• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

94, I don't think anybody has written off Washington. We wonder why he gets reps and attempts over Lewis or why Wade isn't moved to the outside. I feel like the coaches set him up to fail by playing him a lot before he's obviously ready.

You haven't written him off. There were plenty of posts in game threads torching him, however.

I think he will end up being a very good player year after next.

You haven't written him off. There were plenty of posts in game threads torching him, however.

I think he will end up being a very good player year after next.

Agree.
Like 94 said above, we need patience and need to give these guys time to develop.
Too many folks on this board have unrealistic expectations. Very rare for a HS player to make a big impact right away.
It happens, but more with the elite 4-5 star players that we don't have.

I'm not going to go as far as saying that Gilbert = Layne. Layne is obviously drawing a lot of P5 attention at the moment. But I am excited about Gilbert and completely think he is worth a scholarship. He's a legit 6'0. Combine was less than ideal, but fine. Good enough that I think he can stick at corner. His South Carolina offer was based on a camp performance, not just his tape. I like that. First-team all-state in Alabama for Class 7A (the largest classification). 5 INTs last season plus 55 tackles, including 4 for loss. I read that teams didn't throw his way very much. Also scored 4 times as a receiver. But a lot of my reason for being excited was his performance at the Alabama-Mississippi all-star game. Not just the game but the practice week. He got some really good reviews. At least one writer was up in arms about why he didn't have a more stacked offer sheet. I'm actually concerned that Wake's offer might draw enough attention to Gilbert that he might draw more offers late (which I'm now referring to as "getting Shenkered"). I'm really hoping to land him if we don't get Layne (and it's looking like Layne is headed to Indiana).

ETA: Gilbert is a late target for Lane Kiffen.

Great analysis, as always. Thanks again for consistently bringing it.

Agree.
Like 94 said above, we need patience and need to give these guys time to develop.
Too many folks on this board have unrealistic expectations. Very rare for a HS player to make a big impact right away.
It happens, but more with the elite 4-5 star players that we don't have.

But that's the thing. Clawson has the unrealistic expectations and we are critical of that. I just don't see the angle you all are coming from. People aren't saying Washington will never contribute. People are wondering why he is getting so many reps and why we don't move Wade outside.

I'll dread reading the puns when Clapp commits. "We have the Clapp" "Let's give Clapp a round of applause." "Clapp on, Clapp off the Clapper." "This Clapp can kick Penicillin's ass."

If he committed during the Grobe regime, I would do a Golf Clapp.

I'm not going to go as far as saying that Gilbert = Layne. Layne is obviously drawing a lot of P5 attention at the moment. But I am excited about Gilbert and completely think he is worth a scholarship. He's a legit 6'0. Combine was less than ideal, but fine. Good enough that I think he can stick at corner. His South Carolina offer was based on a camp performance, not just his tape. I like that. First-team all-state in Alabama for Class 7A (the largest classification). 5 INTs last season plus 55 tackles, including 4 for loss. I read that teams didn't throw his way very much. Also scored 4 times as a receiver. But a lot of my reason for being excited was his performance at the Alabama-Mississippi all-star game. Not just the game but the practice week. He got some really good reviews. At least one writer was up in arms about why he didn't have a more stacked offer sheet. I'm actually concerned that Wake's offer might draw enough attention to Gilbert that he might draw more offers late (which I'm now referring to as "getting Shenkered"). I'm really hoping to land him if we don't get Layne (and it's looking like Layne is headed to Indiana).

ETA: Gilbert is a late target for Lane Kiffen.

Send him the article about Kiffen pulling the kids scholarship offer and not even talking to the kid. You want to play for a guy like that?

It was okay. not like it was a coming out party or anything.

Right. Washington played in 11 regular season games and had 5 catches for 58 yards. He had 5 catches for 57 yards vs. Temple. He was 8th on the team in receptions.

Send him the article about Kiffen pulling the kids scholarship offer and not even talking to the kid. You want to play for a guy like that?

Honestly, would a kid rather play in the ACC (big time games against Clemson, FSU, Louisville, etc.) every year or FAU? I don't even know what conference they are in. That seems like a no-brainer and that's before you get to the education aspect.

What I really like about Waydale is that he uses his hands to catch the ball away from his body, so he truly plays like a tall receiver. He also seems to be able to go up over defenders to get the ball. I get that this is against HS competition, but it does seem like the raw skills are there.

We had a tall receiver this year who did not run good routes, who did not have good hands and who apparently did not want to take hits.

Hopefully he improves...substantially.

Have to consider that Kiffen will be gone as soon as he has rebuilt his reputation if he has success- he stays only if he is a bust. Something to consider if you are a recruit.

94, I don't think anybody has written off Washington. We wonder why he gets reps and attempts over Lewis or why Wade isn't moved to the outside. I feel like the coaches set him up to fail by playing him a lot before he's obviously ready.

We can't play anymore with #17 at wideout. Period.

Agreed that it's too soon to write off Bachman, but do you think he'll ever be an above average X receiver? It seems like he'd be a much better fit in the slot to me.

The coaches definitely know more than I do, but I do think he'd be better suited for the slot. He's sure handed and runs good routes but is not especially big, strong, or fast. Our coaches probably really like what he has to offer and put him on the outside because the slot is clogged up with Hines and Wade both being very good receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There does seem to be some inflexibility in getting the best playmakers on the field due to positional rigidity at WR, though I'm sure there is a rationale for it.

Back