• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

I tweaked something in my mid-back yesterday loading some Costco shit into the wife's SUV. Feels a little better today but what the hell?!? Never strained a muscle there before.

Back for pull day!
Did some lat pull downs and back rows today with the arms/chest routine. I think eventually we'll separate the push/pull exercises because we do have an abs/lower back day.

I have not been taking this advice and I currently have a hemorrhoid, pulled lat, and sore ankle and knee.
I’m not hating on CrossFit.
CrossFit was my entry into weight lifting.
Seeing strong men in CrossFit opened my eyes to what was possible with my body.
CrossFit served me for many years.
It pushed me out of my comfort zone. I learned so much through CrossFit and the incredible community. It taught me a new kind of hard effort. I love the sport.
|| Here’s the caveat with CrossFit. ||
🔸If your goal is to build muscle. At some point you will hit a plateau with your standard CrossFit programming.
You gain in the beginning because you’re brand new to muscle. Moving any amount of weight will help you grow.
The programming at most CrossFit gyms is designed to get the general population fit - you’ll eventually need more. Strength progression, accessory work, skill development.
✨✨If you look at the way crossFit athletes train. The WOD is a very small fraction of their overall training regimen.

👉🏼If you’re looking to build muscle mass this year, I’m not saying you have to quit CrossFit. I’m saying you will need more strength and muscle specific training than a 10-20 minute WOD.

✨✨Side note | If you’re chronically stressed, rest is a foreign concept to you, and/or your body is a bit more sensitive to stressors and environment. Red lining in workouts multiple days a week is going to tank your body, your nervous system, and your hormones. CrossFit is not serving you.
High intensity fitness is cool until it’s not. ✌🏻
See less

I’m not hating on CrossFit.
CrossFit was my entry into weight lifting.
Seeing strong men in CrossFit opened my eyes to what was possible with my body.
CrossFit served me for many years.
It pushed me out of my comfort zone. I learned so much through CrossFit and the incredible community. It taught me a new kind of hard effort. I love the sport.
|| Here’s the caveat with CrossFit. ||
🔸If your goal is to build muscle. At some point you will hit a plateau with your standard CrossFit programming.
You gain in the beginning because you’re brand new to muscle. Moving any amount of weight will help you grow.
The programming at most CrossFit gyms is designed to get the general population fit - you’ll eventually need more. Strength progression, accessory work, skill development.
✨✨If you look at the way crossFit athletes train. The WOD is a very small fraction of their overall training regimen.

👉🏼If you’re looking to build muscle mass this year, I’m not saying you have to quit CrossFit. I’m saying you will need more strength and muscle specific training than a 10-20 minute WOD.

✨✨Side note | If you’re chronically stressed, rest is a foreign concept to you, and/or your body is a bit more sensitive to stressors and environment. Red lining in workouts multiple days a week is going to tank your body, your nervous system, and your hormones. CrossFit is not serving you.
High intensity fitness is cool until it’s not. ✌🏻
See less
Yeah, CrossFit is definitely just a part of my training. I still do a ton of running and different lifting as well. Unfortunately taken as a whole, especially with the current obstacle race training, it may be too much

My wife wants us to run a 5k in late February.

I hate running.

I mean, I'll do it. I'm just not looking forward to my old man knees getting all jacked up over the next month.

On the plus side, I think I can convince our 9yo daughter to run it, too... And then I can just hang with her and say I was being a good dad (instead of a lazy sack of shit).

Yeah, CrossFit is definitely just a part of my training. I still do a ton of running and different lifting as well. Unfortunately taken as a whole, especially with the current obstacle race training, it may be too much
lol damnit mako you weren't supposed to engage w/ that post in earnest, bless your heart

Yeah, I do what most would call Crossfit style workouts 3 days a week and then strength stuff 2 days a week (and sometimes I'll do a little of both in the same day).

On the other days, I just try to stay active... Which can be as little as playing with my kids in the yard or going for a walk with my wife.

This time of year sucks, though. Garage gym is cold. I feel extra lazy. I don't get enough sunlight. Can't wait for spring.

Yeah, I do what most would call Crossfit style workouts 3 days a week and then strength stuff 2 days a week (and sometimes I'll do a little of both in the same day).

On the other days, I just try to stay active... Which can be as little as playing with my kids in the yard or going for a walk with my wife.

This time of year sucks, though. Garage gym is cold. I feel extra lazy. I don't get enough sunlight. Can't wait for spring.
Same. I'm struggling with the cold gym and darkness. I'm lucky to get 3-4 days per week right now and feel like a bum. Really considering going commercial for 2 months.

48 degrees this morning. "run" today around the lake as the sun rose. Started with Last of the Mohicans and then moved on to Oh Fortuna as the fog was hovering right above the lake. God help me, if a hand rose from that lake with a sword i would not have been one bit shocked.
Positive notes, increased my pace on my 1.5Mi circuit.

Today was Chest day... got a solid range of motion in...felt great.

Mixed it up today with the F3 boot camp folks. Haven't done that in about 2 weeks with all the rain and sub freezing temps the last 2 weeks. Felt good to change it up a little. Could definitely feel the benefits of being in the gym and lifting weights. The cinderblocks we used this morning felt lighter.

The amount of time I spend at the gym, and they way I eat Sunday through Friday I should be built like a brick shithouse.

it can be discouraging at times

Back