• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Workout/Weightloss Accountability Thread

Oh it was a few things, probably in this order:

1- I am already working out 10+ hours per week (cycling-based workouts) and this isn't fun or productive enough to replace any of those hours. 10 ish is the max I can handle with a job and family, so no F3.
2- I am sure every town has its own culture, but frankly the one I went to was a bit... boot camp. Everyone counting off the reps out loud, going for runs in the woods with a backpack, etc. External motivation isn't my thing.
3- It seemed like a little cult. Everyone got a cute little nickname, etc. I have my own two exercise cults already (MTB and road cycling teams), no room for a third.
4- I am not looking for any additional Jesus in my workouts.
5- I enjoy working out with guys and girls who are fast.

All this said, I have lots of actual friends who enjoy F3. Good on you all. I think it's a great workout for folks who aren't dedicated to any specific activity and want to be able to do lots of reps of body weight exercises.

Thanks. That's helpful and echoes the experiences I've heard from some others.

I cut out beer and started lifting more. Gained three pounds.

Dropped 10 lbs in 10 days on a low carb/ketosis diet. Have been hitting up the neighborhood Orange Theory Fitness 4-5 days for the last two months and have also added an additional 5 or so lbs of muscle. Would like to drop another 5 or 10, but obviously won't be doing so at the same pace.

Thanks. That's helpful and echoes the experiences I've heard from some others.

It's not for everyone. I like the accountability of F3 and need it. Echoing what 19deac92 said, I've met some great people and enjoy working out with them.

Dropped 10 lbs in 10 days on a low carb/ketosis diet. Have been hitting up the neighborhood Orange Theory Fitness 4-5 days for the last two months and have also added an additional 5 or so lbs of muscle. Would like to drop another 5 or 10, but obviously won't be doing so at the same pace.

Welcome to orangetheory. Been doing it for almost 5 years.

1- I am already working out 10+ hours per week (cycling-based workouts) and this isn't fun or productive enough to replace any of those hours. 10 ish is the max I can handle with a job and family, so no F3.
2- I am sure every town has its own culture, but frankly the one I went to was a bit... boot camp. Everyone counting off the reps out loud, going for runs in the woods with a backpack, etc. External motivation isn't my thing.
3- It seemed like a little cult. Everyone got a cute little nickname, etc. I have my own two exercise cults already (MTB and road cycling teams), no room for a third.

All this said, I have lots of actual friends who enjoy F3. Good on you all. I think it's a great workout for folks who aren't dedicated to any specific activity and want to be able to do lots of reps of body weight exercises.

Thank you for your time spent answering my question. I appreciate that very much. That was 5-10 minutes of your time that you could have used for something else and I do not take it for granted.

I also appreciate and completely respect your thoughtful response and the reasons that you provide. Based on your responses, it sounds like F3 and you are not a good match. On the other hand, it is a perfect match for me. Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world go 'round. I would respectfully offer my thoughts regarding some of the points that you made:

1. It sounds like your cup runneth over with respect to exercise and that you have no room for anything more. By the end of the workday and the typical follow-on family and civic activities, I am usually too wiped out to exercise with much enthusiasm. Consequently, the 0530-0615 M-F workout time for F3 is perfect for my schedule.

2. The F3 workout that you went to might have seemed boot camp-like because it is very likely that it was intended to be that way. Every day/location has a different focus, and most larger cities (Winston included) have 2 or 3 different workouts going on each day in different locations, each focused on something different. For instance, yesterday I attended an F3 workout centered on kettlebells and sprints (entitled "Bells & Whistles"). We did 3 minutes of kettlebell exercises, tabata style with a timer, followed by a quarter mile sprint, repeated over the course of 45 minutes. This morning, I led a boot camp style workout focused on strength/muscle endurance, primarily utilizing sandbags filled with rocks along with a series of wall sits, in addition to other things. However, we also managed to run about 1.5 miles during the course of a "non-running" workout. Tomorrow's workout (for me anyway) is distance running via ability groups. The faster dudes usually get in 6-7 miles in 45 minutes, while slower, older punks like me manage a little over 4 miles. I personally like/need external motivation. In order to push myself, I try to keep up with/pass the guy who is faster/stronger than me, or stay ahead of that guy trying to do the same to me. I run farther & faster and lift more/do more reps in a group setting than I otherwise would working out alone or with just 1 partner.

