• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

The thing about Sean Lewis is he is an innovator. Kent State traditionally is the worst program in the MAC. Winning 7 games there is like winning 9 or 10 at Miami(O) or Toledo. If you watch Kent play they do things differently than everyone else. Also, because Kent is the weakest financially among MAC teams, they play the most brutal OOC schedule. Every MAC team plays one big boy in their OOC games, Kent often plays 3. This year, Kent play at Oklahoma, at Washington and at UGA - just insane (they were reasonably competitive in all 3). ECU has far more resources to build a winning program than Kent State. If Sean Lewis coached ECU, they would be better. If Mike Houston coached Kent State they would be worse.

The one thing that favors Houston is that he is a VA and Carolinas guy. Lewis is a midwestern guy. That does carry some importance.

FWIW, one of my plays this weekend is Kent -5.5 at Miami (O). Opened at -2. Lot of people pounced. Still like it. Think Kent is the best team in the MAC.

The thing about Sean Lewis is he is an innovator. Kent State traditionally is the worst program in the MAC. Winning 7 games there is like winning 9 or 10 at Miami(O) or Toledo. If you watch Kent play they do things differently than everyone else. Also, because Kent is the weakest financially among MAC teams, they play the most brutal OOC schedule. Every MAC team plays one big boy in their OOC games, Kent often plays 3. This year, Kent play at Oklahoma, at Washington and at UGA - just insane (they were reasonably competitive in all 3). ECU has far more resources to build a winning program than Kent State. If Sean Lewis coached ECU, they would be better. If Mike Houston coached Kent State they would be worse.

The one thing that favors Houston is that he is a VA and Carolinas guy. Lewis is a midwestern guy. That does carry some importance.

FWIW, one of my plays this weekend is Kent -5.5 at Miami (O). Opened at -2. Lot of people pounced. Still like it. Think Kent is the best team in the MAC.
I mean ECU won all of 1 more game than Kent State did in the 3 years prior to Mike Houston being hired. They actually won fewer conference games than Kent State did.

There is no doubt that ECU has more resources, but Scottie Montgomery also did a very bad job and ran it into the ground. It is also in a much more challenging conference.

Also probably worth mentioning that the last Kent State head coach that got hired into the P5 was Darrell Hazel. That didn't go so well for Purdue.

After last night, I would have to think Norvell's seat is getting warmer. That was just inexcusable game management. On the road, you kick the FG and head to the airport.

After last night, I would have to think Norvell's seat is getting warmer. That was just inexcusable game management. On the road, you kick the FG and head to the airport.
You've seen their kicker, right?

You talking about the guy who drilled a 47 yarder in his only attempt yesterday?
Yes, he is also 5/10 on the year. I'm trying to score a TD if at all possible in that situation before relying on that kicker.

Yes, he is also 5/10 on the year. I'm trying to score a TD if at all possible in that situation before relying on that kicker.
The same guy who missed the 55 yard attempt against Wake, which was made longer and harder by a penalty before the kick? And the guy who the coach didn't trust to kick extra points before asking him to make the near impossible kick? Norvell really messing with the kicker. To abuse an old "Berraism" 50% of kicking is 90% mental.

The same guy who missed the 55 yard attempt against Wake, which was made longer and harder by a penalty before the kick? And the guy who the coach didn't trust to kick extra points before asking him to make the near impossible kick? Norvell really messing with the kicker. To abuse an old "Berraism" 50% of kicking is 90% mental.
Going for 2 down 15 is actually an analytics decision. If you get it then two TDs puts you in front. If not then you get a chance to get back to 7 on the next one.

You've seen their kicker, right?

I think it's beyond just kicking a FG. Did you see their bonehead, and I mean BONEHEAD, penalties with the game on the line? Some of those clowns would never sniff the field with Clawson as their HC. A team that is that undisciplined is a direct reflection on its head coach.

Oklahoma has to at least send feelers out to Rhule's agent right? After putting a big fat 0 up against Texas, and their impending move to the SEC, they got to be just a tad bit worried about Venables. I am not saying they are looking to fire Venables already, but just like a hmmm Rhule was able to recruit Texas really well, we would be the best job by far, maybe he would be interested, kind of thing.

Oklahoma has to at least send feelers out to Rhule's agent right? After putting a big fat 0 up against Texas, and their impending move to the SEC, they got to be just a tad bit worried about Venables. I am not saying they are looking to fire Venables already, but just like a hmmm Rhule was able to recruit Texas really well, we would be the best job by far, maybe he would be interested, kind of thing.
Lincoln Riley took 3 of their best players with him to USC. Including a Heisman candidate. I think there were numerous transfers that left for other schools. Venables was left in a bad spot. The media ranked them off of their name.

