• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Talks Culture & Predictions for Next Season

Not sure if you're being facetious or not. I've been worried about Wake grads from the post-Skip era treating NITs like they are gold and losing the championship aspirations that Wake grads from the 90s and early 00s had.

Totally serious. In the past few days, we've seen defenses of this team's performance from "They're Besties!" to "They Try Hard, that's what matters!" And they've not come from the golden oldies, like they used to, but by posters 25 or younger, usually. It's loony tunes, and you were on-point on this well ahead of anyone else.

I didn't know that not playing hard was a criticism that people had of Devin. Dude pretty much plays hard all the time.

He got beat down the court for easy Pitt layups at least three times yesterday.

The talent, the skill, the passion is all there. Dude needs to put it together upstairs. I really hope he does, we're going to need him.

I can confirm that if I went to Wake during the [Redacted] experiment then I would probably never give two shits about Wake basketball

I just assume that any current students that are bball fans are weirdo face painters

I can confirm if Wake was in the [Redacted] experiment back in 1993 when I was deciding where to go to school, I wouldn't have gone to Wake.

Keep in mind, that was only a few years after Staak was canned. Make a good hire, get some good recruits in and this thing can turn around.

Showing a lot of emotion on the court does not equate to giving 100% effort all game. His transition defense is very poor. He must have given Pitt at least 2 or 3 transition buckets yesterday because he didn't hustle back. His help defense has been absolutely atrocious all season. Those are hustle plays. I think his effort will improve with a new coach.

Last edited:
I don't think a failure to shift over and help on defense shows a lack of effort...I would put that primarily on coaching. Similarly I kind of group in not getting back (because you're slow to get up...which I agree you should be faster at) is just not really paying attention rather than not giving it 100%.

Not sure if you're being facetious or not. I've been worried about Wake grads from the post-Skip era treating NITs like they are gold and losing the championship aspirations that Wake grads from the 90s and early 00s had.

Totally serious. In the past few days, we've seen defenses of this team's performance from "They're Besties!" to "They Try Hard, that's what matters!" And they've not come from the golden oldies, like they used to, but by posters 25 or younger, usually. It's loony tunes, and you were on-point on this well ahead of anyone else.

rationalizing bad performances aside, i like this notion that you're a better fan if your team is better

remember the good ole days when the team was good, the fans were good, the wimmenz were good? these juniors just don't get it!

rationalizing bad performances aside, i like this notion that you're a better fan if your team is better

remember the good ole days when the team was good, the fans were good, the wimmenz were good? these juniors just don't get it!

THOSE were the days

141984-650-366.jpg

What buckets said.

a_gray_il.jpg

Note that J-Gray is showing emotion AFTER hitting a big shot in a game that mattered.

The fact that I still entered Wake in 05 after the best days in two decades were behind Wake bball is a MIRACLE.

Good lord. Who on the team plays harder than Devin on both ends? The guy constantly posts up, moves around the paint, high block to low block. He rebounds better than anyone we got. He's diving on the floor, he's firing up the crowd. He's played injured much of the year. If you think he doesn't hustle way more than the average player I suspect you haven't played the game before or just don't like him.

Good lord. Who on the team plays harder than Devin on both ends? The guy constantly posts up, moves around the paint, high block to low block. He rebounds better than anyone we got. He's diving on the floor, he's firing up the crowd. He's played injured much of the year. If you think he doesn't hustle way more than the average player I suspect you haven't played the game before or just don't like him.

Devin doesn't play very good defense and his effort level on the defensive end flags a lot. His defensive rebounding went down significantly in conference play as well. Don't conflate making a lot of noise with defensive effort.

Also, by the numbers Moto is every bit a good of a rebounder as Devin...

Ah. The 90s and 00s crowd trying to take ownership of all that has ever been good in Deaconland. Precious. :thumbsup:

Also, by the numbers Moto is every bit a good of a rebounder as Devin...

Right, and Moto is also a hard worker and excellent rebounder. Devin is way more productive than Bill and no one is here calling Bill out for his shortcomings.
I'm just saying let's go easy on the guys who are wearing the gold and black. They're our guys and have had to endure the shit storm of [Redacted] for 2 years.

Ever seen moto talk smack pregame in an opposing huddle? Ever called teammates out? Does he complain constantly?

Back