that as an assistant on the sideline, either, so I interpreted it as a sort of vanity that I had not seen before.

I like Masiello and would not be upset to see him hired (though I remain partial to Smart and Marshall). I think it's time for a little swagger, at least emotional swagger. But I prefer my coaches more modestly attired.

No offense intended and none taken.

Last edited:
I don't understand the open hostility for Devin at all and why anyone thinks it's cool to bash him regularly. He plays with emotion. I like that. Sure, there ate times he could do better but that's always going to be his struggle. I don't ever remember fans picking on a player like this in our history- except the Chas(e)'s- but Devin is actually our best player much of the time. Bizarre.
He feels attached to the coach. When everyone bashes the coach publicly, he feels it too and tries to defend it. He probably feels as alienated from the fans as Bz does. That's loyalty and that's on us. Holy fuck! I don't get some of this fan base.

I don't understand the open hostility for Devin at all and why anyone thinks it's cool to bash him regularly. He plays with emotion. I like that. Sure, there ate times he could do better but that's always going to be his struggle. I don't ever remember fans picking on a player like this in our history- except the Chas(e)'s- but Devin is actually our best player much of the time. Bizarre.
He feels attached to the coach. When everyone bashes the coach publicly, he feels it too and tries to defend it. He probably feels as alienated from the fans as Bz does. That's loyalty and that's on us. Holy fuck! I don't get some of this fan base.

Totally agree. Are you guys so insecure that you attack a kid who stands up for his coach and doesn't validate your opinion? Come on. Your fight is not with Devin, it's with Wellman and Hatch.

Free Devin.

There was little hostility for Devin until he openly called his own team mates out as lazy and then went out and stood around on the court pouting. And then he followed it up with a call out of the fans. It all went down hill from there. There's a difference between being passionate and aggressive towards the other team while taking on and beating some of the best in the nation (see JHo, CP, etc) and calling out your team/fans after a loss, calling out other players on other teams after losing to them, and flexing towards the sky in meaningless games (see Devin).

Devin is going down the Kenny Okoro path. Very promising freshman year, disappointing sophomore year more known for histrionics than consistent production.

Back