• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#2 UVA @ Wake, 7:00 PM | Game Thread | GO DEACS!!

What was Wake's lowest scoring game at The Joel before last night? Who was the coach? Would love to know...thanks.

I believe it was the loss to NC State under Bz a few years back.

Basically, there's the record book, and then there's the "Jeff [Redacted] years" record book.

Last night scares me. That game was way beyond lack of talent.

uva was fired up after playing poorly against wake on their home court.

don't forget when dino was having trouble getting his guys to play defense the coaches went out to meet with bennett and learn his defense. they installed it and it worked pretty well for us. granted dino should have used a scheme more suited to the athleticism that he had back then but i was pretty convinced after that that bennett was a pretty good coach. certainly what he has done so far at uva is impressive.

It's easy to panic after last night's performance. There's no excuse for how badly Wake played. UVA has been making teams look that bad all year - it's not as though Anderson and Perrantes are completely irreplaceable types of players. I think we've been in more games this year than we should have been because of the three point shot. When Dinos or Mitch or Crab or some combination of the three are hitting three point shots, we look like a decent basketball team. When they aren't, and teams can focus on Codi and Devin, we look awful again. But much like it'd be dumb to take one of our good performances this year and say that we're a really good team, it's crazy how much this loss means to some of you. Seems likely we'll win 15 or 16 games this year, about what most people predicted pre-season. The freshmen have looked pretty good this year, especially considering they were recruited coming off the dumpster fire of the previous regime. Next year's recruiting class is rated even higher. The following year has some exciting prospects, and a big class is available even if we whiff on the 5 stars. Obviously, there are some serious trouble spots - Manning's bench coaching needs work, and this is the first time we've really folded this year after going down big. To me, this, the UNC game, and the Arkansas game are the only games this season where we looked like we didn't belong out there. There have been some other tough losses, and some losses we should have won, but we've been competitive in most games this year. Nobody cares about moral victories, but it's better than complete futility and "no way out" like it looked almost every night during the bz years. I think Manning is showing guys like Devin that he doesn't care how important they are to the team on a given night, if they won't buy in to his style, his plan, his way of playing, they won't play. He's totally willing to sacrifice a few wins this season to drive home that point if need be. If y'all really look at a guy like Danny Manning and think he thinks losing is ok, you're nuts.

Fourth season in a row where UVA has won 20 Games? Wasn't that what they said on the broadcast? And they have everyone back next year if Anderson doesn't jump to the league

So, any sighting this morning on campus of the team and Manning running suicides in the snow? I hope they were up at 5am after that terrible performance

Agree with Townie.

And I am completely willing to write off last night's dismal performance as an anomaly if we come out and play well against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Agree with Townie.

And I am completely willing to write off last night's dismal performance as an anomaly if we come out and play well against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

I'm not sure it was an anomally, but I also think it's not reasonable to think this bunch didn't have at least a Buzzz-esque stinker or two in them. I think the Pitt game will tell us something about how good Manning is at getting these guys back up after bottoming out.

Hitting 3s
Having CMM score in the open court
DT having a big game.

That is how this team scores. If none of those are clicking, we are going to get run.

Anomaly in that we had a week to prepare and came out with zero energy. Not anomaly in that we lost to a much better team. We were expected to lose.

Fourth season in a row where UVA has won 20 Games? Wasn't that what they said on the broadcast? And they have everyone back next year if Anderson doesn't jump to the league

I think Brogdon is the better pro prospect than Anderson and will have a better pro career. He's an underrated defender, strong and is more versatile offensively than Anderson. Only knock is his outside shot is a little flat. At the very least, he'll make a good combo G as the 1st guy off the bench to play either PG or 2G (he's a legit 6'5").

And yeah, I agree with the others that I'm willing to write off last night. But remember Pitt is a tough team defensively too, and they're playing the next few games to get on the right side of the bubble.

Last night scares me. That game was way beyond lack of talent.

Yep. Hard to accept how many parts have to fail in order to play that badly. Frankly it doesn't breed optimism, even if the talent improves significantly.

Anomaly in that we had a week to prepare and came out with zero energy. Not anomaly in that we lost to a much better team. We were expected to lose.

Except the last time we had a week to prepare, we also played with zero energy.

Except the last time we had a week to prepare, we also played with zero energy.

Weirdly the opposite of things under the former regime. At a quick glance, Bz was 4-4 after a week off.

Back