• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

In a Twitter thread Tuesday, Rep. Troy E. Nehls (R-Tex.) claimed without evidence that “The @CapitolPolice Intelligence Division investigated my office illegally and one of my staffers caught them in the act.”

Nehls accused Capitol Police leadership after one of the officers entered his office in the Longworth House Office Building with no prior notice Nov. 20, 2021, ahead of the Thanksgiving break, and took pictures of a whiteboard. The officer filed a report raising concerns about the contents of the whiteboard, which included mentions of “body armor” and a poorly drawn map of the Rayburn House Office Building — which is also part of the Capitol complex — that had an X at one of the building’s entrances.

In the police report, the Capitol officer who entered Nehls’s office said that he found the door “wide open with no one in the area” and that he noticed a whiteboard “with suspicious writings mentioning body armor with an outline of the Rayburn Building next to the Longworth building with an 'x' marked at the C street entrance of the Rayburn.” The report says the officer locked the office’s door but does not mention that the officer took a picture of the office.

Nehls, in an interview with The Washington Post, said he is not questioning Capitol Police protocol or the officer’s decision to enter his office to conduct a security check, and that he’s “not against” the “rank and file” of the Capitol Police. He is, however, concerned about the photograph taken of his office and whiteboard and how it triggered an investigation of his office.

Nehls explained that the writing on the board — which included reports of faulty Chinese-made body armor — was related to legislation his office was working on, while the map of the Rayburn Building, which Nehls said “looked like it was done by my 9-year-old,” was drawn for an intern who was sent on a mission to find the ice machine. The X marked the spot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/08/capitol-police-nehl-investigation/

And some of you people want to end the bail system and just let people go. How about keep these fuckers in jail !?

He murdered a child at a Walmart, got his bailed lowered from $1 million to $100,000, used his bail freedom to be in an insurrection. As far as I can tell, he was in jail for 3 weeks and has been out on bail for 2 years.

? He was let go by the bail system. It's right there in the tweet.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Abolish bail for dangerous criminals. Letting dudes with half a dozen violent convictions post $1,000 bail to get out is just as bad as letting them out for free. If you've got enough to make a case against a guy for attempted murder, he probably shouldn't be allowed to hang out at Applebee's on Thursday night. I know I've veered way off topic here but the right to a speedy trial has disappeared in this country, which exacerbates the shortfalls of the bail system and the pre-trial detention system.

He murdered a child at a Walmart, got his bailed lowered from $1 million to $100,000, used his bail freedom to be in an insurrection. As far as I can tell, he was in jail for 3 weeks and has been out on bail for 2 years.

He was actually a 19-year old who killed a 17-year old after he was robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot at the Smithfield, NC Walmart. He is from Middlesex. He pleaded guilty to ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON charge AFTER Jan 6 and up until his arrest yesterday, was ON PROBATION. So, at least he'll wind up in jail now, which is where he belonged two years ago.

North Carolina is really representing itself in these January 6 arrests. Racist, violent, and stupid is no way to go through life son.

At the same time, I'm actually rather concerned about these morons becoming radicalized in prison. While I'm sure he can go work for his friend's dad doing something in rural Johnston or Nash County when he gets out, he's basically thrown his life away with his dad's help.

Last edited:
I guess I’ll put this here…

Right-wing conspiracies have a new target: a tool that fights actual voter fraud

If Republicans over the past few years have made one thing clear, it's that they really care about voter fraud.

Sometimes they call it "election irregularities" or "shenanigans," but the issue has become a calling card for a party whose voters by and large falsely think elections in the U.S. are tainted.

Which is what makes a currently blossoming election conspiracy so strange: The far right is now running a disinformation campaign against one of the best tools that states have to detect and prevent voter fraud.

And experts worry voting policy is already starting to suffer as a result...

…That far-right pushback has been somewhat frustrating to Merrill, who noted the system provides the only way states have to accurately check whether someone has illegally cast a ballot in the same election in two states.

"It helps identify duplicate registrations," Merrill said. "It helps identify dual participation in elections. That's a concern [and] there's no other way that any state in the union can do that independently of ERIC."

So why is this system being targeted then?

Becker, who now runs the nonpartisan Center for Election Innovation & Research, says it's because election deniers don't actually want voting to be more secure or efficient. It's the same reason, he says, they often oppose ballot drop boxes even though they are considered a more secure way to return mail ballots than using the Postal Service.

"They don't care about actual integrity," Becker said. "They only care that their side wins. That is the most anti-democratic idea that I can imagine."…

Bingo.

can i invest in republicans eventually going against the concept of voting altogether?

She described a free and fair election as "somewhat of a coup."

Back