• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

two nights where you do all those things you mentioned (bedtime, diet, hrs in bed) may turn out wildly different in terms of how much rest you actually get so a tracker in theory would give you data to show it.

That said I don’t really use my sleep data other than glancing at it.
okay, then the same same inputs result in different outputs

what do you do with that info?

Go easier in a workout than you thought you needed to?

My sleep tracking encourages me to go to sleep earlier. But I’m struggling with waking up too early.

My Garmin recommends easier runs based on my sleep.

When I got my Fitbit in 2019 tracking the sleep was what led me to a sleep study and getting a CPAP.

It also just makes me much more conscious of when I go to bed based on when I’m waking up.

Day to day, I think sleep tracking is mostly garbage, but I did get an alert recently on my iPhone letting me know that I had been sleeping significantly less over the last 3 weeks than in the last 6 months. This was true. My kids were sick at varying times. I had some nights where I went out later than usual. And I also had some nights where I watched TV or messed around on my phone later than usual.

I don't think I'd have tied all of this together until I got the notification and it was a good reminder that, hey, maybe I should get back to going to bed around 10/1030 (when I'm able).

Not groundbreaking. But I like stuff like that.

Not related to sleep, but I was also informed that my steps have been down the last few months. Again... no shit. I don't play out in the yard as much with my kids in the winter. But it was interesting to see it quantified.

Wife and I did a 5.5 mile walk and then got in the car for a 2 hour drive. Everything hurts.

Last Sunday, I got home from NC around 9:00 and got in a quick workout that include chest presses. Then I played volleyball Monday night. Every morning since I’ve woken up with a sore right shoulder including right now. I’m hoping not to make it worse tonight.

EMT clinicals done. Back to consistent training. Hitting legs today.

Baseball season is cranking back up and I'm back to throwing BP 3-4 days a week. My right shoulder is in a constant state of numbness / discomfort from now through June.
Mine is still destroyed from high school. It takes so long to warm up to throw now. I can't imagine what life is like for MLB pitchers after they retire.

For me it's the hips that are the worst. If I don't do an extensive warm up/dynamic stretching routine and slowly ramp up, I can't do any kind of heavy compound leg exercise. Ugh, old.

For me it's the hips that are the worst. If I don't do an extensive warm up/dynamic stretching routine and slowly ramp up, I can't do any kind of heavy compound leg exercise. Ugh, old.
hips are a consistent trouble area for me too, but my shoulder stays injured while my hips just stay tight

Mako, with you canoeing and kayaking summer job, any tips for physically preparing for some long paddling trips in the next couple months? I’m doing up to 25 miles in a kayak over 4 days in March and 60 miles in a canoe over 6 days in June. I am thinking, focusing on my back and stretching my hamstrings and IT bands might be as or more important than arm strength.

Mako, with you canoeing and kayaking summer job, any tips for physically preparing for some long paddling trips in the next couple months? I’m doing up to 25 miles in a kayak over 4 days in March and 60 miles in a canoe over 6 days in June. I am thinking, focusing on my back and stretching my hamstrings and IT bands might be as or more important than arm strength.
For a situation like that I’m gonna assume endurance is going to be more important than strength but if you’re doing a push/pull/ legs split already you should by fine. Weirdly enough it’s my hood and knees that give me the most trouble on multi day paddling trips.

Back