• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

Think about how this Republican primary might go down:…

shit-show.gif

Standard *logical* defense that I have seen from Republicans is that the President has the authority to de-classify information, and the documents he took to Miralago are his own records.

Do they note the difference between declassify and take?

Mike Pence has one thing going for him. He executed the duties of his office at the time and in the manner expected of him when all but a handful of Republicans were willing to allow Donald Trump to disregard the Constitution and attempt to overthrow the duly elected government. That might count for something, but I doubt it.

What does it say about the Republican party that he gets credit for doing the absolute bare minimum?

"He didn't attempt a coup!"

i just can't fucking imagine toeing the line for this loser, no matter how obviously awful he is

what the hell is wrong with people

Standard *logical* defense that I have seen from Republicans is that the President has the authority to de-classify information, and the documents he took to Miralago are his own records.

Do they note the difference between declassify and take?

Seriously. Even if he declassified (which I'm sure he didn't), they're government documents, not his. He doesn't have the power to take what he wants.

Seriously. Even if he declassified (which I'm sure he didn't), they're government documents, not his. He doesn't have the power to take what he wants.

There’s also things you have to do to declassify something, it’s not a Michael Scott I declare bankruptcy situation and it’s all good.

was it posted here that Trump signed a law in 2018 that stiffened the penalty for taking classified info? seemed to be in retribution to Hillary.

was it posted here that Trump signed a law in 2018 that stiffened the penalty for taking classified info? seemed to be in retribution to Hillary.

I thought it was changed after the Sandy Berger case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...932ca6-1850-11ed-b998-b2ab68f58468_story.html

7. Have there been cases like that brought before?

Not against a former president, but Sandy Berger, national security adviser under President Bill Clinton, pleaded guilty in 2005 to removing classified records from the National Archives. Berger admitted that in 2003 he concealed and removed five copies of classified documents that he was reviewing in connection with a request for records by the 9/11 Commission. He took the documents to his office and destroyed three of them. The former White House aide was ultimately sentenced to two year’s probation and ordered to pay a $100,000 fine. Berger’s guilty plea was announced by then-Assistant Attorney General Christopher Wray, the current Federal Bureau of Investigation director, who would have played a key role in authorizing the Mar-a-Lago search.

Looks like the amendments to the law were either executive order and removed or never made it to law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Records_Act

Interesting quote about politically motivated investigations, given that his criticism of those taking the 5th were during the hearings about Clinton's emails.

Back