• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

anigif_sub-buzz-30041-1513023058-12.gif

Yep, and that attitude could describe a number of Republicans and even some conservative posters here. It's all a game to them, and they think that everyone else doesn't take it seriously either. It's like Joseph McCarthy, who would savage witnesses and anyone who dared to criticize him, and would then get his feelings hurt when the people he was falsely calling Communists and threatening to ruin snubbed him at DC cocktail parties and weren't nice to him in private. He didn't take what he was doing seriously - it was all just a way to get ahead. And he just assumed that everyone played the game like he did. Cruz seems very similar in that regard, and so do many Republicans. Not everyone sees politics as a joke, and some actually do take it seriously.

Over thirty Members of the House have had serious enough threats against themselves and their families to request more security. Yet Congressional Republicans won't stand up and call those making those threats terrorists and traitors. Cowardly Republicans are supporting the killing of Dems and overthrowing our government.

That's the kind of bipartisanship our country needs right now.

Also, our country is demonstrably worse off because of Twitter.

Partisanship has existed since the beginning of the Republic. Partisanship didn’t cause the insurrection. Lies to protect the fragile ego of a game show host and those who manipulated his followers for their personal gain caused the insurrection. She’s right to call him out for not walking back those lies.

Partisanship has existed since the beginning of the Republic. Partisanship didn’t cause the insurrection. Lies to protect the fragile ego of a game show host and those who manipulated his followers for their personal gain caused the insurrection. She’s right to call him out for not walking back those lies.

I agree that she is right to call him out, and she can call for him to resign if she wants to (although we all know he isn't going to do that), but she claims that Cruz's intent was that she be murdered. She says he almost "had me" murdered (not "got me" killed) and that he--and other GOP congresspeople--were "trying to get me killed." Those are lies in their own right.

Moreover, to your point, a politician lying is not an excuse to abandon bipartisanship. Lying is what politicians do. ("If you want your plan, you can keep your plan.") Cruz's lie was much bigger than Obama's, obviously, and he should apologize for the impact it had, but Congress needs to lower the temperature, so our country can do the same.

How hard would have been for her to say something like "I'm pleased that Senator Cruz agrees with me on this. Senator Cruz lied to the American people regarding the outcome of the election, and we must never forget that stain on his record, but I'm looking forward to working together with him and any other member of the GOP who wants to help on this issue"? That's what a statesman (-person) would say.

This board is highly partisan, and I'll be the first to admit that I can be too, but we are anonymous posters on a sports message board. She's a sitting representative. Cruz also sucks, but, in this exchange, he comes across like the bigger man.

That's all I have to say about this. It's already occupied way more time of my life than it is worth.

Sure, Ted Cruz almost had AOC murdered, but she really looks petty for still dwelling on it weeks later.

It’s really shitty to see Republicans like Junebug continue to minimize what happened on Jan 6 so they can maintain their partisan fantasies.

One of Cruz’ constituents who listened to him speak on Jan 6 was arrested for tweeting “Assassinate AOC.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/23/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-man-charged-threat

This is not a game, Junebug. Cruz put her life and the lives of other members of Congress at Pence at risk.

Back