• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

Wasn't all of congress in the Capitol building during the coup? It's not like Cruz singled out AOC and other libs and told the mob to go find them specifically. I mean, I DO NOT want to make light of what happened. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that AOC is being hyperbolic and her rhetoric exacerbates the problem, IMO.

Wasn't all of congress in the Capitol building during the coup? It's not like Cruz singled out AOC and other libs and told the mob to go find them specifically. I mean, I DO NOT want to make light of what happened. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that AOC is being hyperbolic and her rhetoric exacerbates the problem, IMO.

What do you think that mob would’ve done had they found Ted Cruz unguarded? What do you think they would’ve done had they found Nancy Pelosi or AOC unguarded?

What do you think that mob would’ve done had they found Ted Cruz unguarded? What do you think they would’ve done had they found Nancy Pelosi or AOC unguarded?

I think that mob was too fucking stupid to know what they were doing and most likely the majority of them couldn't pick AOC out of a crowd. I also think that in their minds the republican senators were just as "guilty" as turning a blind eye to the "obvious stolen election". My point is, while Cruz is a fucking donk, it's not like he told a mob to go take down AOC, or anyone for that matter.

Cruz extended the proverbial olive branch on Twitter stating that he agreed with something AOC posted and AOC threw it back in his face. Any bipartisan talk is lip service coming from both sides, but Cruz at least tried to find some common ground with AOC.

All these people consume is right wing media that is full of pictures/videos of AOC. They could definitely pick her out. All it takes is one person to start yelling for them to mob towards her. I think you are really minimizing the organization and planning that we have seen evidence of that went into January 6th.

When an angry mob storms your workplace and kills people because of lies that one of your coworkers told, would you want to work with that person a couple weeks later?

Cruz extended the proverbial olive branch on Twitter stating that he agreed with something AOC posted and AOC threw it back in his face. Any bipartisan talk is lip service coming from both sides, but Cruz at least tried to find some common ground with AOC.

That's giving Cruz way too much credit. He noticed all his recent negative attention and dogshit (I assume) approval polls, and tweeted against something that public opinion is currently angry about. If he actually makes an effort to do something regarding this topic that may be different, but as of now a two word tweet does not outweigh the other things he has said and done.

I dunno man. AOC could have just not said anything. Cruz called bull shit on the election. He didn't tell anyone to storm to capitol.

I'm not saying it outweighs anything. But ignoring him, rather than creating more division by talking shit, is the correct move, IMO.

I dunno man. AOC could have just not said anything. Cruz called bull shit on the election. He didn't tell anyone to storm to capitol.

He told angry white people with a ton of guns that their voices weren’t being heard and that their votes were being stolen. What did you think would happen?

Cruz called bull shit on the election. He didn't tell anyone to storm to capitol.

In all seriousness, how different are those two things in this case? He repeatedly said that the election was fraudulent and something needed to be done about it. He in no way tried to temper Trump's rhetoric about overturning the election in literally any way possible. Just because he wasn't specific about storming the capitol doesn't mean his words didn't lead to that action.

If anyone can point to Cruz saying something along the lines of:

"I believe the election was fraudulent, but we need to let this play out in the proper channels and not through violent action."

then I would be more willing to say that Cruz wasn't necessarily complicit.

Cruz is a donk, like I said. He underestimated how pissed off the Trumpers were, but he didn't push for violence and he didn't tell anyone to storm the capitol.

Cruz:
"Violence is always unacceptable. Even when passions run high."

I'm mainly just playing devil's advocate here. Fuck Cruz.

Cruz is a donk, like I said. He underestimated how pissed off the Trumpers were, but he didn't push for violence and he didn't tell anyone to storm the capitol.

Cruz:
"Violence is always unacceptable. Even when passions run high."

Meh. Tweeting that as the capitol is already being stormed is not meaningful in my opinion.

I also don't really understand anyone telling AOC to just ignore Cruz. Why do people always assume that ignoring the person that has repeatedly acted in bad faith is a better move than calling them out? Do you actually believe that Ted Cruz is going to ever cooperate with AOC meaningfully on anything policy related? Ignore him or put him on full blast on twitter, either way that cooperation is never happening IMO.

I also don't really understand anyone telling AOC to just ignore Cruz. Why do people always assume that ignoring the person that has repeatedly acted in bad faith is a better move than calling them out? Do you actually believe that Ted Cruz is going to ever cooperate with AOC meaningfully on anything policy related? Ignore him or put him on full blast on twitter, either way that cooperation is never happening IMO.

Exactly. It's like thinking Moscow Mitch will do anything helpful or unifying.

Ted Cruz is a very smart person, he knows exactly what he's saying so he can keep the MAGAts riled up and on his side for 2024. Sure he didn't literally say to storm the Capitol and kill AOC, but he and others of his ilk essentially said just that.

I guess some of you weren’t as concerned about that by that video of insurrectionists harassing some random backbencher rep at Dulles. They did their homework.

They would have killed Pelosi. They would have killed AOC. They probably would have killed Kaitlin Collins. Raped them too.

I don’t know why you all are saying a violent mob who killed and injured a random cops (who they see as allies) are above killing Democrats and media.

The only reason that what Cruz did and said in the lead up to the attempted coup doesn’t seem that bad is because Trump, Mo Brooks, Gulliani, etc were so much worse. Sure he didn’t say “someone should really kill AOC.” but he did lie repeatedly and fan the flames of growing delusional outrage over the November election. Further Cruz continued the charade after the riot, officially object in congress even when crazy people like Loefler apologized and voted to certify the election. I dont think he has ever exhibited any amount of contrition over his words and actions.

I don’t really know where she was or how close she was to being caught by the rioters in the capital on January 6th, but there is no doubt if they had caught her, they would have at a minimum injured her. To say that the may not have recognized her is pretty disingenuous when she has been enemy #1 of conservatives since 2018. Someone would have recognized her and they definitely would have attacked her and probably killed her. I get that people want to move past this incredibly embarrassing and damaging episode in our nation’s recent history. But people really need to stop down playing the seriousness of what happened, and how lucky we are that the security protected all of our law makers. I also think that before you can demand that Democrats be the grown ups in the room and work for unity and forgiveness, we need to see a few republicans step forward and apologize for their roll in the attempted coup by Donald Trump.

Back