• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

I've thought Dabo to Bama once Nick is done for a few years now given his ties to Bama and success at Clemson. I can see Auburn trying to get him first and throwing a lot of money his way.

Whoever follows saban is in for a nightmare of criticism. No way Dabo trades in his cushy schedule at Clemson for that. Auburn is also not known for sanity when it comes to coaches… why would Dabo leave a premier job with the easiest path to the playoffs.

Told ya. Dabo is a go-to for any big job in the SEC from this point forward. His name has to be in the conversation.
I suspect you aren't that close to the Clemson community and fanbase. Dabo's making over $9 million per year. He's the greatest coach of all time at Clemson. He's built his career, legacy and raised his family there. To do what he's done at Clemson in the shadow of GA, UT, Bama, Auburn, Fl, FSU and others is frankly remarkable. Whatever you think about him he's not stupid enough to follow Nick Saban or any other SEC coach into the depths of coaching hell. He has nothing to prove to anyone. His future and legacy are secure right where he is. He's not going to Alabama or anywhere else.

I suspect you aren't that close to the Clemson community and fanbase. Dabo's making over $9 million per year. He's the greatest coach of all time at Clemson. He's built his career, legacy and raised his family there. To do what he's done at Clemson in the shadow of GA, UT, Bama, Auburn, Fl, FSU and others is frankly remarkable. Whatever you think about him he's not stupid enough to follow Nick Saban or any other SEC coach into the depths of coaching hell. He has nothing to prove to anyone. His future and legacy are secure right where he is. He's not going to Alabama or anywhere else.

Thanks for the novel. I said he would be in the conversation!! Please read the entire thread. It makes things flow much better. And, WHERE in the holy hell did I say he was stupid? I'm glad that his agent is posting on a Wake board.

1) He’s a Bama alum
2) Saban makes 12 million
3) he has an ego and wants to win on the biggest stage
4) Roy Williams didn’t give a shit about Carolina either

I wouldn’t bet on Dabo ending his career at Clemson personally. All the reasons given above are legit reasons to stay. But with all the money flowing in the sport to both coaches and players, it seems easy to tempt a coach. Or easy to fall off for a recruiting cycle and never recover.

Yeah I think the Kelly and FULR moves last offseason show it would be very easy to answer the call from another big program.

Why would Dabo follow Saban when he has already built his own dynasty at Clemson making just as much money? Coaching Clemson to multiple championships most likely trumps Dabo’s 7 career receptions playing for Alabama 30 years ago. Not exactly a Scott Frost-situation.

Why would Dabo follow Saban when he has already built his own dynasty at Clemson making just as much money? Coaching Clemson to multiple championships most likely trumps Dabo’s 7 career receptions playing for Alabama 30 years ago. Not exactly a Scott Frost-situation.
Saban currently makes 30% more money than Dabo.

Saban looks like he could have a major coronary at any moment on the sidelines.
Dabo smiles, chews his gum, and says dadgum a lot

What other job openings was Clemson competing with at the time Dabo negotiated? He makes 9 mill now, where could he go to make 12? Alabama. I am completely confident that Clemson would match whatever Dabo was offered elsewhere.

I get that most all of us would like a 30% pay raise. However, I can't imagine what changes in your life if you make 9 million a year versus 12 million a year. You can do anything you want with either amount of money. And you've clearly set up your family for generations. Mostly, you stick with the job that would provide the most satisfaction. An extra year or two at Clemson makes up that difference rather quickly.

You also need to factor in the massive egos of college football coaches. While money may not motivate Dabo to go to Bama, the opportunity to see if he could be successful there might.

You also need to factor in the massive egos of college football coaches. While money may not motivate Dabo to go to Bama, the opportunity to see if he could be successful there might.
How do you think folks who are essentially sociopaths keep score with each other if not for contracts?

I would much rather put up with the Clemson fanbase and try to win for them than the Alabama fanbase. From his press conferences, including the one where he went on and on about how the players want to win more than anyone, I get the feeling Saban doesn't really care for his own fans.

Back