As much as I despise OU, Venables is the man for the job and needs to "bleed" all of Lincoln Riley's influence from the program. The defense has sucked for years but a high scoring offense always hid an atrocious defense that was held together by scotch tape. However with portal and OU name, Brett better turn it around some next year or he will get the boot.

He could lose the rest of his games this year (a reasonable possibility, IMO) and he would be safe for at least another season. The fans are restless (actually, pretty divided, with a fair portion still on the "trust the process" train), but the donors and administration are not and they make the calls.

I did not expect such a disaster or anything close to it. Seems to me to be a perfect storm of everything. Gabriel has played merely ok on the whole-- great in some spots, but missing layup throws on third downs which put the team in a hole. OU hasn't had a QB miss those types of throws since John Blake was coach in 96-98. That includes a few lean years. Without Gabriel, the QB room is really, really bad. Beville is legitimately the worst QB I have ever seen at the college level, and I've seen some shitty Wake teams. This lack of QB depth can be blamed on FULR, though not having a QB who is even remotely competent as a backup can be blamed on the current staff. They did try to land Jaxson Dart after DG committed, and that would've helped, but he didn't want the competition and Ole Miss probably had a better NIL package. They ended up with Davis Beville (Pitt 3rd stringer), General Booty (JUCO), and Nick Evers (true freshman). I find it hard to believe that neither of the last two are better than Beville, but whatever. It is what it is. And without DG, OU has zero shot at winning a game. Maybe they would've done better with Jaxson Dart, but Caleb Williams dicked around for so long that they had to bring in Gabriel. He was literally an hour or two away from being officially enrolled at UCLA.

D is a disaster. Perhaps it was foolish to think that better coaching would lead to a better defense when 4-5 of last year's D went to the NFL. Grinch (former DC now at USC) rotated guys heavily, so there was an expectation that there wouldn't be much dropoff in skill and they'd be better coached. Trying to ID the problem here is tough, and I'm always wary of explanations which throw the previous staff under the bus when they're kind of intangible (lack of QB depth is tangible, so for that I do blame the previous staff). But the rumblings are that they are just not picking up some very basic concepts in coverage, and also that other guys screw up trying to cover for another guy's bust. The Grinch D was apparently really basic, meant to reduce thinking, and apparently it's quite difficult to coach out bad habits. This makes sense to me, but it also makes sense to coach with the players you have and the coaches aren't doing that. They're sticking with the plan because the kids are showing in practice that they get it-- it's just during the game where they all have bust after bust. If you watched OU in the first 3 games and particularly against Nebraska (who, despite being a bad team, does have a pulse), this wasn't an issue, but some things were exposed on tape for conference play. 3 man rush is definitely not generating any pressure, though, so that may get mostly scrapped moving forward.

The other issue is that I think the Big XII, top to bottom, is as solid as it has been in many years. It doesn't have any world beaters, but it's pretty good. There are some teams that will go 6-6 that would've been 8-4 or 9-3 in previous seasons.

Agree that the Big 12 is really deep. Every Big 12 team is in the top 50 in almost every power rating. That is virtually unprecedented. The vaunted SEC has 3 sub 50 teams (Mizzou, Auburn and Vandy), the Big 10 has five sub 50 teams (NW, Indiana, Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska), the Pac 12 has 4 (Stanford, Arizona, AZ State and Cal). In the ACC, everyone in the Coastal except for possibly Pitt and UNC is sub 50 as is BC. Playing in conference with no off weeks is really tough. FWIW, lots of people have Texas power-rated top 5 in the nation, but they have two losses; so, it doesn't matter.

Here are some plays:

UMASS +17
Kent/Toledo U 62
Arkansas +1
Kentucky +4.5
Utah -3

Really interesting game ATS is Clemson at FSU. Opened at Clemson -6 the professional bettors pounded FSU and the line dropped to 3.5. All of the public money is on Clemson and the line is now up to 4.5. Pros versus Joes game. I know the prevailing sentiment here is all on Clemson. Think FSU has a chance. Clemson is getting way too much credit for handling NC State at home. The Pack have been dreadful all year. They have no offense.

Venables may be the answer for OU. But any adult who has that little self control needs to learn how to manage himself before he can manage others. That may work as an assistant but not as the head coach

Back