• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Partial Blame

55% Wellman's narrative post-Dino concerning an ex-coach who has friends in the coaching community and able to set the record straight

This may be more important than we know. Dino has taken the high road and been very quiet publically. But, we don't know what he has said to his friends and acquaintances in the coaching community. Anyone considering the job might reach out to Dino and and ask what the deal is with RW and all this 'culture' talk... Depending on how Dino responds, this could really impact people's decisions.

How many articles would have been written about Wake and [Redacted] if not for the billboards?

Zero, because Wake bball was wholly irrelevant last year. The only reason the media even knew about the awfulness of the bz-era was through the work of the fans. Otherwise, they would have continued (and some did) to parrot back the AD talking points.

The irony is the folks on this board routinely talk about how delusional other fan bases are, how the unrealistic expectations and very public and over the top nature way the fans lunch their coaches is absurd. Then when the dumbass self-entitled twits in this board get written up they think for their child-like behavior they actually believe that not only are they not part of the problem, they think they are the only thing working towards a solution. Pathetic display of common sense and self-awareness. Truly pathetic

That's not irony.

search function not his friend

It's funny, when we were putting the board together and decided on a search function, it was actually referred to as "RJ's Worst Enemy." True story.

1. Read this thread.

2. Realize that RJ is still much smarter than the Strattons.

It's funny, when we were putting the board together and decided on a search function, it was actually referred to as "RJ's Worst Enemy." True story.

There's nothing hypocritical about the actions I proposed versus billboards and ads at the ACCT.

As to the "toilets", it was understated and would have been seen as funny. It's not as "in your face" or outright confrontational. But don't let little like reality and nuance get in your way.

BTW, I bet you'll find some quotes of mine stating the ads and billboards will make us look bad....NAH there's no sense bringing those up....

There's nothing hypocritical about the actions I proposed versus billboards and ads at the ACCT.

As to the "toilets", it was understated and would have been seen as funny. It's not as "in your face" or outright confrontational. But don't let little like reality and nuance get in your way.

BTW, I bet you'll find some quotes of mine stating the ads and billboards will make us look bad....NAH there's no sense bringing those up....

Nothing in your post has to do with the fact that the test version of the search function was referred to as "RJ's Worst Enemy." Absolutely nothing.

OK. :)

But in this case, the search didn't prove anything...well other than to the Usual Suspects.

OK. :)

But in this case, the search didn't prove anything...well other than to the Usual Suspects.

"The Usual Suspects" seems to grow every time you post. A couple dozen posters, with wildly different join dates, in this thread alone.

Eventually it stops being everyone else that's the problem.

Can't believe we're still fighting about the billboards, but I'll just add my 4 cents:

1) Unless a candidate or Wellman comes out says it, we'll probably never know whether the billboards had any effect on the desirability of our coaching vacancy;
2) Unless Wellman or a member of Wake's administration or the BoT comes out and says it, we'll also probably never know whether the billboards had any impact on [Redacted]'s "resignation";
3) All things being equal, I doubt the billboards really moved the needle much on either issue; and
4) All things being equal, I don't see any way how the billboards affirmatively helped or improved the attractiveness of our head coaching vacancy. Do I think a few billboards scared off multiple candidates each of whom were offered millions a year to come coach ACC basketball? Ehh, probably not. But I certainly don't think they helped much, either.

Yeah there's no chance a bunch of immature billboards helped the future coaching search. I also suspect they didn't have much of anything to do with the former coach being let go.

But at the end of the day coaching NCAA basketball in D1 is now about money, less wins means less money, less money means new leadership needed (or.... a culture change).

So I can't really see how any prospective coach would consider whether a fanbase who was accustomed to NCAA tournament bids then went on a huge drought of any tournament bids was upset enough to act childish as a result of that type of performance.

If you told me 4 years ago what the former coach's record was going to be I would have pretty easily predicted this outcome, or worse.

No, it's not. What you're describing is coincidence.

For your reference: http://thatsnotironic.com/ Brush up, son.

nah he's kinda right in my opinion

there's a disparity of awareness between the actor and the observer

"a plot device according to which (a) the spectators know more than the protago­nist; (b) the character reacts in a way contrary to that which is appropriate or wise; (c) characters or situations are compared or contrasted for ironic effects, such as parody; or (d) there is a marked contrast between what the character understands about his acts and what the play demonstrates about them."

Preminger, A. & Brogan, T. V. F. Brogan, The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, MJF Books, 1993, ISBN 9780691032719, pp. 633–635.

Read what he posted again, Townie. Then explain how the disparate things he's trying to connect fit into that definition.

Back