3. I fully concede that F3 is a little cultish, albeit a very benevolent one.

4. F3 is indeed a faith based organization --- "Fitness, Fellowship & Faith." However, it is non-denominational and does not proselytize. At the end of every workout we (at least in Winston) gather close while one of us takes us out with a prayer and thanksgiving. That is pretty much the extent of the "Jesus" influence. If that is not part of your personal beliefs or otherwise makes you uncomfortable, I totally understand. But for me, that final 2 minutes or so of spiritual bonding with guys with whom I just finished exercising makes a world of difference from just getting in the car and driving off. Again, I understand that may be a dealbreaker for some.

5. F3 is men only, so no girls. There is a women's equivalent group, however. As I indicated above, there are plenty of guys who are fast and otherwise pretty bad-ass, you probably were just involved in a workout where speed was not the focus.

In sum, I totally understand why F3 might not be for you, and I appreciate your at least giving it a shot. Take care and have a good one.

Last edited:

I've started this:

http://www.mensfitnessmagazine.com.au/2013/07/intermittent-fasting/

Have a friend that does it and he's had good results. I'm doing low carb/ketosis also.

Thank you for your time spent answering my question. I appreciate that very much. That was 5-10 minutes of your time that you could have used for something else and I do not take it for granted.

I also appreciate and completely respect your thoughtful response and the reasons that you provide. Based on your responses, it sounds like F3 and you are not a good match. On the other hand, it is a perfect match for me. Different strokes for different strokes. That's what makes the world go 'round. I would respectfully offer my thoughts regarding some of the points that you made:

1. It sounds like your cup runneth over with respect to exercise and that you have no room for anything more. By the end of the workday and the typical follow-on family and civic activities, I am usually too wiped out to exercise with much enthusiasm. Consequently, the 0530-0615 M-F workout time for F3 is perfect for my schedule.

2. The F3 workout that you went to might have seemed boot camp-like because it is very likely that it was intended to be that way. Every day/location has a different focus, and most larger cities (Winston included), have 2 or 3 different workouts going on each day in different locations, each focused on something different . For instance, yesterday I attended an F3 workout centered on kettlebells and sprints (entitled "Bells & Whistles"). We did 3 minutes of kettlebell exercises, tabata style, followed by a quarter mile sprint, repeated over the course of 45 minutes. This morning, I led a boot camp style workout focused on strength/muscle endurance, primarily utilizing sandbags filled with rocks and a series of wall sits, among other things. However, we also managed to run about 1.5 miles during the course of a "non-running" workout. Tomorrow's workout (for me anyway) is distance running via ability groups. The faster dudes usually get in 6-7 miles in 45 minutes, while slower, older punks like me manage a little over 4 miles. I personally like/need external motivation. In order to push myself, I try to keep up with/pass the guy who is faster/stronger than me, or stay ahead of that guy trying to do the same to me. I run farther & faster and lift more/do more reps in a group setting than I otherwise would working out alone or with just 1 partner.

3. I fully concede that F3 is a little cultish, albeit a very benevolent one.

4. F3 is indeed a faith based organization --- "Fitness, Fellowship & Faith." However, it is non-denominational and does not proselytize. At the end of every workout we (at least in Winston), gather close while one of us takes us out with a prayer and thanksgiving. That is pretty much the extent of the "Jesus" influence. If that is not part of your personal beliefs or otherwise makes you uncomfortable, I totally understand. But for me, that final 2 minutes or so of spiritual bonding with guys with whom I just finished exercising makes a world of difference from just getting in the car and driving off. Again, I understand that may be a dealbreaker for some.

5. F3 is men only, so no girls. There is a women's equivalent group, however. As I indicated above, there are plenty of guys who are fast and otherwise pretty bad-ass, you probably were just involved in a workout where speed was not the focus.

In sum, I totally understand why F3 might not be for you, and I appreciate your at least giving it a shot. Take care and have a good one.

Aye! Well said Sarge!

F3 is good for accountability for me. Somewhere in my town, there are different groups of guys (truly, a choice for whatever I want to do) my age trying to get a little faster, stronger and leaner. Every day of the year. For free. First thing in the morning, before the excuses are out of bed.

If I don't work out, it's my fault.

