• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Losses matter, regardless of when they take place. Conference championships matter, probably more.

Georgia's computer rankings: 3, 3, 3 (S&P, Sagarin, Massey); Average: 3
Notre Dame's computer rankings: 6, 7, 4; Average: 5.6
Oklahoma computer rankings: 4, 6, 5; Average: 5
Ohio State computer rankings: 8, 4, 6; Average: 6
(For fun) UCF computer rankings: 7, 18, 8; Average: 11 (although the 18 seems to be an outlier compared to most other sources, cpu or human)

I tend to agree with Biff that even with a close loss Georgia should still be in the playoffs.

Georgia could be in a worse position. They get to play 'bama in a spot where even if 'bama loses 'bama's season is probably not on the line. And I'm not sure how the playoffs will fall out exactly but there's at least a good chance they wouldn't have to turn around and play 'bama again right away -- perhaps even could force Clemson and 'bama to play in the semis.

There are more negatives than positives than how this works out for UGa, but there are still some positives as well

I was a little worried that Saturday wouldn’t be fully enjoyable because I might not get to see crying Georgia fans since they knew they had no chance anyway and had already accepted their fate. Biff’s helping me get more excited.

I’m torn.

I know the mandate for the playoff is to just pick the 4 best teams.

But I feel like whoever loses the SEC Championship should just be out. Like a de facto playoff game. If there is any debate about which teams should be in the playoff, why include a team that just lost a neutral site game to one of the other participants?

But then I think about sports as a whole. I’d argue it’s not unusual for the best team to fail to win the championship in most sports. A lot of playoffs are kind of a crapshoot. So just pick the 4 best when looking at the each full season resume.

I guess I’m saying I don’t care.

I just want Ohio State to lose and Georgia to get smoked because I hate them both.

Notre Dame gets in because they don’t have to risk losing a championship game.

ND has two wins against the PAC 12 this year and neither of them was against those two awful teams competing for the conference championship last night.

Georgia and Alabama should be in on Sunday, win or lose on Saturday, based on the committee's current rankings. No excuses.

No.

A win over Texas (in Austin) to avenge your only loss of the season (which was by 3 points) > a loss to Alabama (in Atlanta), which would be your second of the season.

If Oklahoma loses and Ohio State wins a nail-biter, you have a better argument, but I still think Ohio State should go. A 29 point loss to Purdue isn’t that much worse than a 20 point loss to LSU.

No.

A win over Texas (in Austin) to avenge your only loss of the season (which was by 3 points) > a loss to Alabama (in Atlanta), which would be your second of the season.

If Oklahoma loses and Ohio State wins a nail-biter, you have a better argument, but I still think Ohio State should go. A 29 point loss to Purdue isn’t that much worse than a 20 point loss to LSU.

This is a laughably bad take. LSU is #10 in the CFP rankings. Purdue is a .500 team playing in the shitty ass Big 10 west - a division that North-fucking-western won.

Back