• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

Yeah. The efficiency of it all works for me. I'm an social, outgoing guy, but I'm exhausted at the end of a workout. We used to have a coach who was real flirty and super nice and I was just too tired to respond.

I'll chat with friends when I see them, but I'm usually trying to just get on with my day. I've definitely met some nice people and I'll see them around town or in the neighborhood and maybe say hey, but it's not a thing. It's a community without being a cult. It's comfortable enough for someone to walk in for the first time and feel welcome but not overwhelmed.

These are my reasons as well, although I am not nearly as much of a badass as Willis.

A good number of my closest friends are all into F3, but it is annoying to go out to the bar with them and their F3 buddies. I want to hang out with David and Mike, not Slapbag and Crunchberries.

I get the combination of pseudo-military/college fraternity vibe of it. I've done that, and don't really need anymore.

I don't think it is bad, but it is just not for me.

This cracked me up. Happens to me all the time. I went to an event recently and they were all in the corner recanting their pushups and such. Almost as good as us cyclists turning every conversation to our sport :)

This cracked me up. Happens to me all the time. I went to an event recently and they were all in the corner recanting their pushups and such. Almost as good as us cyclists turning every conversation to our sport :)

There is an F3 guy in Raleigh who is an ortho surgeon who works on hands. His F3 name is Western Stranger.

Has anyone else tried Camp Gladiator? It is a group workout concept where the workouts are all outside (local parks, parking lots, etc.) and they are offered in various locations around town at all different times of the day. I started last month and am enjoying it so far. The workouts vary by week and provide a good workout. The demographics are really varied but tend to younger. I think it started in Austin (Brasky?) and is now in 9 or 10 cities... I only do it 2-3 times a week because I am also running, swimming and biking, trying to get ready for a tri...

Has anyone else tried Camp Gladiator? It is a group workout concept where the workouts are all outside (local parks, parking lots, etc.) and they are offered in various locations around town at all different times of the day. I started last month and am enjoying it so far. The workouts vary by week and provide a good workout. The demographics are really varied but tend to younger. I think it started in Austin (Brasky?) and is now in 9 or 10 cities... I only do it 2-3 times a week because I am also running, swimming and biking, trying to get ready for a tri...

There is one in our parking lot on Wednesday afternoons. They seem to get after it pretty well. I think you are right on the demo.

Monday: F3 bootcamp - DONE
Tuesday: F3 strength & core - DONE
Wednesday: rest day
Thursday: F3 bootcamp - DONE
Friday: F3 5k training - DONE ~ 14 minute mile this AM #slowhole
Saturday: F3 bootcamp

Getting it done!

5. F3 is men only, so no girls. There is a women's equivalent group, however. As I indicated above, there are plenty of guys who are fast and otherwise pretty bad-ass, you probably were just involved in a workout where speed was not the focus.

I gotta admit one more thing: I think dude-only workouts are super weird. Competition/races/bathrooms... sure. But I know tons of chicks who are awesome to work with. Why would I want to exclude them from doing push-ups near me?

I gotta admit one more thing: I think dude-only workouts are super weird. Competition/races/bathrooms... sure. But I know tons of chicks who are awesome to work with. Why would I want to exclude them from doing push-ups near me?

For real. Some of the best athletes in my normal class are the women.

They gave a presentation at a school faculty last year in Austin and the guys running the local camp came off as total D's so I didn't give it a thought. I think that 2 or 3 mid-aged female teachers got into though. The two I know swore by it and lost some decent lbs (according to them, I would never ask or imply)

For real. Some of the best athletes in my normal class are the women.

This. There are two 50+ year old women who are regulars and absolutely kill it.

