• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

I will also add that 3 Wild Cards is too many. Philly shouldn’t have even been in the playoffs. We play 162 for a reason. Yes they beat our ass but in a short series even the worst team in the league would beat the best occasionally.

I will also add that 3 Wild Cards is too many. Philly shouldn’t have even been in the playoffs. We play 162 for a reason. Yes they beat our ass but in a short series even the worst team in the league would beat the best occasionally.

Waaah

lol. Third best team in the division going to the NLCS. That's baseball though. When a team gets hot with a bit of luck, watch out. Braves were the beneficiaries last year. Watch out for the Dodgers. If I were you I'd be rooting like hell for the Padres tonight because you guys will get absolutely worked by the Dodgers.

lol. Third best team in the division going to the NLCS. That's baseball though. When a team gets hot with a bit of luck, watch out. Braves were the beneficiaries last year. Watch out for the Dodgers. If I were you I'd be rooting like hell for the Padres tonight because you guys will get absolutely worked by the Dodgers.
Yeah it is what it is. It’s more anger about sitting through a 162 game season which now doesn’t really mean much. I mean there were 7 teams in the NL with a pulse. 6 of them made the playoffs.

Last year the Braves won 88 games. This year the Phils won 87 games. Quit being a crybaby.

Last year the Braves won 88 games. This year the Phils won 87 games. Quit being a crybaby.
It’s not exactly the same. The Braves won the division. The Phillies finished 3rd and were the 3rd wild card team in. I just don’t like expanded baseball playoffs after such a long regular season.

Also, this is a Braves’ thread full of Braves’ fans. Congrats to the Phillies but don’t expect us to be thrilled. You don’t have to join in here. There are plenty of places to talk Phillies baseball.

I personally think 162 games is too long for a season to introduce the randomness of a short series playoff. I also think the season is too long (as a Mets fan it would be generally most beneficial if it ends at the All Star break). But I would think fans fall into one of these camps:

1) It takes 162 games to normalize for the variables in baseball and come out with the best teams

-If you believe this then what you really want is like a 6 team playoff MAX from the division winners only, if not just the top 4 teams, or LESS, plus long playoff series (7 games?)

2) 162 game seasons are too long because there are trades, injuries, changes, streaks

-If you believe this then you want a shortened season with some restrictions and expanded playoffs

I personally think 162 games is too long for a season to introduce the randomness of a short series playoff. I also think the season is too long (as a Mets fan it would be generally most beneficial if it ends at the All Star break). But I would think fans fall into one of these camps:

1) It takes 162 games to normalize for the variables in baseball and come out with the best teams

-If you believe this then what you really want is like a 6 team playoff MAX from the division winners only, if not just the top 4 teams, or LESS, plus long playoff series (7 games?)

2) 162 game seasons are too long because there are trades, injuries, changes, streaks

-If you believe this then you want a shortened season with some restrictions and expanded playoffs
Both of those make sense to me. I trend toward option #1 but #2 makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is blending them both.

Let's just agree to retroactively shave 6 games off the end of this last season and start the playoffs over.
Haha I’m in. Our series was basically a playoff series anyway. You didn’t need to play two of them!

Conventional wisdom in baseball has been that good pitching beats good hitting. Phillies defied that all season and stood it on its head in the short series. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to out hit teams in the longer NLCS and World Series.

I mean the Braves had really good pitching this year but due to a variety of factors they had one quality start in four games. Not going to win too many series doing that. They would likely be in deep trouble in a seven-game series no matter who they were playing at this point even under the old format.

Last edited:
Strider's injury really hampered the Braves. He was dominant for 2+ months, but was ordinary after missing a month.

I mean the Braves had really good pitching this year but due to a variety of factors they had one quality start in four games. Not going to win too many series doing that. They would likely be in deep trouble in a seven-game series no matter who they were playing at this point even under the old format.
With Strider coming back from injury and Morton struggling we really needed to win first two games. I will agree I don't think we beat the Phillies in a 7 game series. The offense was terrible.

Do Braves fans give Acuna a pass on his lack of hustle, given he's so talented? Yes, strikeouts happen...but that performance in RF was abysmal

Do Braves fans give Acuna a pass on his lack of hustle, given he's so talented? Yes, strikeouts happen...but that performance in RF was abysmal
Some of it he was ordered to do. For example, he was told not to run out grounders because of his knee. Not sure how much that played into defense.

It is okay to admit he is a top 5 talent who does not have the highest baseball IQ. Some of the stuff he does on the base paths when injured is much more infuriating than his defensive lapses.

Back