• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

It's not just the NFCS, it's the whole NFC other than maybe the West, though this year that will depend on how good Lance is right away and if Mighty Mouse pulls another disappearing act the last half of the season like he has the last 2. It must really suck to be Mike Tomlin and have 6 games against Burrow, Watson and Jackson. Same for the AFCW. I'm in favor of a few new rules changes. The AFC will now be renamed the Premier League. The AFC championship game will now be called the Super Bowl. The worst AFC team will be relegated to the NFC for the following year. And whoever wins the NFC championship game gets promoted to the Premier League for the following season. On paper, I only see 2 NFC teams who could compete with the top 9 AFC teams for a playoff spot - LAR and TB. GB's and Dal's rosters won't be what they were last year, and it'll probably take Lance a season or so to adjust, though I'm rooting for him - seems like a cool guy.

Brady is smart. He chose well unlike Russell Wilson.

Seeing more and more talk about how Willis went to Cam’s HS, 7 on 7 camps, and Auburn and how they’re close and how Cam would be willing to mentor Willis.

Not sure what is real and what is trade bait.

Seeing more and more talk about how Willis went to Cam’s HS, 7 on 7 camps, and Auburn and how they’re close and how Cam would be willing to mentor Willis.

Not sure what is real and what is trade bait.

I think it's fair to say that, if you draft a QB at 6, it's totally a Tepper move that he is forcing on his coach and GM because it's in their best interest to take a T at 6 and try to win as many games this year as possible this year to save their jobs. But if that happens, I hope he's forcing Willis on them and not Pickett. I'd rather bet on Willis' elite traits and that you can improve his accuracy by improving his footwork. I don't see Pickett ever being more than a low end starting QB like a Goff or Bridgewater.

The other thing McShay was talking about this a.m. is the name he keeps hearing most of the other 3 QBs is Ridder, and he has Detroit taking Ridder at 32. Is it just me or is it pretty clear that Ridder is the worst of the 5? He's a good runner and appears to be a good leader type, but he's the worst passer of the 5. If I'm Detroit, I'm not sold on any of these guys being an upgrade over Goff and am just rolling with him till I get to a better QB draft.

We've heard from guitar that Tepper doesn't want a rookie QB. Maybe he's given up on the veteran QB market.

An exciting QB with Cam as his backup/mentor/hype man is tempting. I still want a top LT out of this.

Cam is one of my favorite football players of all time, but I don't see how him mentoring anyone is a good idea. Cam was a QB with freak athletic ability but who, for whatever reason, could never improve on his throwing mechanics to remain competitive at the NFL level once his athletic ability couldn't carry him. I don't know why you would want him mentoring another QB whose game is currently based on natural athletic ability but suspect throwing mechanics.

Unless Cam's mentoring consists of "try to run around them or over them before you heave the ball downfield and hope for a great catch or PI flag" (and Willis is not running over anyone in the NFL at his size), I'm not sure what he brings to that role. Other than entertainment value to the home crowd on the sidelines as the hype man or maybe postgame fashion advisor. But Cam isn't offering anything to improve on Willis' weaknesses.

Last edited:
McShay has us drafting Pickett as an attempt for Rhule to save his job. Really hope we don’t allow a lame duck coach to saddle the Panthers with a mediocre QB for that reason

We've heard from guitar that Tepper doesn't want a rookie QB. Maybe he's given up on the veteran QB market.

An exciting QB with Cam as his backup/mentor/hype man is tempting. I still want a top LT out of this.

No, no and no. Hell no.

An involved owner surely will prevent any shortsighted moves.

… right?!

McShay has us drafting Pickett as an attempt for Rhule to save his job. Really hope we don’t allow a lame duck coach to saddle the Panthers with a mediocre QB for that reason

That's the main reason to not draft a QB.

I'll be very surprised if Cam is back this fall, or even in training camp.

seemed pretty obvious cam wasn't a huge fan of rhule and the new front office

To me, the QB move that makes the most sense in the top 10 is Seattle giving up a late pick for Mayfield, who is under contract for 1 more year, and taking Willis at 9. Then you find a QB guru to work with him on his footwork all spring, summer and fall in the hope of improving his accuracy, like the Ravens did with Lamar. I forget the name of the guru who they sent Lamar to. But I think that's Seattle's best way out of a bad QB situation.

Cam still has some value as basically a short yardage/goal line running back who could throw an occasional play action pass. I mean, I could see him running for 8-10 td's in that role.

To me, the QB move that makes the most sense in the top 10 is Seattle giving up a late pick for Mayfield, who is under contract for 1 more year, and taking Willis at 9. Then you find a QB guru to work with him on his footwork all spring, summer and fall in the hope of improving his accuracy, like the Ravens did with Lamar. I forget the name of the guru who they sent Lamar to. But I think that's Seattle's best way out of a bad QB situation.

Of course what we want is for the Seahawks to give up #9, next year’s 1st, a 2nd, and a late rounder for #6 and a 7th to take Willis.

The Panthers must draft Neal, Okwonu, or Cross.

Pull for teams to draft Javon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson, Malik Willis, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Sauce Gardner, Kyle Hamilton, and anyone else with the top five picks so the Panthers have extra options.

Back