• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

Carlson's Fish Oil
Creatine
Protein (Whey, usually)
Beta-Alanine (inconsistent)
Magnesium Bisglycinate (inconsistent... for sleep)

I stopped doing a pre-workout... I will, as stated above, use hydration packets during a difficult workout. I like the Liquid IV Sugar Free Lemon/Lime that you can get at Costco.

Had 12 hour EMT/ER clinical shifts Fri, Sun, and Tuesday and have an overnight shift tonight, so my workouts have suffered. But I’m doing pull day now, and think I’ll be able to make it back tomorrow for push.

I am definitely noticing the creatine bloat y’all were describing. Hoping it abates somewhat as today is my last day of the loading phase.

I am definitely noticing the creatine bloat y’all were describing. Hoping it abates somewhat as today is my last day of the loading phase.
I read a study that said the loading phase was unnecessary. I'll try to find it.

I read a study that said the loading phase was unnecessary. I'll try to find it.
It’s unnecessary, but does jump start you. Creatine monohydrate doesn’t have a performance impact until the muscle cells are saturated with Creatine. The loading phase just gets you to that point sooner.

Yeah, I only did a "load" for a few days when I started back up about a year ago. Whatever weight gain / bloat I had in the beginning went away in a few weeks. And I was stronger and leaner at that point. I take daily and have zero ill effects (unless I take it on a completely empty stomach, which sometimes gives me minor nausea).

Anyone used Oura or Whoop or similar devices to track their sleep patterns and recovery?

I use my Garmin watch. I wanted an Oura, but I refuse to pay a subscription for that. At least as much as they want.

Get annoyed that I didn’t sleep better.
yeah, for me, i'd be in my head about the fact that i'm being tracked

i just don't know what i'd do to change things because i wore a watch -- like, am i gonna try harder to sleep better only because a watch is telling me i'm bad at sleeping??

i guess

seems intuitive to me: longer workout needs more sleep, i sleep better when i don't drink alcohol that night, i sleep better when i go to be at xx:xx than an hour later, etc.

i guess

seems intuitive to me: longer workout needs more sleep, i sleep better when i don't drink alcohol that night, i sleep better when i go to be at xx:xx than an hour later, etc.

two nights where you do all those things you mentioned (bedtime, diet, hrs in bed) may turn out wildly different in terms of how much rest you actually get so a tracker in theory would give you data to show it.

That said I don’t really use my sleep data other than glancing at it.

Back