• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 US NEWS COLLEGE RANKINGS- ACC

You realize that one of the decision making criteria is high school councilers opinion of the school right?

I don't think any one is going to defend the ranking criteria as perfect, but do you think their opinion shouldn't factor in?

I don't think any one is going to defend the ranking criteria as perfect, but do you think their opinion shouldn't factor in?

Considering that State is ranked in the top 30, if I remember correctly, of top grossing jobs by the WSJ I think that they do need to adjust their rankings. Most of the colleges that were in the top of that list were all liberal arts colleges and not many science/engineering schools. Schools like that understandable don't get much love from people who attend liberal art colleges but I do think it's at least partially ridiculous considering I know some school counselors and I wouldn't trust them to pour pee out of a boot

Considering that State is ranked in the top 30, if I remember correctly, of top grossing jobs by the WSJ I think that they do need to adjust their rankings. Most of the colleges that were in the top of that list were all liberal arts colleges and not many science/engineering schools. Schools like that understandable don't get much love from people who attend liberal art colleges but I do think it's at least partially ridiculous considering I know some school counselors and I wouldn't trust them to pour pee out of a boot

State is mediocre academic school with a great engineering program. I've had this conversation with a couple of people from the engineering program at State, and they all seem to think similarly to yourself, that States academic reputation is unfair. Truth is, the vast majority of the top engineering programs in the nation are also at the best Universities in the nation. Stanford, Harvard, Michigan, Texas, Wisconsin, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, UCLA, Northwestern, Princeton, Penn St.

So no, I don't think Engineering programs are disregarded at all. NC State is just NC State.

Last edited:
State is mediocre academic school with a great engineering program. I've had this conversation with a couple of people from the engineering program at State, and they all seem to think similarly to yourself, that States academic reputation is unfair. Truth is, the vast majority of the top engineering programs in the nation are also at the best Universities in the nation. Stanford, Harvard, Michigan, Texas, Wisconsin, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, UCLA, Northwestern, Princeton, Penn St.

So no, I don't think Engineering programs are disregarded at all. NC State is just NC State.

You are correct, still want to point out that Georgia Tech is ranked #5. From your list, only Stanford is higher.

A girl who went to Elon and I go to law school gave me shit about talking down to UNC after we won and was like "UNC is a better school get over yourself". And I was like um that's not true, she goes "Ask anyone in the state of North Carolina which school is better between Wake and UNC and see what they say".

This was a :facepalm: convo if I've ever had one.

I just wish we were better at basketball so we could be a superior school to UNC both academically and BASKEdemically.

#BZZTFO

Not directing this specifically towards you, or commenting on NC State. That said, the rigor and difficulty of engineering cirriculums are often dismissed on the board.

You are correct, still want to point out that Georgia Tech is ranked #5. From your list, only Stanford is higher.

Yeah, GT is an elite engineering program. One of the handful of very best anywhere in the world.

I do think the USNWR list is skewed towards schools with strong liberal arts programs, and private schools and away from public engineering and technical schools. The focus on graduation rate hurts those types of schools badly. GT is never going to graduate 95% of students within 6 years, and it would be irresponsible to do so.

Interestingly, the Times Higher Education World University rankings heavily values influential technical research institutions over private liberal arts colleges, and you get a very different list. In general, I find this list is more accurate in terms of perceived prestige globally (i.e - somewhere like Washington St. Louis is virtually unknown outside the USA, whereas the major research institutions are much more influential).

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

1 California Institute of Technology United States
2 Harvard University United States
2 Stanford University United States
4 University of Oxford United Kingdom
5 Princeton University United States
6 University of Cambridge United Kingdom
7 Massachusetts Institute of Technology United States
8 Imperial College London United Kingdom
9 University of Chicago United States
10 University of California Berkeley United States
11 Yale University United States
12 Columbia University United States
13 University of California Los Angeles United States
14 Johns Hopkins University United States
15 ETH Zürich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich Switzerland
16 University of Pennsylvania United States
17 University College London United Kingdom
18 University of Michigan United States
19 University of Toronto Canada
20 Cornell University United States
21 Carnegie Mellon University United States
22 University of British Columbia Canada
22 Duke University United States
24 Georgia Institute of Technology United States
25 University of Washington United States

Yeah, GT is an elite engineering program. One of the handful of very best anywhere in the world.

I do think the USNWR list is skewed towards schools with strong liberal arts programs, and private schools and away from public engineering and technical schools. The focus on graduation rate hurts those types of schools badly. GT is never going to graduate 95% of students within 6 years, and it would be irresponsible to do so.

Interestingly, the Times Higher Education World University rankings heavily values influential technical research institutions over private liberal arts colleges, and you get a very different list. In general, I find this list is more accurate in terms of perceived prestige globally (i.e - somewhere like Washington St. Louis is virtually unknown outside the USA, whereas the major research institutions are much more influential).

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

1 California Institute of Technology United States
2 Harvard University United States
2 Stanford University United States
4 University of Oxford United Kingdom
5 Princeton University United States
6 University of Cambridge United Kingdom
7 Massachusetts Institute of Technology United States
8 Imperial College London United Kingdom
9 University of Chicago United States
10 University of California Berkeley United States
11 Yale University United States
12 Columbia University United States
13 University of California Los Angeles United States
14 Johns Hopkins University United States
15 ETH Zürich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich Switzerland
16 University of Pennsylvania United States
17 University College London United Kingdom
18 University of Michigan United States
19 University of Toronto Canada
20 Cornell University United States
21 Carnegie Mellon University United States
22 University of British Columbia Canada
22 Duke University United States
24 Georgia Institute of Technology United States
25 University of Washington United States

Now THAT'S a list! Go GT!

Penn St? Is that in Philadelphia? /sarcasm

They do have a good engineering program, don't know if they belong with those other schools you mentioned.

The funny thing is that outside of Stanford he didn't list a single one of the other top 5 engineering programs.

M.I.T, Stanford, Cal Berkley, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech ... that's your top 5 according to USNWR, and that generally fits with the industry impression and prestige. After that you fall off into your Texas, Michigan, Illinois range of big state broad based state schools with strong engineering programs.

Back