• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#2 UVA @ Wake, 7:00 PM | Game Thread | GO DEACS!!

2001-2002 Texas Tech Men's Basketball

RECORD: OVERALL HOME AWAY NEUTRAL
ALL GAMES........... (23-9) (15-2) (5-5) (3-2)
CONFERENCE.......... (10-6) (7-1) (3-5) (0-0)
NON-CONFERENCE...... (13-3) (8-1) (2-0) (3-2)

10 Shropshire, Marcus G SO
11 Storozynski, Pawel F JR (Late transfer)
12 Doudney, Nathan G FR
14 Emmett, Andre G SO (Returning starter from previous season, 7.7 PPG )
21 Chavis, Will G JR (Walk-on)
22 Powell, Kasib F JR (Late transfer)
23 Marshall, Michael G SO
24 Ross, Ronald G FR
30 Cassidy, Chris G SR
32 Valdez, Nick F JR
35 Arenas, Jesus F SR
45 Michalec, Mickey C FR
55 Ellis, Andy C SR (Returning starter from previous season, 14.5 PPG)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POINTS G Pts Pts/G
Emmett, Andre....... 32 599 18.7
Ellis, Andy......... 32 529 16.5
Powell, Kasib....... 32 484 15.1
Chavis, Will........ 32 245 7.7
Storozynski, Pawel.. 25 158 6.3
Doudney, Nathan..... 31 152 4.9
Valdez, Nick........ 27 114 4.2
Ross, Ronald........ 30 93 3.1
Marshall, Michael... 30 59 2.0
Shropshire, Marcus.. 24 47 2.0
Michalec, Mickey.... 17 27 1.6
Cassidy, Chris...... 12 14 1.2

The previous year (2000-01):

TEXAS TECH BASKETBALL
SEASON BOX SCORE - as of 03/03/01
ALL GAMES

RECORD: OVERALL HOME AWAY NEUTRAL
ALL GAMES................. (9-18) (6-8) (2-9) (1-1)
CONFERENCE................ (3-13) (3-5) (0-8) (0-0)
NON-CONFERENCE............ (6-5) (3-3) (2-1) (1-1)

Ok, I'm just saying these two things are not the same. No frosh starters, Sr, Jrs and So. DM brought in frosh that have to play Knight brought in Jr. transfers that had to play. And who do we have on our roster that compares to Andre Emmett? The guy is TT's all time leading scorer? In this season he was the only SO to make 1st team All Big 12.

Christ, we lose by 36 at home and we've got people arguing with Troll Emeritus about fucking Texas Tech. This has to be a PTSD symptom, right?

On the official Wake Forest Sports website they have quotes from Tony Bennett after the game tonight, including the following:

On working with Buzz Williams...
"I respect him. He is a heck of a coach and continues to build it for Marquette. We had to scrap and claw to walk away with victory. I respect his coaching skills."

What am I missing here? Did sports marketing just perform worse than the team tonight?

This kind of thing absolutely eats me alive. This crap happens AGAIN AND AGAIN and there is NOBODY holding anybody else accountable. There is no excuse for a school of Wake's caliber to have such piss-poor sports marketing.

Ron Wellman runs a small time operation unbefitting of the university we love.

deandreohmy.gif

Hey I was right about the game being a blow out.

Codi's shot will be no longer referred to as a shot, it will from hence forth be referred to as a heave. So let it be written, so let it be done.

A brick heave at that. He's also good at going 1 on 3 into the lane to get his shit put back.

Last edited:
On the official Wake Forest Sports website they have quotes from Tony Bennett after the game tonight, including the following:

On working with Buzz Williams...
"I respect him. He is a heck of a coach and continues to build it for Marquette. We had to scrap and claw to walk away with victory. I respect his coaching skills."

What am I missing here? Did sports marketing just perform worse than the team tonight?

Tonight's game didn't happen, hence quotes about another game.

Madison

- they played much harder even when they were up big, they brought more energy
- it was an effort thing, if we could have played harder from the beginning it could have been different
- we can't have just little spurts we've got to do it 40 min
- we can learn a lot from this and how we played
. That's bullshit. Effort had very little yo do with it except for maybe DT. Our lack of talent , a rim protector , and guard play were exposed by a very good team. That's the best defense I've seen played in a long time and UVA is well coached. Bennett has had s few years to get his players and integrate his system . UVA played very well and when we couldn't score it took the life out of the team .

Dayum. We had a bad game, but that was by far the best UVA has played since Anderson went down. That was Nolte's best game in a long time, and they got decent contributions from Shayock and even Hall. Without London and after our last game against them, I'm guessing Bennett did a great job of challenging the rest of the team. Defensively, you just knew they'd shut down Thomas again, but they also did a much better job of challenging the 3. On the 1 hand, it was really painful to watch, but on the other, I really do enjoy watching UVA play the packline at a high level. That was the 6th time they've held an opponent under 40, and there have been probably about that many other games where teams only got to 40 because they scored 10 points or so in garbage time.

. That's bullshit. Effort had very little yo do with it except for maybe DT. Our lack of talent , a rim protector , and guard play were exposed by a very good team. That's the best defense I've seen played in a long time and UVA is well coached. Bennett has had s few years to get his players and integrate his system . UVA played very well and when we couldn't score it took the life out of the team .

So are you expecting Madison to come out in an interview and say that his team has a lack of talent?

With our team's makeup, we were doomed to have games like this and @GT. We need talent. Hopefully things turn around vs Pitt.

Like most everyone else, I feel like this sets up well for us...

Too well, perhaps. So I'm taking UVA and laying the 7.5. Throw out that first game... UVA should play better (unless Perrantes sits). I still worry about our ability to score enough points. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

I didn't wager nearly enough to get any enjoyment out of that game. Yikes.

Emmett only averaged 7.7 PPG before Knight got there and developed him into the player he became. And it's not like the two transfers were all-world guys that every school in the country was drooling over. Kasib was solid at 15.1 PPG, but Storo only added 6.3 PPG. These were two last-minute "fillers" mostly. Top Juco's don't go to Lubbock in West Texas. That's why they were still around at the last minute when Knight had to put the pieces together for a team that only had four total returning roster players. The point is that while there may have been no frosh starters, three of his five starters had never played a minute for TT before he got there...and the other two only averaged a total of 22.2 PPG between them the previous year. And Knight took that hodge-podge group and won 23 games in one of the power conferences and made the NCAA Tournament.

at least rj was entertaining.

someone needs to tell the [Redacted] error players that its a new season and a new coach. they don't have to just quit to end the season. it's ok to keep trying.

someone needs to tell the [name redacted] error players that its a new season and a new coach. they don't have to just quit to end the season. it's ok to keep trying.

I've said it from the start...the [Redacted] taint can't just be washed off. We'll suffer from the two years he "molded" these guys until they graduate and move on.

Back