• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

Seems like a good deterrent to not do insurrection.
As a budding abolitionist, I question the idea that sentence length is a deterrent. I definitely don't think it deters people from taking extreme measures to put politicians in power who will at the very least make sure they're not punished for insurrection.

Certainly diminishing returns on sentence length for deterrence in normal cases. I have no idea if longer sentences for “don’t try and overthrow the government” would track with that

Certainly diminishing returns on sentence length for deterrence in normal cases. I have no idea if longer sentences for “don’t try and overthrow the government” would track with that
Not people who scream "Trump won!" after sentencing and seem to think Trump will win and pardon them. These people think they're patriots and heroes, not insurrectionists.

22 years is a long time but a lot of people have been sentenced to much longer for being convicted of less which much less evidence.
Prosecution requested 33 years so judge went 1/3 under request.

Longer sentence would keep him from being available to do it again anytime soon.

Prosecution requested 33 years so judge went 1/3 under request.

Longer sentence would keep him from being available to do it again anytime soon.
Right. That's a better reason for a longer sentence.

While I do enjoy seeing these smug idiots get their comeuppance… they got really, really close

Seems like a good deterrent to not do insurrection.
I don't know man. These people are truly crazy and disconnected from reality. I think it's more likely they see this sentence (and any sentence length really) not being a deterrent but much more likely a reason to rebel again, and harder this time. The sentence should really be about making the rest of us feel that justice (or at least vengeance) has been served.

It’s very likely the majority of Republican candidates going forward regard these people as political prisoners and heroes. The next Republican president will probably pardon them.

It’s very likely the majority of Republican candidates going forward regard these people as political prisoners and heroes. The next Republican president will probably pardon them.
Well yeah a big part of the hot air being spewed about Trump’s indictments is he can’t get a fair trial in any of these jurisdictions. The place where he did his crimes.

So surely his sycophants also were victims of an unjust system with no jury of their peers.

Personally, I think the chances that any of these rank and file offenders get a future pardon, especially from Trump, is slim to none. Pardons are for personal acquaintances, those that have bribe donation money, or those that can potentially implicate others.

Personally, I think the chances that any of these rank and file offenders get a future pardon, especially from Trump, is slim to none. Pardons are for personal acquaintances, those that have bribe donation money, or those that can potentially implicate others.

Nah. There will be an outcry from the base to pardon them.

It’s very likely the majority of Republican candidates going forward regard these people as political prisoners and heroes*. The next Republican president will probably pardon them.
* to enrich themselves and get their votes.

Sure, but you can add that to explain anything Republicans do.
Your quote implies they believe the lies. We know the leadership and... less dumb members know its all bs. They remain lockstep in the lies for their own gain.

As a budding abolitionist, I question the idea that sentence length is a deterrent. I definitely don't think it deters people from taking extreme measures to put politicians in power who will at the very least make sure they're not punished for insurrection.
as an abolitionist, i was being facetious

it's gonna be hilarious (to me, at least) when conservatives/fascists start to rhetorically make their way towards abolitionism in the coming months

They know what's just and right. But they only want it for themselves.

Back