• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Partial Blame

But you can see an irony in the same group of people calling other fanbases nuts and doing the same kinds of things themselves. They lack the self-awareness to see the humor in the situation, but we can if we step back.

At least I think that was where he was headed.

But you can see an irony in the same group of people calling other fanbases nuts and doing the same kinds of things themselves. They lack the self-awareness to see the humor in the situation, but we can if we step back.

At least I think that was where he was headed.

If that's what he'd conveyed and/or written, I'd agree with you.

Perhaps you're just a more generous reader than I am. Regardless, there's much irony to be found in DuncanDeac calling other posters "twits."

Would it be fair to say there have been a number of plots twists in this thread?

Guys, let's get back on track here: the real question is whether it's irony or hypocrisy. Pretty sure Manning would've been announced as our coach by now had we been able to resolve this.

If you can't understand the difference between doing something humorous at your local building and putting up billboards on highways, there's not much we can discuss.

If you can't understand the difference between doing something at your building and placing an ad in the paper of record with the national press sure to get a hold of it, there's not much we can discuss as you just don't get it.

There's no hypocrisy or lack of self-awareness. There's only a gross lack contextual understanding.

Those of you blaming the fanbase for this are experiencing some twisted version of Stockholm Syndrome with the AD.

If you can't understand the difference between doing something humorous at your local building and putting up billboards on highways, there's not much we can discuss.

If you can't understand the difference between doing something at your building and placing an ad in the paper of record with the national press sure to get a hold of it, there's not much we can discuss as you just don't get it.

There's no hypocrisy or lack of self-awareness. There's only a gross lack contextual understanding.

I just want to give RJ props for some improved copy-editing over the past couple weeks. There's been noticeable improvement.

Those of you blaming the fanbase for this are experiencing some twisted version of Stockholm Syndrome with the AD.

It's a combination of this and idiocy.

Can it be argued that wake fans calling publicly for [Redacted]'s head plus the billboards plus rolling the quad when he left indicates a lack of class? Sure.

Can it be logically argued that these actions of the fans have any statistically significant impact on any active coaching search to the point where it may have negatively impacted our chances at landing a better coach?

No. Not at all. It's idiotic to do so.

A small part of our PR problem is that all of our Bball alumni are in the league working for a living while Dookie has several of their angry underachieving prized alumnus running motorcycles off cliffs and talking shit about their little brother on ESPN Ocho. I don't care what anybody says, 4 Natti's or not, I think it really sticks in their crawl that out of all the folks they've sent to the league they've never managed more than some sound role players while we've pumped out a Hall of Famer, superstars, allstars, starters and role players.

member that bummer year of 09? well it looks like Teague is at the early stages of a nice 15 year career. he's averaging like 16 and 7 or something. Looks like James Johnson is carving out a nice little niche for himself too. Aminu and Ish…..are on teams. Quite frankly I don't know when this whole "no 1 and cones" bs started in the first place. We've never had one but we've always piped out league talent. That was our identity. I want that shit back and I'll take the allusion of being a competitor every year in return.

…..I don't even know what this thread is about. I'll assume it's that the billboards were bad. …… Whatevs. The absolute meanest thing to happen to Bz during his tenure, hands down, was the firebz.com website…..It had no original content, it was strictly the man's CV. So, I don't know what to tell you.

You're a moron.

100-300 people should each find an old toilet, put it in their trunk and then put them out together at The Joel. That should get some national press......

Once again you miss the point. The toilet idea was a jumping off point. It would have gotten and likely internet coverage. It would have been less threatening and more effective than doing nothing at that point.

You also forget my concept of starting with 10-20 BuzzOut T-Shirts at games and growing to hundreds by the end of the season.

If the petition was done properly, we'd have 2500-7500 signatures from all over the country.

I wouldn't want a coach who is scared that fans will take out an ad if they have three seasons with a historically bad record.

I wouldn't want a coach who is scared that fans will take out an ad if they have three seasons with a historically bad record.

Agreed. He shouldn't be afraid of accountability, or a fanbase who wants to win.

A small part of our PR problem is that all of our Bball alumni are in the league working for a living while Dookie has several of their angry underachieving prized alumnus running motorcycles off cliffs and talking shit about their little brother on ESPN Ocho. I don't care what anybody says, 4 Natti's or not, I think it really sticks in their crawl that out of all the folks they've sent to the league they've never managed more than some sound role players while we've pumped out a Hall of Famer, superstars, allstars, starters and role players.

member that bummer year of 09? well it looks like Teague is at the early stages of a nice 15 year career. he's averaging like 16 and 7 or something. Looks like James Johnson is carving out a nice little niche for himself too. Aminu and Ish…..are on teams. Quite frankly I don't know when this whole "no 1 and cones" bs started in the first place. We've never had one but we've always piped out league talent. That was our identity. I want that shit back and I'll take the allusion of being a competitor every year in return.

Pos rep. I want that back too.

Agreed. He shouldn't be afraid of accountability, or a fanbase who wants to win.

Made me think of the movie Big Trouble:

"Henry Desalvo: I got a great New York Strip over there that cost me $27 in change and it tastes like I'm eating a cigar butt. Now please put out your cigars.

Bruce: There's no rule against smoking here.

Henry Desalvo: This isn't about rules, it's about manners. Now there's no rule that says that I cant come over here and fart on your entree. But I don't do it. Why? Because it's not good manners. Now I'm asking you please - put out your cigars.

Bruce: [blows smoke in Henry's face] No.

[Henry breaks his middle and index fingers]

Bruce: I hope you realize you've just committed assault.

Henry Desalvo: I know. There was a time when you actually had to hit somebody."

What they may not want to deal with is a bunch of classless idiots who put up billboards and attack his wife on the internet when they allegedly want you to be their coach.

If one school is offering you $2.5-3.5M/ year, you know someone else will. Why deal with such morons? Why deal with people who insult your wife?

My bad it's OK to insult someone's wife you've never met as long you are a millennial, maybe hipster, self-indulgent Wake Forest fan.

nah he's kinda right in my opinion

there's a disparity of awareness between the actor and the observer

"a plot device according to which (a) the spectators know more than the protago­nist; (b) the character reacts in a way contrary to that which is appropriate or wise; (c) characters or situations are compared or contrasted for ironic effects, such as parody; or (d) there is a marked contrast between what the character understands about his acts and what the play demonstrates about them."

Preminger, A. & Brogan, T. V. F. Brogan, The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, MJF Books, 1993, ISBN 9780691032719, pp. 633–635.

Thanks. I am right. And it's a stupid point for debate anyway. Or perhaps I mean idiotic.

The point, RJ, even ignoring the contradiction of wanting something to get national press & then blaming something else for getting national press, is that you're going to have people who act out in any fan base. Literally every single BCS school will have loud, hostile, irritable fans. In fact, most schools will have a much louder and much larger contingent. Any coach who is turning down Wake because of this contingent, regardless of your individual feelings about that group of the fanbase, is going to fail at any other serious basketball program offering that amount of money, because each school in that situation, if met with circumstances similar to [Redacted]'s tenure, would have had a group of fans who acted similarly/if not worse. Any potential coach who doesn't recognize this or is intimidated by this fact shouldn't be here or around any 'major' program.

If that's what he'd conveyed and/or written, I'd agree with you.

Perhaps you're just a more generous reader than I am. Regardless, there's much irony to be found in DuncanDeac calling other posters "twits."

Are you being ironic here?

Back