• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

What does Cawthorn do now? Maybe he can finally attend the Naval Academy or get that Paralympic gold medal.

Cawthorn will be in jail in a couple of years. Not from any political stuff, but because he can’t function in regular society.

Imagine being so trumpian they turn on you. Shocking really.

How many one-term congressmen have there been? I'm sure lots but I can't think of one off the top of my head

Thanks for the list. That’s what happened to Riggleman, the Bigfoot guy.

Suddenly Pennsylvania Republicans Are OK With Counting Mail-In Ballots
LANCASTER, Pa. — When Pennsylvania’s GOP Senate contest is finally decided, it will come down to a thing Republicans love to hate when it’s convenient — mail-in voting.

But in this case, the mail-in ballots still being counted will prove to be decisive for either Mehmet Oz, the Donald Trump-backed TV doctor, or David McCormick, the former hedge fund executive. Both candidates are waiting for the remaining non-Election Day votes to be tabulated, with Oz holding a slight lead. The race was too close to call as of Wednesday morning.

“Based on how many uncounted absentee ballots there are and the margin by which Dave has won them so far, that’s why we are confident of victory. Dave will win this race,” tweeted a top McCormick strategist, Jeff Roe.

At their election night parties on opposite ends of the state, both Oz and McCormick were confident.

“When all the votes are tallied, I am confident we will win. We are making a ferocious charge, but when it’s this close, what else would you expect? Everything else about this campaign has been tight,” Oz said.

“We’re gonna win this campaign … right now we have tens of thousands of mail-in ballots that have not been counted,” McCormick told his supporters.

Pennsylvania Republicans had a much different reaction in 2020, when former President Donald Trump prevailed with the bulk of in-person votes, but President Joe Biden won the mail-in vote, propelling his close victory in the state and Trump’s subsequent failed frenzy to prove there was voter fraud.

The day after the 2020 election, Trump and his allies accused Democrats of trying to steal the election and sought to stop Pennsylvania’s continuing tally of absentee ballots as they overcame his lead over Biden.

Pennsylvania allows no-excuse absentee voting, meaning any registered voter can vote by mail for any reason. But GOP lawmakers have been working furiously to overturn the 2019 law they helped pass, challenging it in a lawsuit now pending before the state Supreme Court.

With roughly 95% of votes counted, Oz was leading McCormick by a fraction of a percentage point — fewer than 2,000 votes. Oz was stronger in Election Day voting, while McCormick outpaced him in the mail-vote count. Any margin of victory less than 0.5% triggers an automatic recount under state law.

Trump’s big 2020 lie and baseless fraud claims are still driving forces in the GOP, even if candidates haven’t made it an excuse for the 2022 results. Pennsylvania Republicans on Tuesday elected Doug Mastriano to be their gubernatorial nominee. Mastriano, a state senator, has been a major force in efforts to overturn the 2020 election, and was in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021. He has called for an end to the state’s no-excuse absentee voting law.

Oz has previously embraced Trump’s ideas about election fraud, saying in an April debate that Republicans “can’t move on” from the 2020 election. But the day before this year’s election, Oz refused to say the 2020 vote was stolen.

“I want to be careful. Republicans are about fixing things,” Oz told a TV anchor Monday, arguing the state still needs to “diagnose” the roots of voters’ fraud concerns.

In a Bloomberg feature, McCormick hedged when pressed about election fraud. “I think that within Pennsylvania, certainly there were lots of doubts,” he said.

None of the GOP Senate candidates blamed Tuesday’s close contest on voter fraud — even Kathy Barnette, a hard-right commentator who refused to concede a 2020 U.S. House race she lost by nearly 20 points due to baseless fraud allegations.

“In order to steal the election away from me, they lied, and they did a lot of it,” Barnette told her supporters Tuesday.

Even with her third-place finish assured, Barnette didn’t give up or congratulate her opponents.

“They haven’t called it,” she said. “I’m not conceding, so don’t report it.”

So in PA the Republican candidate for governor is an insurrectionist who claims to be opposed to the mail-in vote law that he voted for. Meanwhile the two Republican candidates for Senate are waiting for the mail in votes to determine a winner. (And therefore, I guess, to determine who will claim the mail in votes were fraudulent.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...e_of_Representatives_who_served_a_single_term

Joe Cunningham, SC 1st. A Dem candidate wins a red district in a non presidential election year because fewer people vote, but two years later when the pubs come out to vote for the president it switches back.

I worked for Bobby Bright's 2010 campaign. It was just a blood bath with angry, mouth-breathing tea partiers crawling out from under their rocks to shell Obama. Little did we know it would get worse. Damn near every person I talked to over the course of 6 months would go on liberal hating rants (the way the campaign funding was set up, I had to say I worked for the Alabama Democratic Party first) before I'd mention that I'm representing Bobby Bright, to which 90% would say "Oh Bobby? Bobby's a great guy. Met him at such and such." But those dumbasses voted him out any way with their straight ticket ballots.

Last edited:
Without looking at the list, I'd venture there are very few 1st term congressmen who lost in the primary for the next election. Plenty of folks are 1-termers due to redistricting or a change in the political winds. But having your own party tell you to get the fuck out has to be pretty rare.

Without looking at the list, I'd venture there are very few 1st term congressmen who lost in the primary for the next election. Plenty of folks are 1-termers due to redistricting or a change in the political winds. But having your own party tell you to get the fuck out has to be pretty rare.

It also makes me kind of wonder if they all have compromising photos or skeletons in the closet and the establishment just decides to go ahead and break them out whenever the politician becomes unmanageable.

It also makes me kind of wonder if they all have compromising photos or skeletons in the closet and the establishment just decides to go ahead and break them out whenever the politician becomes unmanageable.

I wish they’d done that with fucking 45.

I wish they’d done that with fucking 45.

They road him as the slow moving jack ass that he is. Problem became the avalanche of idiots that are still crashing down around us. Those idiots don't even understand they are their own w9rst enemies.

It’s tremendously frustrating that seemingly the only region of the country where progressives can’t break into the Democratic Party is the deep South.

Back