• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

It used to be on the corner where Xcarat is, now it's in between "The Bar on 4th Street" and Jimmy Johns. I don't know if it was some place before Xcarat location.

It actually started where it is now and then moved when that condo building was completed. It was very popular before the move. I have not been since it moved back but need to try it again.

Speaking of The Bar on 4th Street, anyone been in there? That place used to be sketch city, but I popped in there early one evening several months ago. They spent some $ upgrading it. One of the patrons told me he likes the vibe but gets a little rougher around the edges late night...

Yeah there were literally two people there last night when we ate (~6pm). I guess it might be too early but I figured they’d be busy because of The Nutcracker. I think parking really hurts them. We ended up parking in the deck on Cherry St after not finding street parking anywhere nearby.

Went to Reboot last night too. Cool spot. I don’t think I would like it if it was busy but we basically had the place to ourselves.

Speaking of downtown, I have a rotation of places I go to eat. Am I missing any really good spots? (I don't go everyday, maybe 2 of these spots a week)

6th and Vine
Crafted
Burger Batch
Xcaret
Obrien's Deli
Local 27101
Hutch and Harris
Willows Bistro
Mellow Mushroom
Downtown Thai
Thai Harmony
Mary's Diner

Also Urban Street Grill (Korean BBQ) food truck is awesome on Friday's at Bailey Park.

I intentionally left off Famous Toastery because Mary's diner is better. And Camel City BBQ because they recently had a C rating.

Mooney's
King Crab's Oyster Bar
Murphy's and Courtside Café are both great meat and two veggie places.
Skippy's
The food truck on Tuesday at Bailey Park is good too. Steak and Cheese is good.

Had Urban Street Grill today.

Speaking of downtown, I have a rotation of places I go to eat. Am I missing any really good spots? (I don't go everyday, maybe 2 of these spots a week)

6th and Vine
Crafted
Burger Batch
Xcaret
Obrien's Deli
Local 27101
Hutch and Harris
Willows Bistro
Mellow Mushroom
Downtown Thai
Thai Harmony
Mary's Diner

Also Urban Street Grill (Korean BBQ) food truck is awesome on Friday's at Bailey Park.

I intentionally left off Famous Toastery because Mary's diner is better. And Camel City BBQ because they recently had a C rating.

Mooney's
King Crab's Oyster Bar
Skippy's

Mooney's
King Crab's Oyster Bar
Skippy's

Mooney's
King Crab's Oyster Bar
Skippy's

Actually intentionally left off Mooneys, King Crab, and Skippys. Skippys used to be my favorite spot to eat. It's changed quite a bit, and not nearly as good. I've never been a big fan of mooneys. And King's crab may be the worst restaurant on 4th street. The service is excruciatingly slow, and I ordered a shrimp salad one time, and the shrimp were gray and smelled rotten. And it's pricey.

Skippy's got bad? That's sad news.

New Owner since Mike passed away. Different feel, changed the pretzel roll I believe, changed the fries. They used to use fresh potatoes for the fries. Now frozen.

Skippy's not as good as it was but still like it. I have always gotten good service and food at king crab. Usually get oyster po boy

For quick and affordable "bar food", need to add Putters, TJ's and First Street to the rotation.

I'd also add Little Richards BBQ and for wings you gotta go with Waldos/Teds/Ronnies.

Mozelles, Village Tavern(Original in the Village) and QB. Spring House(same owners as QB) is also very good, IMO.

Meant to add: affordable and good "diner breakfast", we've always gone to Mama Zoe's. Nothing fancy about it but it's good for what it is.

There used to be a wing place that delivered wings around campus (not pizza hut) but I'm not finding it. Wing Zone maybe? The wings were avg, but my roommates and I used to crush that. Wings to your front door was awesome in college.

There used to be a wing place that delivered wings around campus (not pizza hut) but I'm not finding it. Wing Zone maybe? The wings were avg, but my roommates and I used to crush that. Wings to your front door was awesome in college.

It was Wing Zone in the Reynolda Manor shopping center.

New Owner since Mike passed away. Different feel, changed the pretzel roll I believe, changed the fries. They used to use fresh potatoes for the fries. Now frozen.

I went to Skippy's about two weeks ago for the first time in a while. The hot dog was actually really, really good. The pretzel bun was a lot better than shortly after the re-open. Overall the best I've had there since Mike passed away. Didn't try the fries but I usually go dog+dog rather than dog+fries. If you haven't been in a while, try it again. Especially if the big white dude is manning the grill.

Bar at 4th used to me my jam. I like divey places though.

I always shoot down Downtown Thai, the times I went in the past it was solid but the owner is a huge POS

For quick and affordable "bar food", need to add Putters, TJ's and First Street to the rotation.

I'd also add Little Richards BBQ and for wings you gotta go with Waldos/Teds/Ronnies.

Mozelles, Village Tavern(Original in the Village) and QB. Spring House(same owners as QB) is also very good, IMO.

Meant to add: affordable and good "diner breakfast", we've always gone to Mama Zoe's. Nothing fancy about it but it's good for what it is.

Get there before 6. #noreservations

Meta's, in that square office building next to the old Sheriff's office, is good, cheap soul food. Doesn't get a lot of buzz but been there for years

Meta’s was closed for renovations for a while but I know they reopened and I assume are still there.

Back