• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

Jimbo Fisher was supposed to save A&M, wasn't he? LOL, couldn't happen to a bigger asshole.

Jimbo Fisher was supposed to save A&M, wasn't he? LOL, couldn't happen to a bigger asshole.

Did Jimbo get fired? I'm not seeing anything. I'm really trying not to turn on ESPN with all the NBA and NFL news today. But this may put it over the top.

100%, Wisconsin trails only tOSU in Big 10 wins over the last 10 years, and the Badgers have a 10 game lead over third place Michigan State.

Nebraska is 9th in the Big 10 over that time, with 31 fewer wins than Wisconsin. Nebraska is far behind. FWIW, even with the Pac 12 in jeopardy, think it's easier to recruit and win at Arizona State than Nebraska.
Nebraska has just been stuck with some bad coaching decisions the last 10-15 years much like Wake basketball was. Tennessee has proven you can rise from years in the wilderness and still get to the top. Cornhuskers have great facilities, plenty of support, plenty of money, and are in Big 10 west division. I wouldn't count them out yet.

Tennessee has proven that if you hire a former national championship QB who had coaching success at UCF, you will make it to the top.

Oh wait.

Most every single Power 5 big state school is one good coach away from being a playoff contender, especially a school that spends big on football based on legacy

yeah I mean look at Illinois. Dogshit for decades but if they continue to win they're in the playoffs most likely.

Nebraska has just been stuck with some bad coaching decisions the last 10-15 years much like Wake basketball was. Tennessee has proven you can rise from years in the wilderness and still get to the top. Cornhuskers have great facilities, plenty of support, plenty of money, and are in Big 10 west division. I wouldn't count them out yet.
The Frost flop is a bit befuddling. I mean, sometimes you make a solid hire by all appearances and they just don't pan out.

Oh definitely. I was just making a joke. It’s especially true now that a new coach can just grab an experienced QB out of the portal.

The problem for Nebraska is that the home state doesn't produce any talent, like none, because very few people live there: it ranks just ahead of Idaho and just behind New Mexico, in population, and schools in those states aren't competing for Natty's anytime soon. To compare it to Wisconsin, Wisconsin has three times the people of Nebraska and produces an average of 5 to 10 D1 football players a year, and Wisconsin almost always lands all of them. Nebraska often produces none. So, Nebraska starts off in a hole each recruiting cycle.

With no instate talent, they have to compete with everyone else in Texas, California, Florida and everywhere else for players. In the 90s, Nebraska had superior facilities (the Huskers were way ahead of the game in weight training.... and juicing) and a current record of Nattys which allowed them to land talent comparable to other elite programs. Now, everyone has elite facilities. If you are a solid player from Texas and either didn't get recruited by the Longhorns or didn't want to go there, Nebraska was an attractive option. These days, TCU, Texas Tech, OK State and dozens of other schools are more attractive options.... Heck, such a player may even want to go to Wake Forest over Nebraska. That was never the case. There are just a lot more schools in the mix for top-end recruits willing to leave their home area than ever before and Nebraska is just one of them and behind many if not most of them; why would anyone want to spend 4 years in the desolate prairie of Lincoln Nebraska? For the same reason that not many people choose to live in Nebraska, there aren't that many people that want to go to college in Nebraska.

With a great coach if Nebraska goes the developmental route, they can be a 7-8 win team as a ceiling, but the days are forever gone when Nebraska is annual top 10 program.

Last edited:
USF fired Jeff Scott. He was in his 3rd season with a 4-26 record. He only had one FBS against Temple who USF lost to yesterday 54-28.

The problem for Nebraska is that the home state doesn't produce any talent, like none, because very few people live there: it ranks just ahead of Idaho and just behind New Mexico, in population, and schools in those states aren't competing for Natty's anytime soon. To compare it to Wisconsin, Wisconsin has three times the people of Nebraska and produces an average of 5 to 10 D1 football players a year, and Wisconsin almost always lands all of them. Nebraska often produces none. So, Nebraska starts off in a hole each recruiting cycle.

With no instate talent, they have to compete with everyone else in Texas, California, Florida and everywhere else for players. In the 90s, Nebraska had superior facilities (the Huskers were way ahead of the game in weight training.... and juicing) and a current record of Nattys which allowed them to land talent comparable to other elite programs. Now, everyone has elite facilities. If you are a solid player from Texas and either didn't get recruited by the Longhorns or didn't want to go there, Nebraska was an attractive option. These days, TCU, Texas Tech, OK State and dozens of other schools are more attractive options.... Heck, such a player may even want to go to Wake Forest over Nebraska. That was never the case. There are just a lot more schools in the mix for top-end recruits willing to leave their home area than ever before and Nebraska is just one of them and behind many if not most of them; why would anyone want to spend 4 years in the desolate prairie of Lincoln Nebraska? For the same reason that not many people choose to live in Nebraska, there aren't that many people that want to go to college in Nebraska.

With a great coach if Nebraska goes the developmental route, they can be a 7-8 win team as a ceiling, but the days are forever gone when Nebraska is annual top 10 program.
Your description of Nebraska's recruiting challenges is correct. The one thing I'll say though is that despite all those inherent challenges, and constant failure on the field, Scott Frost was able to land top 25 recruiting classes every year he was at Nebraska other than this past year when he was a dead man walking.

My view is that the ceiling for Nebraska is more than 7 or 8 wins. Can they compete for national titles? Clearly not. But they still have the history, fan support and infrastructure to win 6-7 in down years and 8-10 in most others.

If Auburn doesn't go after Dell McGee as its head coach, that new AD is an idiot.

Back