• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 FOOTBALL RECRUITING MEGA THREAD

One day.........maybe soon..........we're gonna get some of these guys

I feel like our best opportunity was after the OB/National Coach of the Year season, and with it not happening then I honestly don't expect it in the future. Our success will continue to be from tunring 3 stars into 4-5 stars, and while I hope we pick up the occasional 4-5, we need to bank on developing the lesser but still very talented guys who are out there. Most of our recruits now were also sought after by some of the "big name" programs, so we're a long way from the days of having to beat Appalachian and Kent State out for recruits.

I feel like our best opportunity was after the OB/National Coach of the Year season, and with it not happening then I honestly don't expect it in the future. Our success will continue to be from tunring 3 stars into 4-5 stars, and while I hope we pick up the occasional 4-5, we need to bank on developing the lesser but still very talented guys who are out there. Most of our recruits now were also sought after by some of the "big name" programs, so we're a long way from the days of having to beat Appalachian and Kent State out for recruits.

The difference between the haves and have nots has certainly increased in the past twenty with the ginormous television contracts that the large conferences get. We should never recruit at the ASU level again unless we are somehow left out of the new BCS (aka not going to happen).

We need to continue to improve our facilities to keep up with the Joneses.

Keep in mind that next year it is going to be an NCAA rule that all teams can only accept a max of 25 scholarships (excluding the back counting bs). This will dramatically improve our chances at landing some guys that we may not have gotten in seasons past. Doubt we will see any 5 star guys but we may land some solid 4s.

Some SR footage of Laronji Vason from youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2kKnJM0g08

--- As hard as it may be to imagine it appears that WF has signed a CB with skills equal to or greater than Alphonso and Bud.

* with the unfortunate signing day attention paid to lesser players we lost sight of the great class and better athletes that WF actually did sign.

No doubt in my mind that our DL is the best group yet brought in by Grobe.

The staff is jacked up that we were able to hold onto Josh Banks and lure Harris and Lewinson. Banks is the guy that the NC schools typically lose to Clemson. He has a great physique and quicks for a guy his size and it mystified the coaches that schools all along the East coast had not been all over him. No complaints here. I'm extremely pleased that he is not going to VT or Clem!

Harris is a legit 4.65 guy and it is a stunner how "lucky" WF is to have gotten him. He now sees the injury as a blessin because it led him to a great school and Coach Mac. The thing about Tyler is his exceptional natural strength -- as a H.S. Sophomore he won the Louisiana State title in the shot with a throw of 59 feet... as a sophomore! He is equally impressive with the discus and javelin. As with Banks, Harris projects at 275-280 pounds by the time he is a RS FR.

Lewinson is a carbon copy (athletically speaking) of former FSU All-American DT Ron Simmons. Like Simmons, Shelldon is 6'2 and 245 at present and the staff feels like he has a frame that can easily take on 30-40 more pounds without sacrificing his speed and quickness. He is probably the fastest interior DL I scouted this past season. Freakishly strong with a 445 pound bench press and over 600 pound Squat while running a legitimate 4.6 40. Man-child.

^^^

I'm pumped too about this class. I think that, top to bottom, it's the best overall group of athletes we've had in a class. A number of these guys have the potential to be very special and they will improve our depth from day one. Grobe has even mentioned a number of them that may play as true freshmen...........don't hear that from him too often.
The Laronji Vason video is impressive. Quickness, speed, cover-ability and he's a heck of a runner once he gets his hands on the ball.
Regarding Harris and a 59' shot put throw as a soph......amazing. One needs quickness and coordination in addition to strength to do this. At such a young age is even more impressive (As a former thrower, I'm very impressed)
Our other DLs along with our new OLs are going to make both of our lines much better in the coming years. I think everyone agrees that line play has been our missing link. With some great new talent along with 2 new line coaches, things are looking up.

Sounds like the Twerps are about to land Stefon Diggs tonight. I am assuming this has everything to do with the Locksley hire.

Why was it necessary for him to draw it out beyond NSD?

He's the only one in the spotlight today.
On NSD, he gets lost in the sauce

(he also may have had second thoughts about what was going on at MD)

How the hell does MD sign a 5* WR? After the year they just had. Especially when you look at the other offers this kid has...unreal.

How the hell does MD sign a 5* WR? After the year they just had. Especially when you look at the other offers this kid has...unreal.

Basically any recruiting question that starts "How the hell..." can be answered with "Eighteen year old athletes act irrationally."

Basically any recruiting question that starts "How the hell..." can be answered with "Eighteen year old athletes act irrationally."

Which begs the question: why can't 18 year old athletes irrationally choose Wake Forest? Just once? Just one Rivals 100 player?

Locksley has a contract that says he will receive $25,000 if Maryland is in the top 40 of the Rivals.com or Scout.com rankings on signing day. He also will receive $20,000 if the Terps rank among the top four teams in the ACC on signing day.

It boggles my mind that a top recruit would go to Maryland when half their team just transferred and they are looking at a multi-year rebuild for a coach the fanbase hates.

It boggles my mind that a top recruit would go to Maryland when half their team just transferred and they are looking at a multi-year rebuild for a coach the fanbase hates.

That sounds like a basketball program I know. Are we about to land a 5-star power forward?

FYI the full video of the signing day luncheon is up on WakeForestSports.com:

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/wake-m-footbl-body.html

I definitely recommend watching it if you can. Runs about 45 minutes and includes some really cool nuggets about some of the kids. Also a great way to get pumped about WF sports without having to concentrate on the dumpster fire that is Wake basketball.

Back