• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 US NEWS COLLEGE RANKINGS- ACC

The only people I ever hear putting Georgia Tech in the MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech world are Georgia Tech alums

The only people I ever hear putting Georgia Tech in the MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech world are Georgia Tech alums

You don't work as an engineer, that's why. Inside the engineering community (as reflected by every ranking of engineering schools you can find anywhere in the world) GT is considered extremely elite. There's a number of programs at GT that are the best in the world (IySE - Industrial and Systems Engineering for example, where GT's program basically laps everyone's else's ... in the 24 years that USNWR has ranked programs, it's been #1 23 times).

GT does not have the breadth of quality programs in other fields that MIT or Stanford have, and is not in the same class of university in those terms.

Yeah one of these things is not like the other. Not by a long shot.

Yeah one of these things is not like the other. Not by a long shot.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/engineering-and-IT.html

/shrug - I guess I'll take the word of a bunch of liberal arts and business guys from a small private LA school to tell me what the engineering community thinks of various specialized programs.

I am a liberal artist. You most definitely get the most well-rounded education that way. I can't balance my checkbook worth shit, but I can read Latin.

I am a liberal artist. You most definitely get the most well-rounded education that way. I can't balance my checkbook worth shit, but I can read Latin.

I could read Latin well by the 10th grade - gg old school Catholic curriculum. I got my liberal arts education the old fashioned way, by going to the library and reading ... cost me a few bucks in late fees :p

Seriously though, there's value in a number of areas of university study. I really don't know much about the various qualities of different LA schools - I don't work in those areas. And I don't expect you to understand the values of various engineering programs inside that industry.

Last edited:
/shrug indeed. It's astonishing that anyone could take seriously any ranking that puts GT in the same strata as Cal Tech or MIT, let alone above one of them. Here's the fact - GT: school that I, and probably 95% of grads here on the Wake board would have little problem attending. MIT/CalTech - schools that, speaking for myself at least, wouldn't have given me a second look.

As for my engineering cred, or lack thereof, did you know that in the working world the two not only meet, but can work together? I won't go into the details, but I've spent the last 20 years working with and managing engineers. I hear the same thing from the RPI and WPI guys "we're just as good as MIT!" Sure you are, Sparky, sure you are. Out of scores of various rankings out there, I'm sure someone could find something that ranks RPI near the top. Actually, first one I hit did http://www.businessinsider.com/the-worlds-best-engineering-schools-2012-6?op=1

i'm surprised hopkins' engineering program isnt thought of higher. i kind of just assumed it was.

/shrug indeed. It's astonishing that anyone could take seriously any ranking that puts GT in the same strata as Cal Tech or MIT, let alone above one of them. Here's the fact - GT: school that I, and probably 95% of grads here on the Wake board would have little problem attending. MIT/CalTech - schools that, speaking for myself at least, wouldn't have given me a second look.

And 95% of the grads on this board wouldn't have lasted 2 years in the Engineering departments. GT is a public school, and is thus less selective than the private ones. But since it's brutally difficult and demanding in the engineering programs, the drop out rate is quite high. The chaff gets out in a hurry. Look, I'm not grabbing some business insider list - USNWR and Times Higher Education are the two most respected ranking bodies in the world. Look at the peer revue sections of each if you want in addition to the rankings - GT's engineering programs are extremely, extremely highly regarded.

The difference in places like RPI and WPI (which are very, very strong undergraduate engineering programs) and the MIT/Stanford/Cal Tech/Georgia Tech tier is the massive (and very wealthy) research arms that make the graduate and PHd programs so good. They are basically huge advanced scientific firms attached to schools.

FWIW - I was accepted at MIT and RPI (only two other engineering only schools I applied to). I picked GT because they had the highest ranked program in the field I wanted, had a great overseas study program in the part of the world I wanted to go to, and because I wanted sports. Never regretted that decision for a second.

Last edited:
And 95% of the grads on this board wouldn't have lasted 2 years in the Engineering departments. GT is a public school, and is thus less selective than the private ones. But since it's brutally difficult and demanding in the engineering programs, the drop out rate is quite high. The chaff gets out in a hurry. Look, I'm not grabbing some business insider list - USNWR and Times Higher Education are the two most respected ranking bodies in the world. Look at the peer revue sections of each if you want in addition to the rankings - GT's engineering programs are extremely, extremely highly regarded.

The difference in places like RPI and WPI (which are very, very strong undergraduate engineering programs) and the MIT/Stanford/Cal Tech/Georgia Tech tier is the massive (and very wealthy) research arms that make the graduate and PHd programs so good. They are basically huge advanced scientific firms attached to schools.

oh come now.

oh come now.

So let it be written, so let it be done. Vadimivich has spoken, 95% of us could not have made it at GT, that's all I need to know. I'm hoping to hear more about why s/he chose GT.

Last edited:
oh come now.

GT has less than a 50% 6 year graduation rate for freshman entering engineering ... and that's for people that come in with strong math skills and want to be engineers. For your average liberal arts / business major? No way they'd stay in those programs. It's withering. GT is one of the cruelest schools to young engineers because it has to be less selective in admissions as it's a public school.

There's a reason that switching to Management from Engineering is such a widespread phenomenom that it has it's own description on campus - "Riding the M Train".

i'm surprised hopkins' engineering program isnt thought of higher. i kind of just assumed it was.

FWIW - my impression is that Hopkins bio-engineering program is thought of extraordinarily highly, but not the rest of the engineering programs. Much like Maryland's aerospace program.

GT has less than a 50% 6 year graduation rate for freshman entering engineering ... and that's for people that come in with strong math skills and want to be engineers. For your average liberal arts / business major? No way they'd stay in those programs. It's withering. GT is one of the cruelest schools to young engineers because it has to be less selective in admissions as it's a public school.

There's a reason that switching to Management from Engineering is such a widespread phenomenom that it has it's own description on campus - "Riding the M Train".

dude. this si absurd. most of the business folks are finance or other strongly math programs. i was ecn. we have math econ. some of us (hell maybe most) might not hack it, but saying 95% couldnt is insane. i am positive if i could make it through wake i could make it through gt. it would have played much more to my strengths. i imagine there are plenty others. just because you thought you wanted to be an engineer in hs doesnt mean you are more apt for it then people with good math/science skills that werent drawn to it. looking back, i would have loved engineering, but i thought i wanted to be an english major (lol lol lol).

About as absurd as DeacHead's continued bashing of GT's programs despite every factual reference completely refuting him.

The real truth is that if you have good study habits and and willing to work hard, you can get through any undergraduate program. You don't really have to be "that" smart to graduate from anywhere with a bachelors. Engineering programs tend to wash people out more because there's "easier" options and people look at them go "why am I working this hard when I don't have to graduate".

There are a lot of Chinese people at GT. I can't compete with that.

"Bashing"? It must "that time of the month" based on your overreaction to a typo (a typo... on the Internet! egads) and you thinking I'm "bashing" GT.

What I said: Georgia Tech is not on the same tier as the truly elite programs such as Cal Tech and MIT. If that's bashing, then I'd suggest some liberal arts study to learn nuance and, well, word definitions.

Calloway is probably twenty times harder than any GT engineering program

Back