• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

The Trump campaign has stopped running ads in Michigan, per reports today. Of course they aren't admitting this is a white flag, but I think it is. Assuming Michigan does in fact fall to Biden, Trump must win ALL of the following: Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, and Texas. That would get Trump to 278.

I'm bullish on Texas and I have been for a while. I think Biden can win the state. But, I also don't want to put any faith in it happening. Georgia being considered a battleground state is a terrible sign for the GOP, but Biden won't win. So that leaves Ohio, PA, NC, FL, and AZ as the states we can expect to decide this election. And if Michigan is really off the table, Trump must win ALL of them, which gives him 278 electoral votes to Biden's 258.

I've been paying close attention to AZ, not only for the presidential election but because replacing McSally with Kelly in the Senate is a huge win. Biden wins AZ, and Kelly wins by a larger margin. Welcome to the new Colorado. Now, the best Trump can do is tie with 269 electoral votes each.

The polling in the rest of the four states is incredibly strong for Biden. I expect the Dems to be throwing all they have into FL, PA, and NC, followed by Ohio. The senate race in NC is too valuable not to, and any one of those states should seal the election for Biden. I'm honestly shocked that Biden's path is this easy.

Just so you know, the Trump campaign hasn’t placed tv ads anywhere as of yesterday. You might see PAC dollars, but their campaign broadcast ads ended yesterday and they didn’t place anything for today or tomorrow.

Why would trump spend campaign money on something that does not put said money directly in his pocket? He'll let the super pacs keep spending scared little old lady money on his behalf.

Just so you know, the Trump campaign hasn’t placed tv ads anywhere as of yesterday. You might see PAC dollars, but their campaign broadcast ads ended yesterday and they didn’t place anything for today or tomorrow.

Are you saying the trump campaign is not currently running ads in any states? I can't imagine that's accurate.

Trump now calling for the election to be postponed. This will be a mainstream GOP position soon enough.

Trump now calling for the election to be postponed. This will be a mainstream GOP position soon enough.

Everyone knew this was coming at some point. And arguments will be handwaved away by people like Angus and Sailor saying, "Well, Libtards wanted to delay the primary in Wisconsin..."

While his campaign is sending emails to his supporters encouraging them to mail-in vote. lol

Everyone things are going perfect, return to your job, travel freely, send your kids to school, it’s all a hoax and nothing a little chloroquine can’t cure also it’s a fucking raging disaster and we need to delay the election. Further, please nobody talk about the biggest economic quarter retraction in history please talk about this.

Question isn’t really whether he CAN do this (obviously isn’t allowed by black letter) but rather what happens if he DID do this? What enforcement mechanisms do we have in place to address this that would actually kick in? So as of January 20, 2021 he’s not the president anymore and Pence isn’t VP - would military listen to Donald or Pelosi that day if given conflicting orders and hypothetically no election?

Question isn’t really whether he CAN do this (obviously isn’t allowed by black letter) but rather what happens if he DID do this? What enforcement mechanisms do we have in place to address this that would actually kick in? So as of January 20, 2021 he’s not the president anymore and Pence isn’t VP - would military listen to Donald or Pelosi that day if given conflicting orders and hypothetically no election?

my sister in the military keeps asserting how officers take an oath to the Constitution, enlisted to the President, so those in charge will uphold that, but I'm still worried.

My guess is that his campaign staff must have shown him some more bad private polls yesterday or this morning, and I'm sure that the economic quarter news didn't help. If he doesn't think he has a chance to win, we're going to hear a lot more of this type of stuff ("we've got to delay/cancel the election") going into the fall, as well as blatant racist appeals, over-the-top scare tactics, and God only knows what else.

Possibly inherent contempt. Congress would pass a resolution deputizing the sergeant-at-arms to bring Trump to the Hill. Obviously Secret Service is an unknown in that situation.

I don't think Chiefs and Commandants at the Pentagon are going to follow a rogue president. Doesn't seem like it's in their best interest.

I wonder how many Trumpites will think after hearing this, "Wow, this is just going too far...I'll have to reconsider my vote." Probably 0 to 1%?

And yet they claim that liberals are the ones with Trump Derangement Syndrome. LOL.

This is the most dangerous thing he's said yet. I know, there's a lot of competition. Trumpism is a cancer so effective that I fully expect even this will be explained away by republican members, which is downright scary.

my sister in the military keeps asserting how officers take an oath to the Constitution, enlisted to the President, so those in charge will uphold that, but I'm still worried.

Yeah I mean America isn’t unique. If there’s an actual power struggle, the military will decide what happens. That’s why military coups are so popular and why those attempting to overthrow the government or remain in power lock down the military force.

This is the most dangerous thing he's said yet. I know, there's a lot of competition. Trumpism is a cancer so effective that I fully expect even this will be explained away by republican members, which is downright scary.

“I didn’t see the tweet”
“I don’t comment on tweets”
“I’m not going to talk about that”
“No I’m not familiar with that”

Guaranteed stock answers for the profiles in courage that are the Republicans.

“I didn’t see the tweet”
“I don’t comment on tweets”
“I’m not going to talk about that”
“No I’m not familiar with that”

Guaranteed stock answers for the profiles in courage that are the Republicans.

Rubio will say that he doesn't read tweets, only writes, and then 5 minutes later will respond to someone like Jake Tapper calling him fake news

None of these Trump loyalists are actually loyal to Trump. They're just self-interested. Once it's no longer within their self-interest to align with him, they'll move on. The Trump camp is reading the writing on the wall right now, looking like a Biden electoral landslide, and they're flailing. I'm concerned about who Trump's heroes are on a global scale and the blueprint he may think that lays out for him.

On the way to work, NPR was interviewing one of the GOP Reps from Utah. The interviewer asked him about it the tweet. He said he had been in meetings this morning and hadn't seen it so he couldn't comment. So she read it to him. It was extremely frustrating listening to him stumble over himself trying to make the points that: (1) Trump has a legit concern about mail-in voting (he doesn't) and (2) he disputes the insinuation that this is connected to Trump's poll numbers (it is).

The GOP reaction to this, and Trump's future statements on the topic, will be the most obvious display of their complete and total lack of respect for the intelligence of their base. They will repeat bold faced lies and try to gaslight everyone.

But there's good news. This is so obvious and such a gross overreach and so anti-democratic that it will be overwhelmingly unpopular. It will backfire. Trump looks like the scared little bitch he is.

Back