Week 37 Update:

Monday: 5 PM CrossFit
Tuesday: 5 PM CrossFit
Wednesday: 5 PM CrossFit
Thursday: 5 PM CrossFit
Friday: 5 PM CrossFit
Saturday: 10 AM CrossFit

Monday: F3 Bootcamp - Done
Tuesday: F3 Strength & Core - Done
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: EC ~ 1.5 mile run and F3 Bootcamp - Done
Friday: F3 Run ~ 2.5 miles
Saturday: Possibly an F3 Run ~ 3 to 5 miles
Sunday: F3 Nomad Run ~ 2 to 3 miles

They gave a presentation at a school faculty last year in Austin and the guys running the local camp came off as total D's so I didn't give it a thought. I think that 2 or 3 mid-aged female teachers got into though. The two I know swore by it and lost some decent lbs (according to them, I would never ask or imply)

This just shows that for any group-type exercise program to be attractive, the instructors are key - if you don't like their vibe or the way they run the class, you won't join or continue. The first couple of Gladiator classes I went to the instructor seemed cool and ran a very hard but very organized and efficient class. It made me want to come back. He does a good job reaching out afterward and checking up on you without being obtrusive or creepy. I have tried classes with probably 6 different instructors and have really enjoyed all but one - maybe two. They weren't terrible, just less efficient, less organized, more awkward.

And it cracks me up when people tout the class they are attending because they have lost weight or gotten in better shape or whatever. No shit. If you go from not working out to working out regularly, and pretty hard as instructor-led classes tend to drive you to do, you will lose weight and get in better shape. It doesn't really matter which flavor of class you choose.

I swam back and forth in a 25 yard pool today for 1 hour. Not fun but I feel good that I could do it.

There really isn't a group such that each location is separate and insulated from the other. In Winston-Salem, there are at least two, and in some cases three or four, workouts in separate locations each day. Each location/workout has a different general theme/concept. A lot depends on what you want out of your 45 minutes/1 hour -- distance running vs. sprints vs. strength/core, etc. A lot of folks mix and match, distance running on one day followed by a strength/core workout the next in which you may not travel very far, but you do a bazillion pushups of all kinds, pull-ups, squats, etc. Each workout is run by a F3 member who endeavors to be creative, so no two workouts are ever alike.

On Saturdays, I either hit Purgatory at Speas Elementary or Impossible Situation at Hanes Park. Dawg Pound at Tanglewood is generally a distance running workout, broken up with some Tabata.

Given your location in Clemmons, you might also consider Parliament (strength and core) on Tuesdays at Southwest Elementary and/or Bells and Whistles (kettlebells and sprints) at Reagan High School on Wednesdays.

This Saturday is the 3-year anniversary of F3 in Winston-Salem, so everyone will be converging at Impossible Situation at Hanes Park on Saturday morning.

PM me if you have any questions.

Appreciate the info! Right now, my schedule will really only allow for Saturday morning. I get up at 5:00 AM during the week as it is now so I can be at work in Jamestown by 7:30 AM, I don't really have time to hit a weekday morning session. My plan is to learn some exercises that I can do at home in the evenings during the week and continue going to Saturday sessions.

Crazy to look back at this thread! My plan was to go on Saturday's and workout during the work week at home. I'm going 4 to 5 times a week now and started Thursday and Friday F3 workouts in Clemmons.

4.8 mile jog/walk yesterday. F3 bootcamp this AM. Planning to hit my usual F3 workouts the rest of the week (Tue, Thurs, Fri). No workout Saturday since the youngest has a double header soccer game. May try to get jog in that afternoon or Sunday.

Came off a week of vacation to Q an F3 workout. There is a brutal hill about half a mile away from the workout. We go to the drainage ditch and temporarily re-purpose rocks for the workout and then return them at the end of the session.

Today that involved toting your rock of choice to four stations on the course, one at the top of the descending hill, a second at the base, a third at the base of the ascending hill, and a fourth a final at the top of the ascending hill, stopping each time for two sets of rock-exercises (curls, squat-presses, overhead tricep extensions and bent-over rows). The Fourth station becomes the Fifth station as you reverse the course (and the ascending became the descending hill, and vice versa), until you get back to the beginning. We broke it up with ab-work using rocks at after the Fourth and Eighth stations.

We finished with a hand-stand endurance contest (BTTW to the kids in the know), with the winner lasting about 3.5 minutes.

Back