• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I don't think the people who have been saying "Trump is great for the stock market" are going to care that all the 2018 gains have been wiped out.

I'm guessing they'll say the blue wave talk is scaring people and once people show their loyalty to Trump at the polls, the markets will be back.

Smart investors made money on the trump bump

I don't think the people who have been saying "Trump is great for the stock market" are going to care that all the 2018 gains have been wiped out.

I'm guessing they'll say the blue wave talk is scaring people and once people show their loyalty to Trump at the polls, the markets will be back.

I’m still up on investments YTD.

All investors made money on the Trump bump and should still be up YTD. Let’s dispel with this notion that creamy and 22 are savvy investors.

How do you think the rube base did?

The rubes on the Tunnels Left? Not too well considering they likely went to cash in 2016 after reading Paul Krugman's article in the NYT predicting economic doomsday if Trump won the election.

The rubes on the Tunnels Left? Not too well considering they likely went to cash in 2016 after reading Paul Krugman's article in the NYT predicting economic doomsday if Trump won the election.

Give it some time - we're starting to see it (doubt anyone here did that, by the way).

Do media endorsements matter in general elections anymore?

What does "a hit dog will holler" refer to?

Never heard it until Gillum said it. He's kind of country.

"the racists believe he's a racist" is a pretty sweet turn of phrase.

Yeah. That's a great way to put it. It puts DeSantis and his ilk in a tough spot. They have to claim their associates and supporters aren't racist which won't help with non-racist Republicans or just ignore it which will hurt with Independents.

What does "a hit dog will holler" refer to?

In the debate is was in reference to DeSantis complaining about being branded a racist.

The colloquialism is that howling about an issue too much is an exclamation of guilt (he doth protest too much) - i.e. the comments/punch landed, so there was a reaction - if it just missed it isn't mentioned.

The colloquialism is that howling about an issue too much is an exclamation of guilt (he doth protest too much) - i.e. the comments/punch landed, so there was a reaction - if it just missed it isn't mentioned.

I know I point this out all the time, but that's *not* what the whole "doth protest too much" means. Or should mean. I guess it's a "literally" or "irregardless" situation, and it can mean whatever you want it to mean.

The irony of its misuse in this context is that it is the person *saying* it that is actually the subject of the dramatic irony.

I know I point this out all the time, but that's *not* what the whole "doth protest too much" means. Or should mean. I guess it's a "literally" or "irregardless" situation, and it can mean whatever you want it to mean.

The irony of its misuse in this context is that it is the person *saying* it that is actually the subject of the dramatic irony.

Original meaning is just overacting/insincerity then?

Original meaning is just overacting/insincerity then?
Closer. The irony is that the person calling out the overacting/insecurity is the guilty one, not the person doing the "protesting".

It's not very versatile which is why it's been wrongly appropriated. The imperfect analogy I can come up with off the top of my head is this: a Republican politician criticizes his white, democratic opponent for campaigning against voter suppression, dog-whistle politics, "black-on-black crime", saying that the Democrat "protests too much" about his work to end black voter disenfranchisement in the US. His comment actually reflects more on the Republican's views than it does the target of his criticism.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Back