• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

I'm so confused about the Griffis transfer - wasn't he in line to be our starting QB next year?

The COVID thing has got to be a rumor - wouldn't the team have been required to get vaxxed this year? So what's the damn point of quitting now if you've already gotten one shot? I guess it could be understandable if it is a new requirement and he's a massive redneck.

One other explanation could be that Sam wants to improve the old draft stock after 8 interceptions and 6 fumbles in his last 5 games and smash more ACC records in a 6th year. Unlikely though.

Last edited:
We are fitting right in with the rest. Fans all over the ACC hating on their football coaches. NC State been doing it for years. UNC fans on triple hate for their coach. Clemson fans going sour on Dabo. Louisville wants their coach gone and have for two years. In fact, as I see it, the only fans in ACC who like their coach right now are Duke fans. FSU fans are lightening up a little too. I like our coach. He's a great football coach.

We can like and be grateful for our coach and hope he can still address some areas of weakness and stubbornness. In fact it’s precisely because he’s so good that I wish he would tweak a few areas, because he’s possible of achieving even greater things here.

I'm working on a breakdown of the beginning and end of half/game possessions for the whole season (except VMI). I'm up to the bye week. I basically do a game at a time when I think about it, so don't expect anything soon. I will post a thread on it when I'm done.

Wake got the ball to start the 2nd half against Vandy, Liberty, Clemson, FSU, BC, and Army. I don't know if Wake won the toss and deferred or if the opponent won the toss and took the ball. Wake started the 2nd half with a TD drive against Vandy, Clemson, FSU, and Army and started with 3 and outs against Liberty and BC. So that's pretty good to start the season.

Last edited:
This Griffis thing is weird right? His older brother is going to be the starter next year and I would imagine Brett would be qb3? With Kern as backup, but seems like he could easily compete with Kern for backup spot.

This Griffis thing is weird right? His older brother is going to be the starter next year and I would imagine Brett would be qb3? With Kern as backup, but seems like he could easily compete with Kern for backup spot.
It's particularly confusing because nothing about our QB situation has changed. This is what things looked like when he committed. In fact it's better for him because Edwards left. Maybe we're reaching out to some guys to transfer them in for a year? Maybe he doesn't love it at Wake and that combined with lack of PT is the issue. But surely he didn't think he'd be getting PT so early, did he?

It's particularly confusing because nothing about our QB situation has changed. This is what things looked like when he committed. In fact it's better for him because Edwards left. Maybe we're reaching out to some guys to transfer them in for a year? Maybe he doesn't love it at Wake and that combined with lack of PT is the issue. But surely he didn't think he'd be getting PT so early, did he?

Mitch will be only one year ahead of Bret for football eligibility. Because of the non-counting Covid year, Mitch will be a rSoph in 23. Bret will be a rFr in 23. Bret would have been in line for only one year as a starter at Wake, unless he beat out his older brother and Kern sooner.

Maybe Sam has decided to come back for another year?

In the unlikely event that happens, I would expect Mitch, who started one game this year to be leaving to start somewhere. He'll be a fourth year sophomore.

Unlikely.

Packer interviewed him about the Piccolo award and he seems to be moving on.

Sam has said on multiple occasions that this is his last year. The only waver was the million dollar NIL deal hypothetical.

The ultimate blueprint behind a team that opts to defer at the opening coin-flip is more late-game possessions. It’s typically advantageous for a team to gain automatic possession after halftime if they play tough defense and frequently limit scoring opportunities for the opposition. A team that boasts a potent offensive scoring attack is more likely to receive the first half kick-off because it grants an immediate chance to score. The game is impacted by which team receives the second-half kick-off, regardless.

No idea about the writer but this sounds like it applies to us.

I’d also want to know how many possessions teams get in a half. I think the problem with Clawson’s position on this is it doesn’t matter to him is his defense or offense is good or bad.

This season hurts more because there are so relatively few opportunities at Wake to achieve those "special" seasons. Certainly could have/should have been another 10+ win season.

I'm really intrigued to see what the new NIL fund chaired by our heavy hitters can do. We no longer have any big "needs" in terms of athletics facilities. If those millions that have been earmarked for facilities in the past start flowing into players' pockets, I'd expect our recruiting to significantly improve in football/basketball, particularly with our ability to attract proven, impact transfers.
Don’t our locker rooms need renovating badly?

I'm so confused about the Griffis transfer - wasn't he in line to be our starting QB next year?

The COVID thing has got to be a rumor - wouldn't the team have been required to get vaxxed this year? So what's the damn point of quitting now if you've already gotten one shot? I guess it could be understandable if it is a new requirement and he's a massive redneck.

One other explanation could be that Sam wants to improve the old draft stock after 8 interceptions and 6 fumbles in his last 5 games and smash more ACC records in a 6th year. Unlikely though.
he definitely is leaving because he doesn't want to get vaccinated. coaches told him that it was required by state law for any football players to get vaxxed so he's moving to a different state. he saw the issues that it caused for sam this year and was worried.

he definitely is leaving because he doesn't want to get vaccinated. coaches told him that it was required by state law for any football players to get vaxxed so he's moving to a different state. he saw the issues that it caused for sam this year and was worried.
If that is the case, it sounds like he isn’t bright at all since Sam’s issue had absolutely nothing to do with a vaccine. People are so skullfuckingly stupid.

Unbelievable. smh

Back