• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Lol.

The realization that Rhule never beat a ranked team at Baylor is just mind blowing. Maybe the Rooney Rule fix for the NFL is to just get rid of these clown hires completely. NFL owners and GMs suck at hiring coaches.

Seriously, what the fuck was it about Rhule that made him the in-demand college coach that year?

FWIW, I was reading some of Paul Guillamette's (of Great Blue North) comments from the Senior Bowl practice yesterday, and he said that Howell and Willis were the 2 strongest QBs and said the other QBs just looked like jags. Howell is also the #1 QB on PFF's board. Their order is Howell, Ridder, Corral, Pickett, Strong and Willis.

Honestly, I’d be fine with some sort of traded down that allowed us to pick the third LT and Howell. I just don’t know what that is. Maybe #15 and #16 and a 2nd from the Eagles? It would be a risk though.

Fire Rhule and hire any of the good candidates still available. It’s not too late.

Marvin Lewis said that he interviewed with the Panthers back in 2002 after ESPN already reported the Panthers were going to hire John Fox.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/33200858

So what? By putting the Rooney Rule in place, it forced NFL teams to interview black candidates to check a mandatory box. They had to do it, and in some cases it probably helped open some opportunities for black head coaches where a decision had not already been made. But that doesn't mean that a team who had already identified who they wanted as their head coach was racist because they still followed through with the required Rooney Rule process. That doesn't make any sense, they couldn't opt out of the Rooney Rule simply because they already knew who they wanted to hire. Yes it was a waste of everybody's time, but that is a product of the rule. And, in hindsight, John Fox was a better hire than Marvin Lewis.

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Welcome to New OC Ben McAdoo!

LOL. Here we go. Do you think NFL would do better at hiring coaches if they didn’t have to interview at least one coach who isn’t white?

The problem isn’t the rule. The problem is the execution of the rule. Teams aren’t conducting earnest interviews. Instead they’re checking off a box. The rule isn’t to blame. That’s a racism and shitty hiring practices problem.

LOL. Here we go. Do you think NFL would do better at hiring coaches if they didn’t have to interview at least one coach who isn’t white?

The problem isn’t the rule. The problem is the execution of the rule. Teams aren’t conducting earnest interviews. Instead they’re checking off a box. The rule isn’t to blame. That’s a racism and shitty hiring practices problem.

In some cases, sure. In other cases, no. If after they fired Judge, the Giants called Bill Belichick and said hey, come back home and he agreed, would they be better at hiring coaches because they first had to interview Bieniemy before they could bring in Belichick? Of course not. There is a limited window of a few weeks when these coaching changes occur. Sometimes, time is important.

If it is a wide open search, then yes then the Rooney Rule makes some sense. If there is available specific target out there that the team wants to lock up quickly, then the Rooney Rule is just a waste of time for everyone involved. Especially if the former coach was fired in contemplation of the specific target. And that is not racism nor is it shitty hiring practices.

John Fox was the hot, in-demand target at that time, and it turned out to be a great hire. Not agreeing to a deal in principal with him because they had to wait to talk to Marvin Lewis would have been an idiotic hiring practice.

Honestly, I’d be fine with some sort of traded down that allowed us to pick the third LT and Howell. I just don’t know what that is. Maybe #15 and #16 and a 2nd from the Eagles? It would be a risk though.

I don't know why the Eagles would be interested in moving up. I think they're at 15, 16 and 19. That's the sweet spot of round 1. They need D. They can get Ojabo, 1 of the top 6 CBs and either Nakobe Dean or 1 of the top WRs. I don't see anyone at 6 they'd be dying to get, unless Hutchinson or Thibodeaux were to fall there.

And who knows when the QBs will start going off the board. If you stay at 6, the pick should be 1 of the 3 OTs. I'm coming around to Buckets' idea of sucking for Stroud/Young rather than wasting an early pick on a QB this year. I'm dubious about this entire QB class, especially if Howell does become regarded as the best of the lot.

Picking a QB without picking a LT is dumb. Picking a QB with a LT would be better. This team has enough talent not to suck enough to be in position to take a top QB next year. Can’t just count on that.

I don't know that Flores even starts the lawsuit now unless Belichick accidentally texts Flores instead of Daboll. The NFL owes another one to Belichick.

I am so glad Flores is doing this. Somebody needed to and he seems liek the right guy to do it.

I wish I was an owner. I would hire Flores today.

Last edited:
I don't know that Flores even starts the lawsuit now unless Belichick accidentally texts Flores instead of Daboll. The NFL owes another one to Belichick.

I am so glad Flores is doing this. Somebody needed to and he seems liek the right guy to do it.

I wish I was an owner. I would hire Flores today.

"accidentally" texts Flores

Am I missing something in this lawsuit?

Don't people interview people after they are like 99% in on the other candidate as a backup plan.

Don't people interview people after they are like 99% in on the other candidate as a backup plan.

Yeah, all the time. People hire who they want to hire unless you force them to hire someone else.

Yes, but that's not the issue - at all. The issue is that the guys like Flores aren't the front runner against guys they clearly should be. They are the backup plan too many times over a lesser qualified candidate.

Back