• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Danny Manning considered for WFU job, meets with Wellman 3/31/14

Being the self proclaimed smartest man in the room can hinder a person's ability to negotiate winning deals.

just don't see Wellman's ego letting him come home empty handed

Which, as I posted several pages back, I think we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and desperation might soon take over if these so-called high profile coaches shun us, as it appears might be the case.

That's why, instead of hiring some coach with shaky credentials, only to say we've found a coach, we might be better served by just letting Chill and Rusty run things strictly as interim, while we search for a new AD, and then allow the new AD to make his/her assessment and hire a quality coach. In other words, let's put the horse before the cart. Give Wellman a retirement package and let's start repairing things. But, the last damn thing we need to do is hire yet another coach that will even further alienate the community, the fans and alums. Invoke the "law of holes" here.

If Wellman can only turn up Danny Manning after this entire search process, it's obvious Wellman should be shown the door. And, I think Manning may be a fine coach in 4-5 years at the ACC level. But, it's all about context. And our context is that we have been essentially lied to and screwed, as a fan base, by a totally inept hire. Thus, replacing this disaster with yet another coach with scant credentials is NOT the way to reassure a nervous and pissed fan base.

Maybe Ron pulls a miracle hire from his ass and we all party like hell. I certainly hope so. I seriously don't think so.

I agree with you, doc. I definitely think Wellman wants his legacy to be having landed a big catch of a coach. The question is whether he can climb over the wreckage that he has inflicted on a once-proud program and make that happen. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Not new information. We've been talking about this for years. Wellman missed a chance to hire a coach after Skip. He blew it with Bz. Now the climate is bad for getting a successful coach to come to a down program unless it's VT apparently.

Quite frankly, he blew it when he hired Dino. I know that was a really tough situation. That it may have felt like there was no choice. Heck, emotionally I'm not sure how he may have gotten the guts to do anything else. Everyone must have been so raw. But we'd be in a different place had we given Dino his interim stature and then moved on to someone else IMMEDIATELY.

RJ honestly, how do you know what Shaka wants/ has wanted in the past?

Being a jock sniffer for a former player who left WFU in disgrace and transferred to VCU has it's privileges.

Quite frankly, he blew it when he hired Dino. I know that was a really tough situation. That it may have felt like there was no choice. Heck, emotionally I'm not sure how he may have gotten the guts to do anything else. Everyone must have been so raw. But we'd be in a different place had we given Dino his interim stature and then moved on to someone else IMMEDIATELY.

Anybody who dared to suggest hiring a new coach or going with Dino as an interim coach got criticized for it. Wellman did the will of the fans by trusting the assistants.

Anybody who dared to suggest hiring a new coach or going with Dino as an interim coach got criticized for it. Wellman did the will of the fans by trusting the assistants.

learned that going with the will of the fans wasn't such a good idea

Wellman just got in $10 million dollars to build some giant new facility. I know we dislike Wellman and all, and all this "pressure" is on him, but you guys all realize he's here as long as he wants to be, right?

So LOL he's using Wake as leverage to get in lower quality recruits at Tulsa?

Seems legit

The comments section of that article is pure gold:

"There is the question whether TU- without compromising its status as an elite academic institution..." could make slight adjustments in standards. GOOD LORD! We all know what that means. We need more colored folk. And somehow I think the direction of the slight adjustments is not up.

Where is Luca Brazi when you need him?

Have Luca Brasi on roving guard duty around the country and have Mosca de Montelepre shield the HC's office in W-S, or vice versa.

Wellman just got in $10 million dollars to build some giant new facility. I know we dislike Wellman and all, and all this "pressure" is on him, but you guys all realize he's here as long as he wants to be, right?

Anyone can be taken down and moved out. Anyone.

So LOL he's using Wake as leverage to get in lower quality recruits at Tulsa?

Seems legit

No way we ever hire Manning after pulling this stunt (not that we were necessarily considering him anyhow).

Wellman was watching that La Tech (White) versus Tulsa (Manning) game closely as White must have been near the top of his list.

Once Tulsa won the game, he was like "I guess Manning is better."

Yeah.

Here is a thread on the KU board about Manning/Wake. Not surprising we can't get a big name coach to come here if this is the national perception.

This comment stuck out to me...

Makes sense, but Wake is a chit job. Really chitty since ACC expanded. They fired that Dino guy who had decent records and hired a damn loser coach in Jeff [Redacted]. It was freaking stupid. So if Ron Wellman (athletic director ) sticks around your boss is a nut who might just get fired any moment. Then you face the prospect of working for a new guy who may want to fire you and bring his own guy in. I'd go after a different job. Wake sucks.

As usual you have no clue what you are talking about. Why don't you PM Brews and ask him if he's actually seen some of the stuff "I've completely made up"?

You LITERALLY admitted to making it up in your own God damn post posted here:

RW's personality, style, rep. The fact he's not going to be here through the first contract.

This is a dream job for Shaka. It's everything he has wanted for years. It's small, quality education, a community that he and his family can be a part of and top bball.

With the bucks we have to spend, it should be the no brainer of all no brainers.

My fear is RW put $3M/year for 7-10 years on the table and said "take it or leave it" and pissed Shaka off. $3M was a good place to start, but there was more in our back pocket. I'm worried that RW's ego got in the way like Pete Dalis did at UCLA over and over again.

YOU MADE IT UP AND ADMITTED IT WAS A HYPOTHETICAL, YOU IDIOT.

Somebody quote all 3 of those posts, for that bastard, so he sees them. I'm sure he will ignore them and/or blame me, because he can't weasel his way out of that nonsense.

rj's posts = #1710247 and #1710293

Oh, and Brews and moonzzzz. This shit is your fucking fault for trying to validate what this windbag clown says. I know you both "feel sorry" for him about how lonely and sad his life is, but he is a jackass that just throws shit against the wall to try and look informed over half of the time. You both know it, so stop pretending otherwise to "play nice" to the loser that I know (for a fact, as in, you've told me) you feel sorry for.

Back