Oh no my transformation into a #semiold is real

The first step is into microold. I'm talking earlier bed times, eating less and dropping participation in team sports entirely. You replace maxing out on free weights with maxing your retirement deferral. You don't really know it's happening until you look around in the gym and you think everyone else looks like a dork. Not seeing the end of West Coast games is replaced with not seeing the start of West Coast games, which eventually gives way to not seeing the end of East Coast games.

Last edited:

These are my reasons as well, although I am not nearly as much of a badass as Willis.

A good number of my closest friends are all into F3, but it is annoying to go out to the bar with them and their F3 buddies. I want to hang out with David and Mike, not Slapbag and Crunchberries.

I get the combination of pseudo-military/college fraternity vibe of it. I've done that, and don't really need anymore.

I don't think it is bad, but it is just not for me.

Oh no my transformation into a #semiold is real

I'm sure every OTF is different, but the ones I've been to definitely cater to the 35-50 set. There are a few regulars I can think of who are in their 20s, but not many. Welcome to the club, old timer.

These are my reasons as well, although I am not nearly as much of a badass as Willis.

A good number of my closest friends are all into F3, but it is annoying to go out to the bar with them and their F3 buddies. I want to hang out with David and Mike, not Slapbag and Crunchberries.

I get the combination of pseudo-military/college fraternity vibe of it. I've done that, and don't really need anymore.

I laughed at this.

Your friends F3 buddies probably only know them by their F3 name. Digging the names though!

Your friends F3 buddies probably only know them by their F3 name. Digging the names though!

I have definitely been in real world situations and thought, crap, what is that guy's actual name? There actually is an upside, though. When someone approaches you out of context, it's easier to place how you know them on short notice when they call you by your F3 (or Y-Guides name).

Last edited:
You're going to find a "cultish" feel with any flavor of group workout. You even see it within different areas of globo gyms. F3, CrossFit, Orangetheory, Iron Tribe, you name it, have some quirk or peculiarity that separates that fitness community from others. At the end of the day, it's a good thing if it works for you. They all seem to empower people in different ways and keep others accountable. They all certainly have different methodologies and, possibly, different definitions of fitness (a very nebulous term) but, at the end of the day, they all promote a long-term, healthy lifestyle. Good on you guys for finding your niche. Keep up the good work.

Orangetheory doesn't have a cultish vibe, at least not the ones I've been to. People are definitely loyal to OTF. So it's cultish in that respect, but not beyond that.

Have you ever been to one?

Some people know each other and are friends. People don't really hang out. People are in and out to get on with their day. The ones I've been to are relatively diverse. It's probably 60-70% women overall. Some of the Muslim women regulars wear hijab. There's no real rah-rah atmosphere. There are occasional partner sets in which one is on the treads and the other is on the rower. It's a group workout, but only in that a coach is telling a group of people what to do. There are happy hours and events every two or three months, but no real effort to cement friendships aside from active coaches on Facebook.

It's definitely not how you all describe Cross Fit, F3, or others.

Last edited:
Orangetheory doesn't have a cultish vibe, at least not the ones I've been to. People are definitely loyal to OTF. So it's cultish in that respect, but not beyond that.

Some people know each other and are friends. People don't really hang out. People are in and out to get on with their day. The ones I've been to are relatively diverse. It's probably 60-70% women overall. Some of the Muslim women regulars wear hijab. There's no real rah-rah atmosphere. There are occasional partner sets in which one is on the treads and the other is on the rower. It's a group workout, but only in that a coach is telling a group of people what to do. There are happy hours and events every two or three months, but no real effort to cement friendships aside from active coaches on Facebook.

I've been to one of the locations in Charlotte a couple of times with a girl I used to see for a bit. I definitely got the community, "cultish" vibe, but my definition of that may be, and probably is, different than yours. I also don't see it as a negative or something that needs defending at all. My neighbor is huge into it. Her car has the splat thing on the rear window. It's a good workout, but not my thing. What matters is it works for you.

This is very similar to my current experience at OTF. Yeah the coaches have their regulars, and some people know each other, but its nothing like the three crossfitish gyms I've visited or joined. No one is hanging out afterwords to stream the Crossfit Games and talk proper bar technique. Which is totally cool if that's your thing, but it wasn't for me.

Back