• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 WFU bowl speculation thread

2015 = 3-9
2021 = 11-3

Yet according to this thread we're in the same place in 2022 as 2016. Y'all ridiculous

2015 = 3-9
2021 = 11-3

Yet according to this thread we're in the same place in 2022 as 2016. Y'all ridiculous
2016 = 6-6 after finishing the season 1-5 + Military Bowl (win)
2022 = 7-5 after finishing the season 1-4 + Military Bowl

The program fell back to the place it rose to six years ago.

So Gasparilla likely back in play for the ACC since Ohio State is going to go to the playoff. This means that an SEC team will get the ACC champion in the Orange Bowl so the ACC does not get the Reliaquest - leaving us with either Birmingham or Tampa as a flex option that the ACC will need to fill.

This is unfortunately very true. I really wish I knew what happened to this team. Clawson saying he's tired after this season and that the season was stressful in a number of ways, tells me something is just not right. Hopefully, Les or Conor can find out more in the off-season. But, I'd love to know why this team went south so quickly.
Haven’t you heard?

2016 = 6-6 after finishing the season 1-5 + Military Bowl (win)
2022 = 7-5 after finishing the season 1-4 + Military Bowl

The program fell back to the place it rose to six years ago.
And btw, at least that Military Bowl victory in 2016 was, I believe, over the AAC champion.

Have it from an unimpeachable source that Wake is pushing hard to get Tampa and to play Baylor. We apparently do not want ECU in the military bowl, but that’s plan B if plan A doesn’t work out.

Have it from an unimpeachable source that Wake is pushing hard to get Tampa and to play Baylor. We apparently do not want ECU in the military bowl, but that’s plan B if plan A doesn’t work out.
The battle of disgraced former top 10 teams

The battle of disgraced former top 10 teams
That’s part of the argument being made according to the person I texted back and forth with earlier today - two really good teams when they play well, will be a shootout and entertaining, two private Baptist schools going at it, ex Wake coach (Grobe, obviously) was called in to help Baylor get back on track back in the day, known for their academics but the football programs go toe to toe with other huge schools, Wake recruits hard in FL and many alums from the area so it will be well-attended, etc.

Personally, I’d love a FL bowl against Baylor. Currie is working every angle. Hope it works out.

That's a good chance at a respectable win in a good location.

That’s part of the argument being made according to the person I texted back and forth with earlier today - two really good teams when they play well, will be a shootout and entertaining, two private Baptist schools going at it, ex Wake coach (Grobe, obviously) was called in to help Baylor get back on track back in the day, known for their academics but the football programs go toe to toe with other huge schools, Wake recruits hard in FL and many alums from the area so it will be well-attended, etc.

Personally, I’d love a FL bowl against Baylor. Currie is working every angle. Hope it works out.
We’re NOT Baptist and Baylor is not a very good academic school (because it is so conservative that professors actually can’t teach and research a lot of things….they are closer to Liberty than you know) but otherwise, yes, I’m good with this.

Yeah. For example, Baylor is ranked in US News below State and tied with Clemson.

Tampa against Baylor would be good. Much better than Annapolis or anywhere vs ECU

We’re NOT Baptist and Baylor is not a very good academic school (because it is so conservative that professors actually can’t teach and research a lot of things….they are closer to Liberty than you know) but otherwise, yes, I’m good with this.
Well I mean I know we aren’t Baptist now but, our history has that connection. But yes, sorry…that was a poorly-worded sentence. My bad. Just passing along what I was told at a high level. Don’t like hearing that they are close to a Liberty. Yuck, not sure how much I like that. Seems like our best overall scenario, though so I’m good with it…especially if it’s in Tampa.

So, they actually tell professors certain topics they cannot research? I'm not asking a loaded question. I'm simply shocked this is going on in 2022.

I'd imagine that Duke, Wake, Cuse, and Pitt have all lobbied in varying degrees for Tampa as an option if available.

I'd imagine that Duke, Wake, Cuse, and Pitt have all lobbied in varying degrees for Tampa as an option if available.

Maybe but those three schools have much more of a presence in the northeast to travel to Boston, NYC, and Annapolis.

Yeah. For example, Baylor is ranked in US News below State and tied with Clemson.
I think we are trying to grease the skids any way we can. Words verbatim that were texted to me were ‘we want Baylor in Tampa bad. John is calling in every favor he has.’

Tampa may work out for Wake if Pitt or Cuse go to NY (I've seen Pitt projected by basically everybody there) and the other goes to Annapolis. Duke is just trying to avoid going to El Paso since nobody wants to go there (good bowl, but difficult/expensive to get to and not likely many fans travel at all).

Our main competition is Duke, apparently. But the fact that their fans don’t travel at all and their attendance was embarrassing this year at home is playing to Wake’s favor. Again, only passing along what I have been told. That about sums up the entire text conversation I had.

Back